Talk

Advanced search

Nicknames

(18 Posts)
Anons101 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:38:11

Can Lia (Lya, Liya and other alternative spellings) be a nickname for Charlotte?

Penny4Thoughts Tue 11-Jun-19 19:40:51

Not normally but no reason not to it’s up to you. A friend has a Lottie but the full name is Violet.

Anons101 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:41:47

Also what spelling do people prefer?

NannyR Tue 11-Jun-19 19:45:07

Not really, but a lot of the time nicknames evolve and have nothing to do with the original name, they're not really something you can decide on advance.
Leah is a beautiful name in its own right.

PepsiLola Tue 11-Jun-19 19:46:40

Nope it doesn't really work.

Maybe Amelia would have a nn of lia?

Leah is its own name.

Charlotte is Lottie and Charley

tiramisu1 Thu 13-Jun-19 06:54:04

Why are people trying so hard to 'plan' a potential nickname?confused

If you love the name Charlotte, call her that. It's beautiful and easy to say. Any nicknames may or may not develop naturally.

MikeUniformMike Thu 13-Jun-19 08:35:43

Call her Lia Charlotte.

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 08:40:33

I can't see how Charlotte would ever have a nickname like you have suggested.
Lia is nice in itself though, I don't think you can plan nicknames, they tend to evolve naturally.

Lllot5 Thu 13-Jun-19 08:44:27

Don’t know if you can plan nicknames as such, they seem to evolve.
Shortening of names I think is different.

MikeUniformMike Thu 13-Jun-19 08:50:21

Lia will be shortened to Li.
Charlotte to Charl, Charlie, Lottie or Lotte.
You could plan a nn if you wanted to call your child something wacky like Smudge or something but wanted the MN high court judge name on BC.
MN judges usually have WASP UC (MN Upper Class) names of several syllables.

Astronica Thu 13-Jun-19 09:50:33

It may surprise some Mumsnetters that there are actually no rules about nicknames and no-one will be in trouble for nicknaming as they choose.... Sure there is usage and tradition, which says nns for Charlotte are Charlie and Lottie. I enjoy people thinking outside the traditional usages.

There's no reason why you can't use Lia for Charlotte - and I like this spelling best - simple and straightforward.

NakedBrainStrollingInManhatten Thu 13-Jun-19 10:19:55

Surely anything can be a nickname for anything.

My name's Charlotte, I get called Lou by most of my family. These things tend to just evolve naturally over time rather than being actively planned.

KindnessCrusader Thu 13-Jun-19 11:48:53

I got told off on mumsnet for shortening DS3s name to Rae. His name is Gabriel. Quite normal where we're from and the nastiness on here is the only place I've encountered it!

KindnessCrusader Thu 13-Jun-19 11:50:13

Brain not functioning-I mean mumsnet is the only place I've experienced nastiness about his name.

Lavenderblues Thu 13-Jun-19 11:56:08

Why don't you just call her Lia?

Lavenderblues Thu 13-Jun-19 11:56:31

Or Liliana?

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 13-Jun-19 12:03:10

The only Lia I know is Rosalia. But nicknames and shortenings are different things. Of course you can call her Lia day to day. I think a lot of people on MN think that a nickname can only be derived from the name itself hmm my best friend at school was called Tony, but we all called him Felix. Nothing to do with his actual name.

Lavenderbluess Fri 28-Jun-19 21:35:50

Charlotte is lovely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »