Talk

Advanced search

names due a comeback?

(101 Posts)
Wentsworth Sun 07-Apr-19 10:37:45

I think Rachel, Amanda and Clare may make their way back around soon.

I met a 2 year old Hilary (girl) the other day and somehow it didn't seem quite "right". Can't put my finger on it as of course many names from decades ago are popular now, but Hilary doesn't quite suit little kids to me somehow!!

What others do you think may start to appear soon?

Looking for inspiration for DC1.

LegoPiecesEverywhere Sun 07-Apr-19 10:57:50

Mary
Miriam

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 07-Apr-19 11:12:56

Ewww I don't like Hilary. Its not even got the cute factor. Names such Maud Doris. Mavis are that "awful" that they're adorable.
Can you imagine how squee a little Maud would be with black ringlets wearing a little smock dress. grin
I think dated names are quite cool and probably the most unusual, now a days, eg. You wouldn't find many if any Lisas Christines. Rachel's Lindseys Karens and Melanies in the classroom now
How ever I do think they could come back in the not too distant future as they're nanny/Granny type names now, aren't they, when you think about it.
I'm very surprised that Rachel dated.
I always thought that was classic and timeless.
If mums not is still going in say 50 years. We might not be around to read it, but someone will probably post something like. I met a little Ava/Lily today. I've not heard that in years.

Boys names I think we'll see make a return are. John. Brian. Mark. Lee
Craig. Paul. However like Rachel I'm.surprised John dated.
I think Ryan although still there in the top 100 so still used. Has only just dated so I think that'll take some time to come back.

I don't think Names such as Olivia. Elizabeth. Michael Thomas and James will ever date.
They're the types of names that you can't tell a person's age or class.

Calixtine Sun 07-Apr-19 11:14:08

I know (of) small children called...

Blythe
Mary
Jane
Sybil
Maud
Barbara
Erica
Fiona
Helen

Eric
Colin
David
Peter
Simon
Graham
Ian
Curtis
Elmer

BarkandCheese Sun 07-Apr-19 11:21:57

I saw a list of the top one hundred baby names of 2019 so far the other day and was slightly surprised to see David at around 50, but then realised it was probably a combination of tributes to David Bowie and it now becoming a grandad name. I think more of those kinds of boys names will come back. I’m thinking names like Nicolas, Phillip, Andrew, Matthew, Paul, Peter and the girls equivalent like Claire, Sarah, Helen, Suzanne, Phillipa, Harriet and Georgina.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 07-Apr-19 11:27:17

Harriet's already quite popular.

Sophronia Sun 07-Apr-19 11:53:43

I know an 8 month old Rachel.

Onetwistedangel Sun 07-Apr-19 13:08:36

I'm loving Vincent at the moment. Not pregnant but mentioned it to a couple pregnant friends who also loved it as well as similar names such as Dominic and Douglas

WatchingTheWheels85 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:11:36

Natalie
Mary
Katie
Jane

Settlersofcatan Sun 07-Apr-19 13:16:42

I can see Stephen, Michael, Philip type names coming back

Tiramisu1 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:59:25

I think these might make a comeback

Sarah
Martha
Helena
Christina

Andrew
Dominic
Quentin
Christopher

Musetti Sun 07-Apr-19 14:00:57

Beryl, have met two mums to be in the last couple of weeks who are considering it.

Musetti Sun 07-Apr-19 14:01:53

Christopher is already back. We have four at school.

lordofthefries Sun 07-Apr-19 14:02:35

Alan for a boy is just lovely, and Barry!. I love Mabel and Ethel for a girl too. I wish I could get DH on board with Alan

CruCru Sun 07-Apr-19 15:09:48

Perhaps some of the names that people my age or my Mum’s age were called?

Rachel
Sarah
Barbara
Catherine
Jane
Mary

David
John
Peter

Having said that, I can imagine being the sort of granny who says things like “But you can’t possibly call a baby Keith”.

Streely Sun 07-Apr-19 15:15:36

Sally. Sadie made a comeback, so I reckon this one might also be revived.

I was thinking about names in my (80s) primary school the other day and wondering if/when some of those names might make a comeback.

Natasha
Nicola
Joanna
Michelle
Gemma
Tara
Kelly

Jsmith99 Sun 07-Apr-19 15:16:34

Alison
Sheila
Joanne
Sharon
Angela
Tracey

Nigel
Keith
Graham
Alan
Martin

And my top tip...
Norman

Supercuts Sun 07-Apr-19 15:20:27

Lots of David and Peters at school, I think they are popular Eastern European names or variations anyway.

NicksWife08 Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:16

I know of a baby called Jennifer, I was surprised as i don't know anyone under 30 named Jennifer.

I absolutely love the names Rachael and Sarah, but I won't be having any more DC's to use those names.

TheVanguardSix Sun 07-Apr-19 15:36:45

Vanessa
Samantha
Jennifer

Let’s hear it for Derek! grin
Actually, remove all stereotypical images that go with Derek. It’s actually a nice name.

Sidney
Stanley
Alan
Neville
Trevor
Trent

Yeah, Norman is a great name.

ivykaty44 Sun 07-Apr-19 15:46:34

Michael
Graham
Terry
John
David

Felicity
Jane
Susan
Amanda

whiskeysourpuss Sun 07-Apr-19 15:47:01

@NicksWife08 I have a 20yo niece called Jennifer & DD2 had one in her class who'd be 16 now I think it's one of those names that's always around just not in abundance.

I love the name Esther & wanted to use it as DD2's middle name but ex-h vetoed it - no idea why as it was his maternal grandmothers name.

I know of an Elspeth who will be around 4 now but that caused a few raised eyebrows at the school gates.

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Sun 07-Apr-19 15:49:34

As a 33 year old Claire I'd find it really weird to meet a baby with my name... it's VERY 70s/80s and probably needs another 20 years to be popular again.

BlueMerchant Sun 07-Apr-19 15:53:29

I heard a woman hollering 'Janet' in the street last week. It was actually Janet followed by another really horrible old fashioned middle name. I had to look and she was shouting at a toddler.
I was very bemused. I think she may have been a one-off!hmm

Calloway Sun 07-Apr-19 18:07:43

I can imagine being the sort of granny who says things like “But you can’t possibly call a baby Keith”.

Me too.

I'll have to practice my 'oh what a lovely name' face for when baby Brenda is placed in my arms.

Calloway Sun 07-Apr-19 18:09:24

Claire is pretty popular in America at the moment. It's seen as an upmarket name.

Ihavealwaysknown Sun 07-Apr-19 22:29:42

Mil was insistent DD should be Rachel 🙄

I think girls:

Susan/Suzy etc
Ann
Jane

Boys:
Peter
Barry

WhyReschedule Sun 07-Apr-19 22:40:14

I'm loving Vincent at the moment. Not pregnant but mentioned it to a couple pregnant friends who also loved it

My little one is a Vincent smile We always get lots of compliments on his name!

For a girl I liked:

Athena
Valentina
Camila

PlatypusLeague Mon 08-Apr-19 00:56:28

Susan
Veronica
Louise
Georgina

Lawrence
Andrew
Timothy
Paul

Time40 Mon 08-Apr-19 01:28:12

Susan has got to be due for a comeback now. And Ann, and Jane.

Roger! Bring back Roger! It's such a great name.

One of the names people keep mentioning as a dated name is my DP's (not Roger, honestly ... ). I've never thought of it as dated, and for some reason I'm really upset that people think it's dated.

mynameisMrG Mon 08-Apr-19 01:34:54

I met a baby Laura the other day. That to me is a very 80s name. As a teacher I’ve never come across a Laura under the age of 30

DoubtOfTheOrdinary Mon 08-Apr-19 01:35:51

So pleased my name hasn't appeared yet - it always makes these "dated" / "of its time" threads 😂
I met a baby Bruce the other day which caught me off guard. Friend has also called her toddler DD Margaret, but only ever refers to her as 'Maggie' for (IMO) obvious reasons.

3ChangingForNow Mon 08-Apr-19 01:40:47

Oh my, Roger is really nice. Going on boys list NOW..

Vera will make a BIG come back in 2 to 5 years I reckon

MercyBodle Mon 08-Apr-19 03:26:36

Enid
Joan
Maude
Lois

Edwin
Lloyd
Clarence
Cedric

Tavannach Mon 08-Apr-19 03:37:42

Lorna
Anne
Jane

Philip
Michael
Steven

GoodGravy Mon 08-Apr-19 03:47:44

Linda
Sandra
Pamela
Jeanette
Judith/Judy

Francis
Stuart
Simon
Neil
Tony

UterusUterusGhali Mon 08-Apr-19 04:39:04

I've seen a few Helen & Ellens in the last couple of years after years without.

Lucy
Richard
Geoffrey

I agree Vera will come back.
Ethel didn't take off like I thought it would. (I nearly called DD that 17 years ago!)

I've still not seen a Clive. It's gotta be coming soon.

Calixtine Mon 08-Apr-19 07:24:56

Forgot that a friend of a friend has a baby Wendy!

A friend is considering Enid, Edwina, Sylvia, Gloria and Nellie for her DD.

Shutuptodd Mon 08-Apr-19 07:31:36

Only yesterday I was talking about how you never hear of any boys called Robin these days but maybe that's to do with the link to Batman.

BabyMoonPie Mon 08-Apr-19 07:32:01

I have a toddler Rachel (born January 2017)! I was amazed at how often staff in hospital etc commented along the lines of "we've not had one of those for ages". I think we'd have got less comments if she'd been called something outlandish

Collectingcpd Mon 08-Apr-19 07:34:24

We have a Rachel, 8. Never met another child called Rachel yet.

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Mon 08-Apr-19 07:37:03

Sally
Judith
Nicola
Susan
Claire - definitely, it's a lovely name (and proper great-granny chic here in Germany, oddly enough) - just got overused
Jane
Sarah is another big one that got done to death but really should never have gone out.
Rebecca
Emma

John
Philip
David
Martin
Simon
Robert
Mark

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Mon 08-Apr-19 07:38:19

Oh yes, Louise! Such a lovely classic name. It became the middle name of a generation, which is why it's out now (there'll be no Roses/Graces for a few generations after this one, either, for similar reasons)

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Mon 08-Apr-19 07:40:39

And Helen is definitely due a comeback. (I would have called dc2 Helena if a girl 12 years ago, but Helena to me is a different name)

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Mon 08-Apr-19 07:41:14

Argh, multiple posts, but I keep thinking of new ones - Caroline. That has to be back soon.

Se7en11 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:31:05

Gary! haven't heard of a Gary for years now

Lost5stone Mon 08-Apr-19 09:37:19

It'll be names of babies grandparents, so people in their 70s/60s/50s.

Janet
Margaret
Susan

David
John
Roger

Etc

I'm very early pregnant with DC2 but if it's a boy we will probably use Michael after FIL so I guess that goes with my theory.

ItsAllGone19 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:39:27

I know several late 30s/early 40s Rebecca's but haven't met a child one since I was one so think that might make a resurgence.

Likewise with the name Richard.

I think both were popular in the late 70s/early 80s then tapered off...but I wouldn't say either are dated really.

mogtheexcellent Mon 08-Apr-19 09:42:12

I love Clare. It was on my list.

Dd has a Jennifer in her class. I love it.

Shutuptodd Mon 08-Apr-19 12:59:17

I have a Rebecca so there are some around. I also have a Ray which I think is pretty rare these days.

onecardshort Mon 08-Apr-19 13:40:42

My niece has called her son Freddie. I love it as there is choice as he goes through life; Freddie while he's young; Fred as he gets older and Frederick if he wants to be posh and professional. I named my middle son Caddaric in this basis and when I want him to sound trendy I use Cadds but he's a curly haired non verbal asd 17yr old who is generally affectionately known as Caddy by all who come into contact with him.

Calloway Mon 08-Apr-19 13:45:35

I've never heard of Caddaric before. Is it Old English?

BurrSir Tue 09-Apr-19 08:59:04

Karen 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻

loveshinealight Tue 09-Apr-19 12:04:06

Ambrose - it's fabulous!

DarlingLittleBabyName Tue 09-Apr-19 13:17:45

Nora. such a precious timeless name and its getting more popular too. x

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 09-Apr-19 13:50:19

Noooo not Norman. It was DH's middle name and he loathed it intensely. I can't say I disagree with him either. It was a mild insult when I was at primary school ("you're such a norman") and it doesn't even sound nice.

navyismycolour Tue 09-Apr-19 18:00:21

I love some of the names on this thread!

Think Harry and Meghan's baby name could lead the way tbh.

KingHenrysCodpiece Tue 09-Apr-19 18:30:41

Lianne/Leeanne Not heard that for ages.
Fanny - (ought to be pulled out. Get over it people)
Agatha
Pauline
Linda
Leslie
Colette
Delia
Susanna
Cassie

Colin
Humpfrey
Errol
Devin
Dean - not heard that in any younger children for ages

Vitalogy Tue 09-Apr-19 19:01:50

David :-)

Laska2Meryls Tue 09-Apr-19 19:12:05

My friend told me she had met a baby Barbara, the other day. Neither her nor my name has been mentioned on this thread and we are in our 60-70 decade ..
I doubt they will come back ..

mummymonica Tue 09-Apr-19 20:50:50

I think these names will soon make a return..

Betty
Jimmy
Wendy
Joy
Winnie
Ann
Emma
Theodora

SoftBlocks Tue 09-Apr-19 20:55:30

David and Victoria Coren Mitchell have a Barbara, I believe. So that one might be coming back.

Dizzywizz Tue 09-Apr-19 21:03:09

Oh my god I love Caddaric, never heard that before!

mathanxiety Wed 10-Apr-19 06:57:19

Sally

littlebillie Wed 10-Apr-19 20:16:40

Paul Andrew Michael

littlebillie Wed 10-Apr-19 20:17:36

Norma

Joeybee Wed 10-Apr-19 21:10:43

Mary
Norma
Norah
Audrey
Eliza

Otis
Walter
Winston
Ernest

groovergirl Thu 11-Apr-19 08:02:04

Please not Norma, o no. She'll get "Abnorma" or "Subnorma"!

I know an Esther, 6, and Millicent, 15. My DD, 11, is Virginia.

Hot tips:
Peregrine (Perry) to make the charts in Australia, thanks to a popular TV character.
Alaric, for all the medievalists
Campbell, for the Scottishly inclined who are wearying of Angus and Lachlan
Julie, which now has mid-century vintage chic and is sure to appeal once everyone gets sick of Lily, Poppy, Elvie, Sadie and similar!

fleshmarketclose Thu 11-Apr-19 08:30:05

Dd is considering Percy for soon to be born new grandchild, it's not a name I envisaged would be popular again tbf.
I heard someone calling a toddler Dustin in the supermarket, I would have assumed Justin but he had a little backpack with his name on.
I love Vincent and would think Dominic and Sebastian could make a comeback.
For girls Sarah seems to be popular around here so wonder whether Sally, Louise Katie might follow.

JustAnotherMillennial Thu 11-Apr-19 08:39:19

I was born early 90s and my mum nearly called me Mabel grin

My neighbour's 12yo is called Melanie.

