Talk

Advanced search

Aurora?

(69 Posts)
Liverbird77 Sat 23-Nov-19 07:23:26

I'm newly pregnant, so we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl.
We have one ds, Hector. We have quite a few ideas for boys' names, but can't agree on girls'.
The one name we both like is Aurora, nn Rory.
What do you think?
Is it chavvy or lovely? Is it too popular - the new Ella?
All opinions welcome.

PetraRabbit Fri 29-Nov-19 22:30:42

Hector is a really great name. I'd go with Leonor which is a beautiful name. I think non-Spanish speakers are assuming it's pronounced lee-a-nor not lay-o-nor so ignore the fabric softener comments. I do think Aurora is becoming very trendy and will date.

formerbabe Fri 29-Nov-19 22:32:31

Nice written down but couldn't imagine using it in day to day conversation.

MissHenty Sat 30-Nov-19 08:04:31

I LOVE the name Aurora. Definitely not “c” word OP @Liverbird77

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 01-Dec-19 02:04:51

I love Aurora. I’d never use it though as I don’t like Ari or Rory for girls.

diddlediddle Sun 01-Dec-19 07:46:46

I think aurora goes nicely with hector and Rory is a nice nn

Lolacat1234 Sun 01-Dec-19 07:57:46

I like aurora but not Rory. Also love a previous poster a suggestion of aurelia and Rae for short!x

icecreamsundae32 Sun 01-Dec-19 08:06:35

Ariella?

Liverbird77 Sun 01-Dec-19 08:14:34

We can't have Aurelia, or any version thereof, because my husband's step dad has the male version as a middle name.
I wouldn't use it out of respect for his actual father, who is still alive and who we love very much.

HowToBeAWoman Sun 01-Dec-19 08:20:40

I think Aurora is lovely. I think it’s the best of your names list. Not sure I like Rory, though.

Astronica Sun 01-Dec-19 10:01:04

I really like Aurora and nickname Rory. I also like all the names on your list - particularly Octavia and Leonor. And Blythe is a favourite of mine and would be beautiful in the middle.

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Sun 01-Dec-19 20:35:46

Aurora is lovely.

OP if you love it, use it. We went with a name where there were only 15 other girls in the UK born that year with it. Never regretted it - it is so "her".

LizzyMargaret Sun 01-Dec-19 20:44:29

Aurora Blythe is stunning! We went for a middle name that’s a bit more traditional for our Aurora too. A variant of mine and my grandmother’s name, Lillian. I shorten it to Aura because it makes me think of the Borealis. I can’t understand how any name can be chavvy especially just because it’s gaining popularity.

cerios156 Mon 02-Dec-19 00:11:00

My mother was intending to call me Aurora, but went with Sophia (a family name) instead.

I would rather have been Aurora. It sounds distinctive, evocative, and unique.

cerios156 Mon 02-Dec-19 00:15:48

Just out of curiosity @Liverbird77 , why would using Aurelia be offensive or uncomfortable for your father in law?

My first thought would be that naming your daughter "after" your FIL would be an honor for him. Is it a cultural thing that you would not want to do that until after the person has died?

Just never heard of this type of situation before, don't mean to pry.

cerios156 Mon 02-Dec-19 00:17:09

@Liverbird77 Apologies, I just reread your update and see where I got confused. Totally get it now!

HotSince82 Mon 02-Dec-19 00:23:56

Raphaella
Leocadia
Valentina
Delilah
Sylvia

All have a similar vibe but much less 'Disney'

Liverbird77 Mon 02-Dec-19 12:27:50

Thanks for all the latest comments. It's very reassuring to read a lot of people like it.
@HotSince82 Rafaella was discussed (f rather than ph though) but we like it rather than love it. Dh suggested Sylvia, but I don't like it. You are certainly attuned to our taste!
@cerios156 we both like dh's step dad, he's been in his life since he was six, but it would not be right as his dad is very much alive and kicking!
@LizzyMargaret lovely name!

MissHenty Mon 02-Dec-19 13:24:12

@cerios156 did you ever think of changing your name to Aurora out of interest?c

QueenBlueberries Mon 02-Dec-19 13:26:50

It's a lovely name but a bit of a mouthful. I know an Ozora which is a lovely name too, and Aria.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »