Talk

Advanced search

Is Max too much of a dog's name?

(57 Posts)
lostandconfused2 Mon 25-Nov-19 16:40:01

I've finally decided on Max for my little boy, but I'm worried because it's the top name for male dogs! But it's the only name I really like bar Harrison, but that name rhymes with the surname so don't want to give him it!

I'm thinking Max William, though I might use my step-dad's name for his middle name.

I don't like the traditional names like Maxwell or Maximillian, just Max.

What do you think?

Busybeebeebee Tue 26-Nov-19 12:33:46

I have a Max. Be prepared that most Max’s I’ve ever known are wild children but that’s what makes them awesome grin

Chocaholic4672 Tue 26-Nov-19 12:39:21

I have a Max, I love the name. Someone said that Max's are wild....they are correct! Never a dull moment and he's now 14.

Cookit Tue 26-Nov-19 13:47:02

Of course it’s not a dog’s name!

Just because people like to name their dogs and other animals human names (and generally short names so that the dog recognises their name) doesn’t mean those names should be taken out of circulation.

BonBon411 Tue 26-Nov-19 14:48:43

Like Max but not with William.

CravingCheese Tue 26-Nov-19 17:16:55

As for children called Max being wild... The protagonist in where the wild things are is called Max as well. (it's a great book imo smile )

JemSynergy Tue 26-Nov-19 20:15:39

No of course it isn't. My daughter's teacher told her at the beginning of the term that her dog was called the same name - and my daughter's name isn't a name I'd associate with being a dog's name!

WildCherryBlossom Wed 27-Nov-19 11:32:56

I love the name Max. I know 6 humans with the name, 1 cat and no dogs.

Mamabear88 Wed 27-Nov-19 12:35:55

Max is a great name! Go for it

SaveKevin Wed 27-Nov-19 12:40:36

I know 2 human Max’s . It’s a good name.

Although 1 mum when pregnant would say things like “everywhere I look I keep seeing it, it’s like a sign”. Whilst filling the kettle.

But it seems a good name and I don’t think dog name.

blibblibs Wed 27-Nov-19 12:42:45

Max is a fine name, although mine is a very placid Max although there's still time for him to be wild!
Our neighbours at the time had a max dog but I just didn't care and a workmate has a max cat but it's still a fab boys name.

ajandjjmum Wed 27-Nov-19 12:53:49

I have a Max William!

He's 27 and likes his name, although oddly enough, he would quite like it to be a longer version - but known as Max.

We thought Maximillian was pretentious, Maxwell was coffee and hadn't heard of Maximus.

Great name - we've never worried about the dog link, although it's always been there.

Congratulations on your new baby - hope he brings you as much joy as ours has! flowers

sundowners Wed 27-Nov-19 13:48:26

No name is "a dogs name" so yes use it. Such an outdated notion! Dogs are called 10000s of things.

Leopardprintboots Wed 27-Nov-19 14:00:13

Have you named baby now @lostandconfused2

lostandconfused2 Wed 27-Nov-19 14:28:06

Yes @leopardprintboots He will be called Max for sure smile

Snowberry4 Wed 27-Nov-19 14:32:38

Max is lovelysmile

kjhkj Wed 27-Nov-19 14:34:05

There are four Max's in DS2s year group and two Max's in DS1's year group so its very common as a name and nobody will be thinking its a dog's name.

Leopardprintboots Wed 27-Nov-19 14:37:43

@lostandconfused2 thank you for updating us - great name choice! I don’t actually know any yet (or any dogs called Max)

PinkSpring Wed 27-Nov-19 14:46:17

Our DS is due soon and we are using Max. Thinking about Maximus as the BC name though to give him options.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 28-Nov-19 17:00:42

Maybe years and years ago but not now. I’m a teacher and I’ve taught countless Maxes.

It’s a nice name

PizzaExpressWoking Thu 28-Nov-19 17:07:22

Max is great. Never thought of it as a dog name.

Interesting that people are saying that boys named Max are wild. I only know one, but he does fit that description! Known as Mad Max for a reason...

HorridHamble Thu 28-Nov-19 17:17:06

I have a Max James. Human, not canine. I did know of a cat named Max, not any dogs though. I think it’s the perfect name (obviously!)

polkadotpixie Thu 28-Nov-19 17:31:02

I have a Max (he is human!)

I don't know if any dogs called Max although our neighbours cat is called Max

My MIL once said when I was pregnant "don't call him anything silly like Max or something, that's a dogs name"

We did anyway and she denies ever saying it now 😂

ThighThighOfthigh Fri 29-Nov-19 01:25:28

I have a Max Robert (Robert for my Dad). It's a wonderful name and he's good as gold. I wanted to call him Maximilian but thought it would be too much to live with. I've asked him and he would have hated longer versions.

ThighThighOfthigh Fri 29-Nov-19 01:28:46

Does everyone else call their Max Maxipoo? Is it just me?

notangelinajolie Fri 29-Nov-19 02:00:42

I'd go for Maximilian which was my boy name. I never got to use it because I had 3 girls. If you do please, please, please don't spell it with a double l.

Not keen on Max William.

How about
Maximilian Albert
Maximilian George
Maximilian Henry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »