Talk

Advanced search

Theo or Theodore?

(25 Posts)
CoffeeWithMyOxygen Mon 07-Jan-19 10:40:59

So, one of these is currently the front runner for our DS who is due in May. DH likes Theo but says he can’t picture ever actually calling him Theodore. I agree that in reality he’d be Theo 99% of the time but I quite like the idea of having Theodore as his full name because we love the meaning (we are religious). My main reservation is that due to family links he may well also end up having two middle names - is Theodore [name] [name] going to be a bit of a mouthful or are we overthinking it given that nobody is actually going to use all three in daily life?

Til89 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:52:07

I’d stick with Theo in that case but I’m really not someone who believes you need an “official” version of a name on the BC.

ZebraKid71 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:54:46

I'd go Theodore.

Peachbubble Mon 07-Jan-19 12:55:13

Personally I would just put Theo on the bc

ChoccyBiccyTastic Mon 07-Jan-19 13:00:06

Theodore on BC so he has the choice later.

NeverHadANickname Mon 07-Jan-19 13:02:50

I'd go with Theo. I don't see the point in giving a child a different name (even just the longer version) on the birth certificate if you won't call them that. He could choose to be called Theodore or cucumber for that matter when he is older regardless of what is on his birth certificate.

firstbrightday Mon 07-Jan-19 13:41:30

Go with Theodore. You can call him Theo day to day. Although I have an unfounded dislike of shortened names being on the birth certificate!

ReaganSomerset Mon 07-Jan-19 13:47:35

Theodore, as I'm another no-nicknames-on-the-birth-certificate person. Plus, if you want to get all stern when telling him off, Theodore has a certain gravitas. It also lets him choose his own nn- when older he might decide Ted fits better for work purposes or something.

MikeUniformMike Mon 07-Jan-19 14:13:12

How about Theo short for Theophilus. Friend of god - and odorless.

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Mon 07-Jan-19 14:28:37

Plus, if you want to get all stern when telling him off, Theodore has a certain gravitas.

grin It does rather!

I think I’m leaning towards Theodore as I do love the full name. Plus it means if he doesn’t like Theo he’s free to shortern it to Ted/Teddy himself down the line, in theory at least.

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Mon 07-Jan-19 14:30:11

How about Theo short for Theophilus. Friend of god - and odorless.

No newborn is odourless! I prefer the meaning of Theodore though as that means Gift From God which seems perfect really as I had hit a really low point of TTC when I fell pregnant with him.

marsbarheaven Mon 07-Jan-19 14:41:52

I have a Theodore smile he's Theo 99% of the time but I think it's lovely to have the options of Theodore/Theo/Ted. We occasionally use his full name and he can choose as he gets older

tammytoby Mon 07-Jan-19 15:25:24

Theodore is a lovely name.

Theo has become dull through overuse and may start to sound dated soon.

MikeUniformMike Mon 07-Jan-19 15:53:25

I think OP that little Theo is likely to be one of about 8 Theos in his peer group. There will probably a few Theas too.
How about Jonathan - it means Gift of God.

The odorless bit was a reference to "The odor e". Odor is the american spelling of odour.
Babies smell lovely.

Marshalbrown Mon 07-Jan-19 16:00:00

I always go for a short name so Theo

WrapAndRoll Mon 07-Jan-19 16:55:27

Use Theodore on the birth certificate, and Theo as nickname.

Scoobygang7 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:02:52

I am bias my youngest is Theodore Ernest Alexander. Generally gets called Theo

tammytoby Mon 07-Jan-19 17:04:25

Jonathan is a lovely name and much more interesting than Theo(dore)!

Til89 Mon 07-Jan-19 17:25:16

Oh yes, I like Jonathan.

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Mon 07-Jan-19 17:56:09

I don’t like Jonathan I’m afraid! And yes, I know that Theo is pretty popular these days but we really struggle to find boys name that we both like.

ReaganSomerset Mon 07-Jan-19 20:12:14

Don't worry, OP, it's a lovely name. I'm quite surprised that several different people seem to have interpreted 'Theo or Theodore?' as 'Do you like this name? If not, suggest one that you like yourself!' confused

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Mon 07-Jan-19 20:18:14

I'm quite surprised that several different people seem to have interpreted 'Theo or Theodore?' as 'Do you like this name? If not, suggest one that you like yourself!'

Ha, I’m not - I knew when I ventured on the baby name board that I’d get at least one person telling me not to use the name at all! I’ve thick enough skin to shrug it off and enough sense to know that it won’t harm DS not to have an utterly unique name. It’ll still be his name even if he shares it smile

fartfacemcfartfaceface Mon 07-Jan-19 21:25:39

I have a Theodore James Matthew last name.

fartfacemcfartfaceface Mon 07-Jan-19 21:29:49

Sorry pressed go too soon. He's about 80% theo at home and uses Theodore at school as there is another Theo and with same last name initial in his class. We use teds quite often, Theodore is used frequently though. I love the name.

Patienceisvirtuous Mon 07-Jan-19 22:12:59

We have a Theo David. I much prefer Theo to Theodore. It’s cooler and sounds nicer.

I still associate Gift from God with our Theo (rainbow baby after 3 miscarriages).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »