Talk

Advanced search

Jolyon - too jolly?

(45 Posts)
Wafflingaboutnames Wed 22-May-19 09:48:31

I’ve likes this name for a while but now I’m wondering if it’s too tricky to pronounce & it’ll be one of those names he’ll spend his life spelling out. Opinions appreciated!

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 10:39:47

Is it pronounced Jol y on?

Calixtine Wed 22-May-19 10:47:29

Don’t like it. It’s a bit of a comedy toff name. Sorry to be blunt!

Julian? Jonty?

daisypond Wed 22-May-19 12:05:16

I know a Jolyon. I like it. But it does get confused with Julian at times.

BertrandRussell Wed 22-May-19 12:07:25

Isn’t it a bit cartoon posh boy? And I say that as a cartoon posh woman!

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 12:11:34

I've not heard it before but would pronounce it Jolly-on. Is that right?
As I've not met anyone called Jolyon, it has no associations to me. I quite like it actually. I also like Julian and Julius.

RubaiyatOfAnyone Wed 22-May-19 12:45:51

i knew a Jolyon (Pron. Joe-le-un). I always liked it, but i have the associations of a nice person with it which helps.

Switsy Wed 22-May-19 13:22:09

Definitely a comedy toff name.

ghislaine Wed 22-May-19 13:24:51

I know a Jolyon. I think it’s the Scottish variant of Julian. He’s insufferable. Only do it if you plan to have a clutch of sons and name them Mungo, Peregrine and Marmaduke.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Wed 22-May-19 13:27:16

I know a Jolyon. He just goes by Joe in everyday life.

sue51 Wed 22-May-19 13:27:22

It's a bit Forsyte Sagaish.

TillyTheTiger Wed 22-May-19 13:30:38

Makes me think of Jolyon Palmer (racing driver), and Jolyon from the Forsyte Saga remake (played by Rupert Graves... yum). I like it but yes it is quite posh.
If it's the joe-leon pronunciation you are looking for rather than jolly-on you could spell it like Joleon Lescott (footballer), which doesn't have the toff connotations.

AdaColeman Wed 22-May-19 13:33:33

I love it!

Switsy Wed 22-May-19 13:37:34

Was Jolyon in the Forsyte Saga the evil one?

Switsy Wed 22-May-19 13:38:03

Ah no, that was Soames. Imagine calling your baby Soames.

MsChookandtheelvesofFahFah Wed 22-May-19 13:39:32

I've always pronounced it Joe Lion. How embarrassingblush

Wafflingaboutnames Wed 22-May-19 13:49:01

Thanks for the comments, yes I did get it from the Forsyte Saga but hey, have to get inspiration from something!
Thanks, pronunciation comments most appreciated. I would pronounce it ‘Jolly-un’ but I can see there would be issues. I was thinking ‘Jol’ for short..?

I’m not too bothered about connotations, I think that can be personal and name trends change such a lot. Couldn’t do Julian as his character is so annoying in the Famous Five 🤣 I still think of Florence or Bertie as old-person-ish and dull but Mumsnet & thousands of parents think they’re cool & sweet!
DH not on board with it (yet?!) so may have to be back to the drawing board!

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 14:18:43

Also, associations change - people will associate Jolyon with your son rather than a racing driver or a 'toff' ;whatever that means confused).

I like it.

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 14:18:51

Also, associations change - people will associate Jolyon with your son rather than a racing driver or a 'toff' ;whatever that means confused).

I like it.

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 14:19:01

I like it.

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 14:19:07

I like it.

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 14:19:10

I like it.

Purplelavenders Wed 22-May-19 14:19:15

I like it.

SallyWD Wed 22-May-19 16:25:18

I know a baby Jolyon and a 40 year old who likes to be called Jolly. I don't mind it but prefer Julian

BigusBumus Wed 22-May-19 16:35:44

I LOVE the name Jolyon. Bu then i am a bit posh and don't actually care what people think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »