Talk

Advanced search

Page 2 | I hate my friend's choice of name. Do I tell her?

(112 Posts)
mollpop Sun 30-Jun-19 21:54:06

Ok. I have a friend who has recently given birth to a beautiful baby boy. She's thinking of calling him Miller and asked me what I think. Do I tell her (in a tactful way)? FWIW I think it's a dreadful name.

OP’s posts: |
Runkle Sun 30-Jun-19 22:11:47

Unless it's Adolf then keep your opinion to yourself.

AverageMummy Sun 30-Jun-19 22:13:09

My sister tells me when she loves a name and usually says something like ‘not my style but anything you choose will become them’ when she hates one grin

So I’d just do that

Prettylittlelady Sun 30-Jun-19 22:13:29

It depends on your friendship really, if you are really close and you have a very honest relationship, as she has asked your opinion, I think it’s ok to be honest, but like others have said, in a tactful way...remember she is hormonal.
You could say - it’s ok but what are the other options?

DisputedChair Sun 30-Jun-19 22:13:43

She asked you, and presumably you said ‘Hang on’ and posted on Mn? Is she sitting opposite you waiting? hmm

I don’t care for ‘Miller’ myself, but I dislike the perennially popular George just as much.

UrsulaPandress Sun 30-Jun-19 22:13:55

I quite like it

blush

AverageMummy Sun 30-Jun-19 22:14:57

All these people thinking it’s rude to respond honestly to a question you’re directly asked - f me no wonder life is bloody exhausting with autism - how about you’re the unreasonable ones asking stupid questions you don’t want honest answers to? grin

Imgettingdesparatehere Sun 30-Jun-19 22:16:57

She is your friend. Why would you do that? Keep quiet least said soonest mended.

Jaxhog Sun 30-Jun-19 22:19:03

Not unless you want her to be an ex-friend! Find a tactful way to not say yes.

VforVienetta Sun 30-Jun-19 22:19:23

"Well, I wouldn't choose it myself as it sounds more like a surname to me, but it doesn't matter what I think, if you love it."

That's pretty much all you need to say.

FWIW I know a Miller, it's suited him at every age, and in no way sounds like a surname. It's just his name.

00100001 Sun 30-Jun-19 22:19:41

"What's it got to do with you?"

"Her friend asked her opinion"

Yes, bit she doesn't actually want someone to say they don't like it.

It's bit like how you

Morgan12 Sun 30-Jun-19 22:20:38

Its bloody awful.

But probably best not to tell her.

Nearlyalmost50 Sun 30-Jun-19 22:22:13

I don't feel strongly about almost any name that has people frothing. It would have to be truly terrible and even then I wouldn't say anything. Miller is fine.

Hadenoughofitall441 Sun 30-Jun-19 22:26:55

I’d say, well if you like it go for it.... what I say about most things I hate.

diddlediddle Sun 30-Jun-19 22:27:28

If you laughed when she said it presumably she already knows how you feel about it!!

Did she ask for your opinion in passing or was it a real question? If I'm not sure what they want I always say back to friends, do you want me to just say it's nice (/agree with you depending on situation) or would you like a genuine opinion? If you really really want to tell her your opinion and you are absolutely certain she wants it I would give a reason such as, "oh names are so personal aren't they - for some reason I haven't ever really taken to "surname names" in general, so Miller isn't one I would have thought of, but I also know that once you know a baby with a certain name it always grows on you" or something

Puppilongstrumpf Sun 30-Jun-19 22:35:09

Yes, if you laughed when she told you, ten she probably knows you don't like her name choice.

Personally I think it's great that we all have different tastes and choose different names for our kids!

wibbletooth Sun 30-Jun-19 22:46:18

Go with a tactful truth - 'I'm not really one that likes this trend for surnames as first names but I know that lots of people do - they probably don't like my name choices. But the important thing is that you like the name and feel that it fits your baby. Once the baby is here/once we've all met him and are used to calling him that we won't be able to think of him as anything else. What nickname do you think you'll go for? <keep face on very tight lock down in anticipation of something else you don't like> <find out> Awww that's really cute too. And remember that's the thing about names - everybody likes different things - iimagine how boring it would be if everyone was called Matt or Mark - life would be so confusing. Much better to have a nice wide variety of names. And what was it that made you go for that one - is it a family name or one that you've heard elsewhere and thought it was nice?'

Rainbowknickers Sun 30-Jun-19 22:47:04

I called one of mine an unusual name and the amount of shit I took was unreal
My baby-my choice
I really didn’t give a monkeys what anyone thought but the comments hurt (and the names these women came up with instead where crap)
He’s now almost 16 and nobody bats an eyelid at it
He also loves his name and he suits it-nothing else matters

TheRedBarrows Sun 30-Jun-19 23:13:15

Tactful truth around what your exact reasons are.

I will always here Miller said by David Tenant. “Miller!”

It’s no worse than Mason or Carter.

mollpop Mon 01-Jul-19 06:47:54

I agree that Mason and Carter are equally dreadful smile

OP’s posts: |
Joeybee Mon 01-Jul-19 06:53:58

Names are a personal choice. I think it'd be unnecessary and rude for you to
say you don't like it. She's probably thought long and hard about the name and is excited to use it. Why tell her it's not your taste? You'll soon get used to the name and probably grow to like it. Also Miller Is one of those names that's rising in popularity. It probably seems a bit out there to some now, but may well not in the next few years.

Snog Mon 01-Jul-19 07:02:28

Tell her you'd be worried about the nickname Windy

Snog Mon 01-Jul-19 07:03:11

And Carter is an unstoppable sex machine surely

Peachbubble Mon 01-Jul-19 07:20:00

There are worse names imo. Just say something along the lines of it not being your choice or it's different, and leave it at that.

pictish Mon 01-Jul-19 07:25:59

Just say, “Welllll...I’m not overly sold on surnames as first names but that’s just me. If you like it, go for it.”

Miller isn’t absolutely awful or anything. It’s...meh. A bit nonsensical (to me) but not dreadful.

I’m not keen on Mason or Carter or any of those either. But taste is subjective and those sort of names are acceptable.

DonnaDarko Mon 01-Jul-19 07:27:30

One of our friends recently gave their baby a name that is so awful and so unique, I'd be outing myself by sharing it with you. I would just say that you don't like it personally but that doesn't mean she shouldn't choose it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in