FlumpyMummy Thu 11-Apr-19 08:41:11

Shirley
Janet

IggyAce Thu 11-Apr-19 09:07:44

I work in a school and a couple of the names that stand out to me are Alan, Colin and David, I associate them with people my dad’s age (mid 60’s).
A couple of others that are due a comeback:
Barbara
Daphne
Lisa
Paul
Nathan
Robert.

popsadaisy Thu 11-Apr-19 09:16:01

I know this is a post about names making a come back but I have heard that apparently the names Gary and Paula are due to 'die out' completely.
I don't know if it's because it's my little girls middle name so I'm aware of it more but I've heard a few little girls called Margo or Margot recently! Love that name so much!

marshallzumarubble Thu 11-Apr-19 11:25:34

There tends to be a 90-100 year rule with name popularity so right now there is a resurgence in names popular in the 1910s/20s. Therefore the next names to come through should be the ones from the 30s, think Ernest, Shirley, Brian, June, Joan, Betty, Ronald, Donald, Walter, Hilda, Audrey, Sylvia and Clifford.

Of course there is a lot of overlap with name popularity so we are already seeing little Olives, Dorothys, Evelyns, Irises and Florences as well as Stanleys, Sidneys, Erics, Arthurs and Alberts (all of these are in the current UK top 250 of their respective genders).

When it comes to the reports of names dying out completely, this is really rare. Yes, there are very few baby Garys or Paulas (26 Garys born in 2017 - slightly more if we could Gareths - and 46 Paulas born in that year) but for a name to truly 'die out' there needs to be no-one with that name alive at all (we are getting close with Fanny - there have been no baby Fannys registered in the last 23 years and hasn't been in the top 100 since 1904). Gary and Paula will come back round, probably in about 2040-2050 as they both peaking in around 1960.

So yes, we need to prepare ourselves for being introduced to grandchildren called Keith, Kenneth, Terrence and Trevor, and Patricia, Maureen, Sandra and Pamela....

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Thu 11-Apr-19 12:23:09

My mum wanted to call me Grace but the idea of being a Grace growing up in the 90s/00s fills me with horror. I went to school with a Harry and we all thought that was a dreadfully old man name!

Tiramisu1 Thu 11-Apr-19 13:43:46

46 Paulas in one year is a lot! That name isn't dying out.

mathanxiety Fri 12-Apr-19 03:35:50

groovergirl I know two Campbells, both girls.

polarpig Fri 12-Apr-19 03:53:12

I know a 6 year old Rachel and a teenage Karen so they aren't all grandmothers just yet.

isabellerossignol Fri 12-Apr-19 04:42:49

I've never thought of Rachel as an old fashioned name. I'm in my 40s and never knew anyone with that name when I was at school etc, all the Rachels I know are under the age of 20.

I was at an event at DDs school recently and the programme listed the names of all the pupils who participated. About 300 names, all aged between 11 and 18 and I immediately thought of Mumsnet because so many names were repeated over and over and they were largely names that I see being discussed here with 'oh, I don't know anyone under 30 with that name'.

It was a sea of Sarahs, Timothys, Davids, Rachels and Hannahs. Biblical names have never gone out of fashion where I live. smile

BlockRockinBeats Fri 12-Apr-19 05:13:36

@groovergirl

You said...

Please not Norma, o no. She'll get "Abnorma" or "Subnorma"!

I know an Esther, 6, and Millicent, 15. My DD, 11, is Virginia.

Well, my beloved late mum was called Norma and she NEVER EVER had those sort of insults aimed at her in all of her 70 years. Maybe that is your own internal prejudice talking. Who on earth thinks...'Norma = Subnorma(l)"? OMG. Educate yourself on disablism. Never has that association crossed my mind.

As for you taking the piss out of the name Norma, look in the mirror! You have named your own DD a name with VIRGIN in it and then have the audacity to claim that Normas will be called 'Subnorma(l)'?!? Methinks a name with Virgin in it will attract far more sexist piss taking when she gets older than Norma.

Open your eyes to the potential pitfalls of your OWN name choice before you start wading in to another.

mynameisMrG Fri 12-Apr-19 11:14:49

I love the name Percy too. I wanted to call DS2 that but my DH vetoed it

mynameisMrG Fri 12-Apr-19 11:15:23

Sorry that was to fleshmarketclose

yellowellies Fri 12-Apr-19 14:14:51

I know a small Peter, Anthony and Christopher - all names I wouldn't have expected on babies recently.

I can see more of this type of name coming soon - Matthew, John, etc

For girls - Sylvia, Jean, Joan, Margaret (Maggie/Peggy) Christine, Mary, etc

2tired2iron Sat 13-Apr-19 15:55:49

I have Dd1 aged15 and Dd2 aged 5, we live in Italy.
The names of their school friends are a mix of traditional italian names and dated English ones
In my 15 year olds class there is a Dennis, Linda , Brenda ,Christina and Rita.
In my little ones class there is a Walter, Victor, Yvette and Silvia.... 😆

BelfortGabbz Sun 14-Apr-19 21:18:05

Alison
Julia
Angela
Christina
Michelle

Robert
Anthony
Carl

AverageAvenger Sun 14-Apr-19 22:14:17

Ray and Samantha would be a very cool sibset.

fairypips Sun 14-Apr-19 23:41:35

I think Maxine is due a comeback.

whatacarryon2018 Sun 14-Apr-19 23:56:23

I agree with so many of these. I went to school with so many girls with the following names (1998-2004)
Laura
Nicola
Paula
Debbie
Rachel

Haven't seen babies called any of those names. Don't know what anyone under 30 called any of them either!

Raspberrytruffle Mon 15-Apr-19 00:03:19

Jessica, Angela

Theoldwoman Mon 15-Apr-19 00:10:27

Clare is very popular here.

Nicola
Jane
Louisa

Richard
Andrew
Phillip

MooBaaLaLaLa Mon 15-Apr-19 00:34:29

I know 2 little Lauras, 2 Walters and and Ernie (presumably Ernest but not sure) so those are still about.

Loads of Vincents, Stanleys and Alberts where I live.

I also know a Vera, Primrose, Alma, Betty and an Esther.

groovergirl Wed 17-Apr-19 03:41:19

@BlockRockonBeats Blimey, wot do you have against VIRGINS? We were all virgins once. I personally had no shame about it, back in the day.
I named my DD in an Elizabethan sense -- the virgin wilderness, the new frontier, the leafy green. I wanted to say to her "Keep a bit of yourself wild and untamed". Names such as Georgia and Olivia are popular where I live, and Virginia is sort of in that linguistic trend. She likes it, and also likes being unique at school and having kids comment on her pretty name.
As for Norma, I'm sorry to have offended you and your mother.

Rafabella8 Wed 17-Apr-19 05:01:21

From the 70s primary school names that will probably make a come back in time -

Wendy
Pauline
Susan
Jackie
Kay
Maureen
Karen
Mandy

Mark
Blair
Stuart
Brian
Patrick

girlsname Wed 17-Apr-19 07:20:32

Claire is quite popular in Australia too, at number 66 last year. I found it very odd to meet a baby Claire. It's very 80s, and only number 915th in the UK!

TwittleBee Wed 17-Apr-19 07:27:21

We are naming our son Roy and I heard a baby called Roy when we were out and a (distant) friend is also calling her little boy Roy too! So wonder if it will be making a surprise leap up the name list this year?

wheresmymojo Wed 17-Apr-19 08:47:44

Nancy & Caroline

wheresmymojo Wed 17-Apr-19 08:49:00

Also Beth

Skyejuly Wed 17-Apr-19 08:57:28

Leah
Beth
Helen

Shadow1234 Wed 17-Apr-19 15:59:03

I have always loved the name Brad (Bradley) for a boy - (I think the thought of the handsome Brad Pitt just goes through my head) and hope it becomes more popular again.

Shadow1234 Wed 17-Apr-19 16:02:02

* although I do realise Brad Pitts real name is William, it's not the name we associate him with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »