Talk

Advanced search

Down to two names, but are either 'the one'?!

(31 Posts)
Fivebyfive2 Mon 21-Oct-19 21:52:11

Hi all! I posted a while ago about a short list of names for our first baby - we're due to have a boy in Jan 🙂

We've got the list down to 2 names:

Joseph /Joe - this was my choice. I've always liked the name and we both like that it's sort of traditional but can be shortened/adapted to a few different nick names if preferred.

Zack - this is my dh's choice, we like that it's nice and short, different without being too 'out there'.

So, we are now trying to decide between the 2 names... But we've also both said that, although we really like both names, I prefer one and he prefers another; so would we be better off trying to find a name that we both like equally?? Is this realistic?

Has anyone else been torn between some names but then had a totally different one jump out at them and it's like 'that's the one'? Maybe when he's actually here, we will just know?

diddlediddle Mon 21-Oct-19 22:01:35

You've clearly given this a lot of thought and probably been through a million names so I don't think it's likely that you'll miraculously find one name that you both like equally at this stage.

It's good you've got two names that you both like even if you have your preferences.

Having two to choose from when he's born is a good idea, you can decide then but it won't be too overwhelming because it's only between two.

I personally agree with you that Joseph is nicer and a more versatile name but why not wait til he's here and not stress. Good luck!

navteexo Mon 21-Oct-19 22:10:46

I think zack is lovely

Collision Mon 21-Oct-19 22:13:11

Zac Joseph

Not keen on the K in Zack but I love the name.

Idontneedrescuing Mon 21-Oct-19 22:13:42

We had only two and when he arrived he just looked most like one, even though he was a baby he did! It was the one my husband preferred but I felt like the right one for us both so it was easy. Getting to two is a good place to be!

flowerstar19 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:13:44

My first born is Joseph and I absolutely love it! When we were down to the last few names while I was pregnant we wrote them individually on post it notes and stuck them on his bedroom door, we walked past them multiple times everyday so it was a good way to help decide. Plus we practised bellowing up the stairs 'Joseph put your shoes on' etc - which now we do a dozen times a day for real! Might sound mad but it helped us decide.

xXx

PushkinTheCat Mon 21-Oct-19 22:14:33

Joseph is my favourite! But Joseph Zachary would be nice - or Zachary Joseph, to be known as Zack.

Loaf90 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:14:46

Zak is so chavvy. Go for Joseph

Loaf90 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:15:18

Sorry, *Zack

joystir59 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:17:34

Joseph Zachary or Zachary Joseph are both great

Mumdiva99 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:28:14

If you had Joseph Zack he could be known as JZ.

Fivebyfive2 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:31:52

Thanks all! We have talked about using one as a first name and the other as a middle. I have also suggested Zach instead of Zack, dh doesn't mind as he says they sound the same. I think we'll just see how we feel when he's here 😀

MrsNoMopp Mon 21-Oct-19 23:20:34

Joseph Zachary is nice.

I know of an Isaac who is Zac for short.

MissHenty Mon 21-Oct-19 23:35:51

It sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought into this and for me, I’m certain the ‘perfect’ name doesn’t exist if you’re slightly indecisive (like me!)

It’s great you’ve got two lovely names there

I prefer Joseph. It’s grown on me so much recently and I now adore it

Shadow1234 Tue 22-Oct-19 01:37:53

Zachary

EileenAlanna Tue 22-Oct-19 01:56:41

Both names are really lovely but I'm not a fan of shortened names being registered on the birth certificate. It seems a bit of a fad that'll probably not really date well - everyone who was called Joe, Jack, Ben etc were always known to be "officially" Joseph, John, Benjamin/Benedict on their bc & once they've become adults kids may well be glad to have something more to fall back on than what sounded cute when they were babies. How about Zachariah instead of Zachary if you go for that one? Slightly more unusual & still one that could be shortened to Zach. Congratulations & good luck with the pregnancy flowers

Jossina Tue 22-Oct-19 05:04:41

Zack/Zach/Zac as a nickname is great, so is Joseph. Be ready for Joey though if you go with Joseph.

Becxs Tue 22-Oct-19 09:11:28

I have a Zach and a Joel, and I love these names

GU24Mum Tue 22-Oct-19 09:19:32

We couldn't decide on DS's name as we liked very different things. We looked at finding one we both felt the same about but ended up being something like each of our 15th choice so in the end you either need to agree that one if you gets your choice this time or toss a coin! That assumes of course that you can both live with the other choice if necessary.

I think it took til DS was 4 for my OH to stop reminding he didn't really like the name!!

Lavenderblues Tue 22-Oct-19 10:28:38

Zac Zack Zak Zach etc sound like sounds from an action comic! I dislike it.

Joseph is much nicer.

user1493494961 Tue 22-Oct-19 10:42:53

Zachary Joseph (no 'K'). Don't understand why you would go for the full name with Joe but not Zack/Zach.

FizzyGreenWater Tue 22-Oct-19 13:30:46

Zach seems a bit tired these days. Joseph is a classic and Joe is such a good nn, go for that.

Difficultcustomer Tue 22-Oct-19 13:34:23

Either are nice so I like the idea of waiting and seeing whether he “fits” one or the other.

Lavenderblues Tue 22-Oct-19 15:28:57

Does a baby really 'look' like a Joseph, Stephen or Zachary?wink. All babies look pretty similar imo

MikeUniformMike Tue 22-Oct-19 18:49:31

I like Zac but not Zack and Zach.
Zachary is very popular.
I'd choose Joe/Joseph.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »