Talk

Advanced search

Page 3 | It’s time to ask for some help...

(69 Posts)
CloClose Sun 22-Sep-19 07:04:05

Almost 34 weeks with a baby girl and going round in circles with names. DH is not very good at making suggestions but very good at saying no. We have also tried to involve our DS who is almost 8 but it seems getting 3 people to agree is even harder than 2!

Please can I have opinions on the below and any suggestions for similar sounding ones that we may not have thought of?

Seren Isobel (Ren for nn) - top contender for a while but have been having a wobble the last few days.
Remi Isobel (Remi Belle) - worried about it being viewed as a boys name but at the same time still really like it.
Emmie - love it but DH doesn’t.
Etta - same as above. DH says no way!

Also quite like:
Lori
Erin
Lenna
Leni (stolen from another thread)

As you can see we seem to like short and also the ‘emi/eni’ sounds... help me please! grin

OP’s posts: |
CatteStreet Sun 20-Oct-19 08:27:18

'Seren Isobel is quite lovely and my favourite of your list. Erin is nice and my second choice.'

This. I don't like any of the others.
I don't understand why people plan 'nicknames' from birth, tbh. Seren is short enough not to 'need' a shortening. They will develop organically. Our dc all use their (longish) full names, and we and various friends call them by various shortenings.

CatteStreet Sun 20-Oct-19 08:29:20

Everly's awful.

Not keen on Elle, particularly (Ella is nicer), but Elle Alexandra is quite an elegant name.

Did anyone suggest Eleri?

CatteStreet Sun 20-Oct-19 08:34:22

Or how about Ellen?

CloClose Sun 20-Oct-19 08:36:48

We’ve discounted Everly and Erin (Erin discounted as we are not Irish and our son already has a name with Irish links).

We haven’t planned nicknames from birth and with our son nicknames have evolved, but it’s very hard when you both don’t agree easily and Seren worked in that I like Ren and DH likes Seren.

I still like Elle - now thinking Elle Marie perhaps.

We need a couple of choices so that when we look at her we can decide.

BikeRunSki Sun 20-Oct-19 08:37:18

Etta could be derived from Juliette, Harriet, Henrietta and Georgette off the top of my head.

Etta James was Jamesetta.

I know an Ettie, who is really an Esther.

BikeRunSki Sun 20-Oct-19 08:38:25

If you like Ren, then how about Wren?

daisypond Sun 20-Oct-19 09:13:00

Stella is lots nicer than Seren. Is that any good?

FrancisCrawford Sun 20-Oct-19 09:15:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CloClose Sun 20-Oct-19 09:35:13

Thanks all, I think the desperation to find a name is starting to cloud my judgement. It’s really stressing me out!!

Of the latest suggestions I only really like Lori but not sure I like it enough.

I quite like the ‘is’ sound so Nia/Lia/Tia (not Mia, too popular).

I’ve always like Ella which is probably why I’ve swayed to Elle but again, it’s just too popular. I don’t like Ellen.

It’s giving me a headache grin

CloClose Sun 20-Oct-19 09:35:46

Not ‘is’ ‘ia’

littlebillie Sun 20-Oct-19 09:50:34

Rowan
Vera
Robyn
Dawn

Sparklypurpleunicornsaremyfav Sun 20-Oct-19 10:31:06

Leah? It doesn't end in ia but has the same sound, I personally prefer this spelling instead of lia. I love the name but our surname begins with L sound it didn't sound right.
Leah elle surname
Leah seren surname
Seren nia surname

CatteStreet Sun 20-Oct-19 13:20:39

If you like Elle Marie, how about Mariella? Pretty, unusual, elegant and you can shorten it to Ella (or, at a pinch, Elle - I suppose you could also have Marielle) if you like.

CatteStreet Sun 20-Oct-19 13:21:55

Maria?

CatteStreet Sun 20-Oct-19 13:24:11

Or how about Thalia? Muse of comedy.

CloClose Mon 21-Oct-19 20:09:47

DH suggested Nina... originally I said no but it’s growing on me!! Thoughts?

Sparklypurpleunicornsaremyfav Mon 21-Oct-19 21:32:10

My very lovely mother in law is nina and I've only ever met another 2 who were also very nice. I like it and don't think you will come across too many others

missmouse101 Mon 21-Oct-19 21:37:32

Not Emmie, please. It sounds like M.E. Lori and Seren are nice.

Letthemysterybe Mon 21-Oct-19 21:47:02

Imogen / Immy / Imo / Jen

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in