Talk

Advanced search

Help: DISO tips for making a final name decision when *totally* indecisive

(66 Posts)
ruthietoothie Thu 06-Dec-18 19:16:10

I'm having a nightmare. Got a lovely newborn boy (well he's almost two weeks now) and just can't seem to settle on a name for him.

Got a shortlist (which keeps changing) and which includes:

Callum
Joseph
Cameron
Owen
Jamie

But just can't seem to decide which one he suits / which one to go with.

has anyone been in a similar position? Got any tips for how you make your mind up?

In fog of sleep deprivation can't imagine ever making our minds up!!

ruthietoothie Sat 08-Dec-18 19:56:12

p.s... we were originally tempted by Rory, but it seems to be a name that is rapidly growing in popularity.

I'm swinging towards Owen - especially as we spent our honeymoon in Wales, so nice that it is welsh...

GreatDuckCookery6211 Sat 08-Dec-18 20:33:44

Rory is so much nicer than Owen! He looks like a Rory to me grin

tammytoby Sat 08-Dec-18 20:57:05

Imagine if Rory can't pronounce his Rs properly...!?

ruthietoothie Sun 09-Dec-18 17:39:41

@greatduckcookery @tammytoby - I just think Rory is rapidly rising in popularity atm and can imagine there being two/ three Rory's in the class by the time he gets to school

I do like Owen (and Joseph) though know these won't be to everyone's taste...

tammytoby Sun 09-Dec-18 17:46:20

How would that help with the pronunciation with those who struggle with their R?

Belindabauer Sun 09-Dec-18 18:29:24

I th I k either Owen or Joseph can you ask your other dcs which one they prefer?

ruthietoothie Sun 09-Dec-18 20:04:28

@tammytoby - it wouldn't help - that's just why I won't choose Rory

@Belindabauer - yes we could ask other dcs but there's three of them (two old enough to have a view), and I'd worry that they'd disagree and then there'd be arguments about which one we went with.

maybe it's time to flip a coin or just trust my instincts and go with Owen!!

Jfw82 Sun 09-Dec-18 21:06:49

To go the more Gaelic route you could go for Eoin?

Jfw82 Sun 09-Dec-18 21:07:34

Should add I'm biased as I have an Owen of my own! grin

ladycarlotta Mon 10-Dec-18 10:42:57

if your gut's going with Owen, go with Owen. It's a lovely name and it suits him. I reckon you're just experiencing FOMO now re the other names.

MrsRubyMonday Mon 10-Dec-18 10:48:00

If you're choosing Owen because it's Welsh, what about Owain? Pronounced O-wine rather than o-wen. It's the more common form in the part of Wales I'm from and I love it.

ruthietoothie Tue 11-Dec-18 19:22:02

@Jfw82 - good taste!

@ladycarlotta - I think you're probably right. I do think Owen fits and is a good name, but there's just something stopping us going public and making the decision once and for all. Perhaps it's just our lack of sleep!

@mrsrubmonday - - Owain is a lovely name, but I think might be hard to get ppl to get to grips with it here in deepest darkest north of 'England!

PersisFord Wed 12-Dec-18 10:52:41

Would thinking about nicknames help? Round here Owen would be called O and Joseph would be called Joe. L

tammytoby Wed 12-Dec-18 15:08:43

Why on earth would a short name like Owen ever be shortened..!?

It's so easy to say..!

Flamingosnbears Wed 12-Dec-18 16:45:34

Owen goes well with sibling names and it's not too popular...

PersisFord Wed 12-Dec-18 17:49:55

grin everything round here gets shortened. Or lengthened. I know 2 Owens - one known as O, one as Os

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »