Talk

Advanced search

Negative comments make me regret daughter’s name.

(221 Posts)
evelynsmummy44 Thu 21-Mar-19 11:43:09

I know people are going to say not to worry but it’s something that I think about regularly. My daughter is three and her name is Evelyn. She has never, ever been called Evie (not even once) and her name was picked for sentimental reasons. When we named her I had never been on a site like this and having never met another little Evelyn I didn’t know it was popular (still haven’t met another one in our area!) however I get really sad that it is pretty much always called boring or horrible on this site. I very rarely see anything positive about it and it makes me regret not calling her Eliza. I’m not sure how to learn to love my daughter’s name again (maybe just come off this site? But I love looking at it for inspiration for baby number two) anyone been/felt similar about their child’s name?

Longtalljosie Thu 21-Mar-19 11:45:13

Oh good grief - it’s a lovely name. My DD2’s name was universally panned on here when I was pregnant, now the last thread I saw where it came up, the consensus was that it was beautiful. You stick with your beautiful daughter’s beautiful name.

CoastalWave Thu 21-Mar-19 11:45:33

ooh Evelyn is a gorgeous name! Honestly. Beautiful.

Ignore the haters!

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 21-Mar-19 11:45:44

I'd ignore all the negative name comments on this site, some people are weird, tactless and just plain unpleasant. It's a lovely name and you sound like a lovely Mum.

CrunchyCrumpet Thu 21-Mar-19 11:46:15

OP ignore the comments, Evelyn is a beautiful name and I've also not met anyone under nine with that name! You loved the name once and will you again, just ignore the opinions of people who don't matter to you on here!!

formerbabe Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:01

It's a nice name. I actually don't like the shortening to Evie. If I was called Evelyn, I think I'd shorten it to Eve.

Longtalljosie Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:29

Plus try nameberry for kids names inspiration. I always find the names threads on here hilarious:

OP: I’m pregnant and it’s a girl! I can’t decide between Rose or Delilah...
Response 1: I don’t like either, how about Harriet?

AndItStillSaidFourOfTwo Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:35

I'm not fond of it personally, but there's nothing wrong with it and it's a lot more durable than Eliza, which is having a real faddy moment atm.

LailaByron Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:54

I think it’s a beautiful name! You can’t please all the people all the time- and you shouldn’t have 2! You picked her name for your own reasons so who gives a toss what other people think!

LazyLizzy Thu 21-Mar-19 11:47:55

Eveyln is lovely, but I would pronounce it EV- E-LIN and not EVE-LIN.

Maybe that's why they are relating it to Evie?

FaceLikeAPairOfTits Thu 21-Mar-19 11:50:17

Evelyn is lovely, particularly as you're not shortening it to Evie, which is also lovely but hideously popular.

Great name for all ages, OP, and the sentimental reasons behind it are a bonus.

Maybe you're just attuned to the criticism as it's your DD's name. You see much more dislike on here of modern unisex names eg Harley.

Ohyesiam Thu 21-Mar-19 11:51:31

My dds name is seen as dull and samey here.
It really doesn’t matter

Seniorschoolmum Thu 21-Mar-19 11:51:45

Evelyn is lovely, and Evie is pretty too. Don’t regret it

Sizeofalentil Thu 21-Mar-19 11:52:39

Things is, with these sites, you tend to assume you're being judged by your peers - when really, we're quite a diverse bunch of different ages from different parts of the world.

Those other posters probably came from small towns overrun with Evies, all a lot older than yours, so are sick of that name. Therefore, are biased and their opinion isn't applicable here.

I've not met any evelyns, ever, and love the name. So it would be a beautiful, rare jewel of a name on the middle class mum circuit here.

Double0FeckingBollocks Thu 21-Mar-19 11:52:55

I can never for the life of me understand why people come on MN to get opinions about their choices of names. We are all different. We like different clothes and food and house decoration styles. Paying heed to the taste of Mumsnetters is the same as going out into a busy street and shouting " what shall I name my precious firstborn?"
Evelyn is the name you chose for very good and careful reasons. Don't listen to people who like to call each other "chavvy" or "twee" or whatever from the safety of their anonymity.

OydNeverDeclinesGin Thu 21-Mar-19 11:53:29

I've ways thought Evelyn is a lovely name.

Sizeofalentil Thu 21-Mar-19 11:54:35

Also, you have sentimental reasons behind your choice. Which makes it even more beautiful and unique.

Babdoc Thu 21-Mar-19 11:56:37

OP, names are totally a matter of personal preference. Evelyn is not some weird or embarrassing name that might upset your DD when she grows up, and it really doesn’t matter whether people on here like it or not. The important thing is that you like it, and it has emotional significance for you.
One of my DDs was named after her great grandmother, but happened to share the name with a tv character of 40 years ago. I got the odd comment, including from the health visitor who always jokingly addressed the baby as Miss X (the tv character’s surname). DD is now in her late 20’s and her name isn’t an issue - it’s just who she is.
If your DD really doesn’t like it when she grows up, she can use any name she likes. Don’t waste any more time fretting over it. For what it’s worth, I actually like it!

Cattenberg Thu 21-Mar-19 11:57:00

My DD’s name sometimes pops up on baby name threads. Some people like it, some people like every name on the OP’s list except DD’s name! I don’t mind. It would be awful if we all liked the same names and there were 15 Olivias in each class.

dreichuplands Thu 21-Mar-19 11:57:59

I think Evelyn is both a nice name and a classic one. There are two common ways you could pronounce it which would impact a nn. Do you want her to have a nickname? If so I would just start calling her it, others will follow.

sue51 Thu 21-Mar-19 11:58:04

Evelyn is a lovely name and not in the least bit boring.

Itstartedinbarcelona Thu 21-Mar-19 11:58:43

There was a thread on here about DDs name recently as well and it was universally voted down as too common with most people being “over it”. I still love it and so does dd (12). Don’t worry about anyone else she will grow into it and you won’t be able to imagine her being called anything else.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 21-Mar-19 11:59:23

I really wouldn't care what anyone says on MN!

DD has a very popular name, we had no idea when we chose it and in fact have still met fairly few girls with this name. It's still a lovely name.

Evelyn is a beautiful name.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Thu 21-Mar-19 11:59:33

I think it’s very pretty. I only know two little ones (and one is in a different continent!). My ds’s first “self-made” friend at nursery is called Evelyn which makes me feel nice about it too!

GetStrongKeepFighting Thu 21-Mar-19 11:59:53

Ny husbands cousin has an Evelyn a few years older than yours. Some posters would have an attack of the vapours at their other children's names but it doesn't matter. Nothing to do with them and doesn't affect their lives in any way.

Don't change her name. You love it and that's literally the only person along with her dad who needs too.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Thu 21-Mar-19 12:00:18

Basically, there's a huge amount of snobbery over names on MN, mainly aimed at popular and so-called American names.

NicksWife08 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:02:07

Evelyn is a really beautiful name, I don't see it as old or really for any age group.
Personally I don't like the name Eliza.

Bigonesmallone3 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:02:14

If you say I'm thinking of naming my child XX everyone will say god no I don't like that blah blah

If you say this is my child I named her XX people will say what a nice name!

Evelyn is a lovely name, it's your daughters name so own it and don't have doubts

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 21-Mar-19 12:03:35

See i dont like the name Eliza- doesnt mean its not a lovely name. You will never please everyone and why should you try.
Evelyn is a beautiful name

KingLooieCatz Thu 21-Mar-19 12:04:01

I know an adult Evelyn and she is one of my favourite people, followed her dream career very successfully and with integrity and is well respected by her colleagues.

Stick to your guns.

Littlechocola Thu 21-Mar-19 12:04:46

I think it’s beautiful.
My daughter’s name has been trashed on here many times. She’s 18. It’s her name and it suits her.

GummyGoddess Thu 21-Mar-19 12:05:33

It doesn't matter. If you like it and it isn't outrageous or spelt incorrectly it's fine.

I actually had someone say to my face that dc1 had a horrible name!

RainbowWaffles Thu 21-Mar-19 12:05:47

It’s a lovely name. I wouldn’t worry about what a bunch of strangers say about it on the internet. You may find you consider their individual and collective tastes to be horrific if you saw what they named their children, how they decorated their houses and what they wore. The opinions of others should only really matter if you respect their opinion and it’s impossibe to know if you haven’t met them. Whatever name you choose will be boring, pretentious, try hard, chavvy, American, too common or too obscure depending on who you listen to. I think if you give your child a name that may make someone less inclined to hire them if they see it on a cv then perhaps reconsider, but Evelyn is safe on that one.

bellinisurge Thu 21-Mar-19 12:06:11

Wtf? It's a lovely name. And if it has sentimental meaning for you, so much the better.
And even if it wasn't a lovely name, it's no one's business.

Rachelhaydenberk1 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:06:18

Evelyn is stunning!! Very elegant, classic with modern spin and will grow well with her.

People always dislike every name. I'm naming my daughter Harlow - I'm American and I get it's not a well received British name - but imagine the hell I got!! Doesnt make me love the name any less though.

These name sites are fun but you have to take it with a grain of salt. People are going to have different tastes and make you question yours. But if you love a name, you love a name. Dont let anyone sway you or make you regret your name choice. Evelyn is gorgeous.

It's funny. I notice people on these sites like only very classic names like Elizabeth, Mauve, Mabel, Maude. These names arent my personal taste. I guess you cant argue against names that have been around for centuries. Some people just arent very open-minded or creative IMO. Evelyn isnt even out there or trendy. But it's not an "old lady" name either!! Its definitely not boring.

I feel like you should defend your choice - even if just in your head! You cant taste everyone's tastes to heart.

flameycakes Thu 21-Mar-19 12:08:19

I think it is a beautiful and elegant name xxx

EngagedAgain Thu 21-Mar-19 12:10:54

I like Eliza, yet if I were to have a daughter now, I wouldn't use it as a first name, because whilst it was lovely in its time it's outdated now. But then if one thought ahead, some of these name will have a resurgence, and at say 20 years old, said child could be in favour. Parents have the right to call their children what they like, as everyone will have an opinion. Also if the worst came to the worst they can always change it themselves as an adult.

icannotremember Thu 21-Mar-19 12:11:09

Who gives a shit what a bunch of anonymous people on a forum think? If ds3 was a girl he'd have been Sofia. MN wisdom on Sofia is that it's an absolute no no because it's too popular. I don't care, it was the name we wanted and the name we would have used.

I've posted my ds's names here before (under another username and some time ago) and got the usual bollocks about how giving them Polish names was a mistake as English people will find them hard to spell. I didn't name my dc in order to gain approval from MNers and I don't care what MNers or anyone else thinks of their names. We love their names, they suit the dc perfectly, and everyone else's opinion is just meaningless noise.

Not that it matters at all but I think Evelyn is a lovely name.

(I'm sorry. I think I have PMS. I definitely have Brexitis.)

TatianaLarina Thu 21-Mar-19 12:11:55

It’s pretty name much nicer than Eliza. Believe in yourself and stick to your guns.

nauticant Thu 21-Mar-19 12:12:27

It's a lovely name OP. Don't feel you have to change it.

JemSynergy Thu 21-Mar-19 12:16:39

My children's names have been described as twee on here and I couldn't care less. In the real word their names are always complimented. I love their names and their names are popular for a reason. Evelyn is a very nice name. You won't be able to prevent people or friends from shortening a name. I never shorten my sons name but now he is at secondary school all his friends do. He is used to it now.

amusedbush Thu 21-Mar-19 12:18:39

I think Evelyn is a beautiful name. I really, really like it.

Eliza is horrible, in my opinion blush not a patch on Evelyn!

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Thu 21-Mar-19 12:20:24

I think Evelyn is a beautiful name. I work in schools so know a lot of children - I've NEVER come across an Evelyn!

Cwenthryth Thu 21-Mar-19 12:20:47

From your thread title I assumed that people in your life were making negative comments personally to you about your daughter’s name - and was all prepared to come on and support you and say how rude they were, ignore the haters etc.

But that’s not what’s happening, is it, what’s happening is some strangers on the internet are discussing names and some of them don’t like the name you chose for your daughter 3/4 years ago. There’s no actual problem here - people are allowed to not like a name for whatever reason, however trivial, and it’s ok for them to express that on an anonymous discussion board online! They’re not being rude or personal, tbh it’s faintly ridiculous that the opinion of strangers on the internet would have influenced how you feel about your own 3yo daughters name, to the point where you feel you have to ‘learn to love’ it again.

My advice is to give your head a wobble, as they say round here - you know and love your daughter, it’s her name, why on earth would you care what people you don’t know think when discussing the name in the abstract. They’re allowed their opinion, and it’s just not relavent to you personally. If this is a serious issue for you, perhaps it might be rooted in issues around boundaries or self esteem, that you’re not confident in your own choice, that could be worth exploring and thinking about/working on.

KurriKurri Thu 21-Mar-19 12:21:12

I often see my DD's name come up on here as 'awful' or 'oldladyish' or some such nonsense. I think it is a beautiful name that is why i chose it - I don't give a monkey's what anyone else thinks.
Evelyn is lovely, ignore anyone else - you may hate their kids names.
Personally I'm not keen on Eliza (just makes me think of Eliza Doolittle) but it's only my opinion.
Also at 3yrs old, I'd say it is too late to change your DD's name - it is part of her identity, and you don't want her to pick up on any doubts you may have and to not like her own name.

mumtobabygilrl Thu 21-Mar-19 12:22:10

I love her name , classic and timeless! You picked well!

GnomeDePlume Thu 21-Mar-19 12:23:10

Remember it isnt just a name, it is her.

I would say the same if her name was Engelwaldbicycleclip (apologies to all those Engelwaldbicycleclips out there).

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 21-Mar-19 12:23:39

Evelyn is a lovely name. I prefer it to Eliza (I think of Eliza Doolittle too)

Littlepond Thu 21-Mar-19 12:24:07

My daughters name always gets negative opinions on here (one poster said “ugh, please DO NOT call your child X”) but I love it and more importantly my daughter loves her name! They had a project at school about names and she was excited to write all about the meaning behind her name and read it out to the class.
Ignore the haters OP!

mcjx Thu 21-Mar-19 12:24:13

The name is lovely! Prefer that over Eliza. Don't worry OP ❤️

maras2 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:24:40

Our 2 year old great niece is Evelyn Violet. bear.Lovely name.
Family ie. lots of 1st and 2nd cousins, aunties and uncles call her Evelyn.It only gets shortened to Evie at nursery.
Don't regret her name and keep away from that baby name site that's frequented by posters who wouldn't dare speak face to face the vitriol that they post.They're the real 'Nest of Vipers'. angry

babysharkah Thu 21-Mar-19 12:24:44

It's a lovely name.

Lweji Thu 21-Mar-19 12:24:46

It's bound to come back. wink

maras2 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:25:47

Oops. Just realised it is that site blush smile

MorningsEleven Thu 21-Mar-19 12:25:48

I love it. It's the name of my favourite ever relative. The most un-boring person you'd ever meet. Has to be prefaced with "our" though, as in "Will you believe what our Evelyn has just said?"

maras2 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:26:37

Back to Gransnet for me.grin

Marylou2 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:26:59

Wow. I thought you were going to say it was some strange, faddish or made up name. Not something as elegant and timeless as Evelyn. Your daughter’s name is beautiful and I’m sure she is too.

FizzyGreenWater Thu 21-Mar-19 12:27:02

It's a classic name, so stop worrying! Not everyone will like it but that's different to thinking you were mad to name her that!

It's strange though, name popularity. Evelyn just asn't on anyone's radar 15 years ago and now, yes, it's popular. i know two others and both parents say they had no idea the name had shot up in popularity and it just 'came out of nowhere'. Also an Evie whose parents are adamant they had no idea that primaries everywhere are now stuffed to the gunnels with Evies and opted for it as they wanted something unusual!!!

Just so weird the way things like this work!

Missingstreetlife Thu 21-Mar-19 12:27:39

It's a lovely name, and can be pronounced several ways too.

Kescilly Thu 21-Mar-19 12:29:23

If people only used MN-approved names the world would be a very boring place. I find some of the threads incredibly boring because they are all the same recommendations, over and over!

Evelyn is lovely.

Pinkbells Thu 21-Mar-19 12:29:27

Evelyn is lovely. Mumsnet is peculiar like that - there is always an 'I hate that name' brigade going around. If it doesn't happen in RL (and even if it does!) it doesn't matter.

Danetobe Thu 21-Mar-19 12:30:05

Evelyn is beautiful. Please try to not let other people's negative comments make you feel badly about your personal choice on her name.

HaveACupOfCoffee Thu 21-Mar-19 12:31:23

There’s nothing worse (imo) than when people say ‘I love this name but it’s so popular or common’

If you love it then why does it matter?

It smacks of hipster culture ‘oooh I have to have a name that no one else has, I have to be the trendsetter that everyone else copies’ It really gets my goat.

Evelyn is a lovely name - I went to school with one and she stuck up for me when I was violently bullied, even when the threat of the bullying was turned back on her. I’ve never to this day met anyone as morally strong and kind as her so to me the name means something special.

Funkaccino Thu 21-Mar-19 12:31:53

I like both names. Youve got good taste!

PercyGherkin Thu 21-Mar-19 12:31:58

I don't know any little Evelyns. It's a nice name (Ev-i-lyn = traditional female pronunciation, Eve-lyn = traditionally male - see Mr and Mrs Waugh!) and not faddy.

purpleboy Thu 21-Mar-19 12:31:58

It's a lovely name, be proud of it, you chose it because you like it and it has sentimental value to it. There is nothing more beautiful than that.
My oldest DD always gets the comment her name is a boys name (maybe true if you from America; were not)! and my youngest DD was told by FIL 1st and 2nd name sounded like salmonella 🤦🏽‍♀️
You do get used to it and I love both names still!!

purpleme12 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:32:47

I love that name. I've not even met anyone with the name or heard anyone either.
I think it's beautiful

hanahsaunt Thu 21-Mar-19 12:33:00

It is such a lovely name - please don't worry. The very best friend of my ds3 (both are 11) is Evelyn (never ever shortened) and she is just fab. I don't think anyone has ever batted an eyelid about her name.

Clarl Thu 21-Mar-19 12:35:52

It’s lovely!
You should see the reaction my son’s name gets on here. I’ve seen threads closed over it. In reality it’s just a normal name and he’s never had an issue.

countrybump Thu 21-Mar-19 12:37:00

My DD's middle name is Evelyn. I love it, and so does DD. In fact she prefers it to her first name and so writes out her full name at school etc!

She is 9. When she was born I knew of no other Evelyn and the name was chosen after a favourite relative of mine - an elderly aunt!

I think it's lovely. I have also learnt to totally ignore the threads on here about names! My eldest DC is 12 and has a name that wasn't popular at the time he was born, but has since become so. Apparently it is the new 'Kevin' and all boys with that name are naughty........ He suits his name, I love it, I don't care what others may think. Also, remember that people write on here things that they would never, ever say to anyone in real life.

Evelyn is a lovely name and if you love it, don't worry about what anonymous people on a website think!

Margot33 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:38:14

It doesn't matter what other people think! You chose that name because it means something to you. I personally like it. Don't ask other people's advice for names on here, because names are so personal. Both my children have very unusual old fashioned names. I have experienced the quizzical frowns followed by a, "sorry?!" You should not care what others think at all. I love my children's names and they do too. My eldest told me there are nine girls in her year with the same name, its annoying trying to get one of their attention! She is grateful for having an unusual name. Only lately people have started to say how pretty it is. My youngest loves her name too. Names grow on people when they see your beautiful children.

Birdie6 Thu 21-Mar-19 12:38:50

My DD has a name which I saw once on this site - literally every poster said they hated it. I love it and so does she - so what if a few people think badly of it. Your daughter's name is lovely - ignore the nasty comments, please.

Magicpaintbrush Thu 21-Mar-19 12:39:37

I love the name Evelyn - if I went on to have another DD that name would be right at the top of my list.

Hollowvictory Thu 21-Mar-19 12:40:43

Eliza and Elsie are lovely but if you like Evelyn that's your preference, it's your baby!

NunoGoncalves Thu 21-Mar-19 12:41:53

Evelyn was the 22nd most popular name last year, and has been rising fast over the last 5 years. So it's very popular, meaning most people like it!

Not that that should matter anyway. Stop paying so much attention to the opinions of strangers.

wineymummy Thu 21-Mar-19 12:42:05

Don't worry - I've seen my DD's name blasted on here, but IRL I'm often complimented on it. I also regularly see negative comments on my own name (common historically but less so now). Meh. Evelyn is a beautiful name and I think it is nicer than Eliza (no offence to any Elizas or parents of Elizas out there!!)

amusedbush Thu 21-Mar-19 12:50:24

keep away from that baby name site that's frequented by posters who wouldn't dare speak face to face the vitriol that they post.They're real 'Nest of Vipers'.

Maybe take a glance around before you insult the site you're posting on grin

americandream Thu 21-Mar-19 12:50:49

You seriously need to ignore some of what you read on here. Some people just talk tripe, honestly.

I saw someone come on and post 'what girls names do you hate?' (Nasty thread anyway,) and loads of posters came on with all these names that they hate, and many of them were classed as 'chavvy' by many posters on the thread. A few names were posted - old traditional Victorian names - and some posters said they were dull and boring, and the 'faux middle classes' who are trying to pretend they're not chavs have daughters with these names. (Names were Charlotte, Sophie, Emily, Victoria, and similar.)

A week later, someone posted a thread saying they're very sad because their sister has died, and her name was Sophie. Cue dozens of posts about how lovely the name is, and how much they love Victorian names.

People switch what they say, according to the situation, and what they think other people want to hear, and some people are sheep, and will jump on the name-bashing board. And I don't buy the bullshit that people come out with when they say 'there are many posters on here, so you will obviously have differing views.' That's a cop out. because this happens a LOT.

Evelyn IS a lovely name, and I can't believe that anyone would say they hate it!

pumpastrotter Thu 21-Mar-19 12:52:27

I love the name. I know one Evelyn (Eve) my age and a couple of Eve/Evelyn's around DC's ages - it would've been a contender for DS if he was a girl. It's a very pretty name but I don't like it shortened to Evie.

DC have very traditional/old names, people even think DS's is foreign (it's VERY typically english??), I've seen both on here smeared and used as examples of 'try hard middle class' names, and people irl sometimes comment that they sound like pets, but they're names we all love that aren't complete nonsense and that is all that matters.

MorningsEleven Thu 21-Mar-19 12:53:21

I’ve never to this day met anyone as morally strong and kind as her so to me the name means something special

That's an Evelyn- core of steel, heart of gold

HexagonalBattenburg Thu 21-Mar-19 12:53:50

There are two of them in my 7 year old's year group - I think it's making an understated comeback.

madcatladyforever Thu 21-Mar-19 12:55:11

I adore the name. Better than some I can think of.

Orangecookie Thu 21-Mar-19 12:55:34

You get the lowest common denominator if you ask a huge group for names.

Evelyn is beautiful.

wheretheydwell Thu 21-Mar-19 12:56:28

I like it. Let go of this current fad against popular names, and be happy with this choice. HOnestly, you can't let strangers on a website dictate how you feel about this.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Thu 21-Mar-19 12:57:25

Please don't regret it! It's a beautiful name, and IMO so much nicer than Evie, or all the twee Ellie-Maes etc. out there.

Itswinternow Thu 21-Mar-19 12:58:36

I think Evelyn is nicer than Eliza OP.

Skyejuly Thu 21-Mar-19 13:02:08

Not everyone will like the name you pick. It doesn't matter really.

pumpastrotter Thu 21-Mar-19 13:02:29

Just to add about people irl - 95% of people I tell the names to absolutely love them and say how much it's suits them, and both are usually shortened. I've only ever met one person with DD's name (by chance we were chatting in a queue) and she was absolutely delighted to hear we had the name as she usually felt people were negative about it, it was nice to see her so excited about it and I hope DD gets that positivity.

ataleoftwothenthreethenfour Thu 21-Mar-19 13:07:55

I'm not going to say don't worry, I'm going to say get a grip.

I think you should be worried, but not about the name, but about your reaction. It's extreme. Do you always worry so much about what people you have never met and probably never will meet, think?
Perhaps mumsnet is not the place for you if you are going to take it so much to heart. You need to separate online from real life a little better and give yourself a good talking to.

Nameisthegame Thu 21-Mar-19 13:07:59

Lovely name 😊 I posted mine and dd name under a name change and we were slated by one user 😂 heartbreaking

downcasteyes Thu 21-Mar-19 13:08:54

Evelyn, Evelina, Evie are all lovely.

ataleoftwothenthreethenfour Thu 21-Mar-19 13:09:01

And frankly, if people do hate the name, then what does it matter to you? It doesn't, it really doesn't.

florentina1 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:09:31

Everyone hated the name I chose for my daughter so I gave it to her as a second name. She now uses it as her first name as she loves it.

Yabbers Thu 21-Mar-19 13:09:54

Lovely name. I’d Keep it.

frustratedindivorce Thu 21-Mar-19 13:10:02

It's my favourite name and I've always thought if I had a daughter I'd call her Evelyn. Don't listen to people! They've probably given their kids names that you think are awful anyway!

Elizasmother Thu 21-Mar-19 13:10:54

See according to this thread I should hate my dd name! I don’t, I still love it and she’s 15. Though she does get fed up of people pronouncing it Eleeeeeza. Evelyn is lovely too, one of dds best friends name.

Elizasmother Thu 21-Mar-19 13:13:35

She’s the only Eliza I know, so no big flurry around here

WaterQuarter Thu 21-Mar-19 13:13:59

I guarantee if every person here started a thread about their own name it would get a variety of responses:

Classic
Boring
Dull
Beautiful
Okay
Hideous
Lovely
Reminds me of someone who picked her nose and ate it in primary school

No name is universally liked and that is fine! Evelyn is a perfectly nice name and you need to stop worrying about what people on the internet say about it. She's three years old, this is her name for for life. In the nicest and most supportive way possible, get over it. smile

Megan2018 Thu 21-Mar-19 13:14:23

I know a few little girls called Evelyn - it's not super common but not unheard of. It's a very naice area and I see Evelyn as a similarly naice name.

I like it. It doesn't go well with our surname otherwise it might be on our list.

You like it, you chose it. Who cares what people on a website that you don't even know think?

Topseyt Thu 21-Mar-19 13:14:35

Oh crikey, don't go setting too much store by stuff you read from random strangers on internet sites.

Evelyn is a lovely, timeless and classic name. I like it. It appeals to me far more than Eliza does as I would always think of Eliza Doolittle.

My daughters all have names that might well be considered too popular on here, as do I probably. I don't give a shit to be honest. If you like the name then use it.

Nobody will like every name. We are all different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »