Talk

Advanced search

Would you tell someone they’ve misspelt their baby’s name?!

(260 Posts)
CaptainCabinets Thu 08-Nov-18 16:02:00

A colleague has recently announced the birth of ‘Pheobe’ on Facebook and have since referred to the baby as ‘Pheobe’ several times.

Would I be awful to gently suggest the correct spelling or just hope it’s picked up on when they register the birth?!

OP’s posts: |
legalseagull Thu 08-Nov-18 16:03:16

I'd point it out, in private so as not to embarrass them. Maybe they have done it deliberately though.

Twickerhun Thu 08-Nov-18 16:04:34

I wouldn’t ever say anything

LovingLiving Thu 08-Nov-18 16:04:39

Why don’t you send a message saying congratulations on the birth of Phoebe? If enough people do it she might notice.

On the other hand I know a Micheal (not Michael) and it never did him any harm.

BruceAndNosh Thu 08-Nov-18 16:06:14

Micheal is the Irish spelling of Michael

TakeAChanseyOnMe Thu 08-Nov-18 16:09:13

Micheal is pronounced Me-hall in Irish. A relative called her son Micheal but pronounces it like Michael. confused

If you look at the lists of baby names given, there’s some spellings that are awful - even unintentional ones.

LovingLiving Thu 08-Nov-18 16:14:08

I never knew that! Mind you he is Welsh.

Shazafied Thu 08-Nov-18 16:17:59

I would put a commment on welcoming little Phoebe to the world, but wouldn’t say anything directly x

BobbinThreadbare123 Thu 08-Nov-18 16:18:49

Yes but the Gaelic version of Michael has fada accents on the vowels, so that's part of the spelling. Pheobe is just plain wrong.

AddictedtoCrunchies Thu 08-Nov-18 16:20:36

I would send her a text, or ask her. I’d say ‘congratulations on your baby, she’s gorgeous. Before I write the card i just wanted to check how you’re spelling her name. Is it Phoebe like the girl in Friends or Pheobe as I've seen you post on fb?

legalseagull Thu 08-Nov-18 16:22:57

@AddictedtoCrunchies has it! Good one

Notsolarry Thu 08-Nov-18 16:24:26

One of my friends announced the birth of Saphire on facebook. I knew it was spelt wrong but I didn't want to be the one to point it out. It didn't however take long for someone else to correct her, and now at 5 months I see pictures of Sapphire on a daily basis.

flapjackfairy Thu 08-Nov-18 16:26:59

The trouble is people spell names in all sorts of weird ways. It is a minefield these days .

Haworthia Thu 08-Nov-18 16:32:06

If you look through the National Statistics baby names spreadsheet you find Phoebe misspelled “Pheobe” every year.

In 2017, 29 Pheobes were born vs 2000 Phoebes.

InfantaSybilla Thu 08-Nov-18 16:37:13

Weirdly I came on to say that I would correct someone if it was something like 'Pheobe' as I think that is more likely to be a genuine misspelling compared to perhaps spelling Mason as Maison (a purposely yoonik spelling)

cjt110 Thu 08-Nov-18 16:38:13

Hmmm. I don't know. Our son's name, when said, is relatively popular. The spelling is unusual. Someone said we had spelt it wrong - that we have used the female version. We have not and have used the neutral spelling.

Think ie - male, y - female and ey neutral.

At least if you're going to point it out, make sure you're a close enough friend that they won't be offended.

diddl Thu 08-Nov-18 16:42:03

I would have thought that if they have written it that way numerous times then that's how they are spelling it tbh.

pumpastrotter Thu 08-Nov-18 16:43:32

When you next see them say 'Oh is this little 'Fee-obe'?

But in seriousness, maybe just drop a congrats message and ask whether it will be spelt Pheobe or Phoebe?

Charolais Thu 08-Nov-18 16:47:53

I knew someone who named their baby boy Danielle thinking it was just another spelling of Daniel. Never said anything.

ReturnofSaturn Thu 08-Nov-18 16:49:12

I would congratulate her and comment saying you love the unusual spelling of the name...

Charolais Thu 08-Nov-18 16:53:52

I would tell them I've never heard the name before and ask how is it pronounced.

diddl Thu 08-Nov-18 16:54:42

"I knew someone who named their baby boy Danielle thinking it was just another spelling of Daniel. Never said anything."

Hopefully the registrar did!

It's two different names!

Hadalifeonce Thu 08-Nov-18 16:57:45

I did this, turned out they intended that spelling!

DontCallMeCharlotte Thu 08-Nov-18 16:58:47

I have a sister called Phoebe and, shamefully, it took me until my twenties to spell it correctly because Pheobe kind of looks right as well. I think I was basing it on the spelling of "people".

But I do think it's one of those that can only have one correct spelling (unlike my name which no one ever spells right!).

Theweasleytwins Thu 08-Nov-18 17:01:09

I saw someone spell Daisy as Daisey confused

Feel like sometimes people do it to be unique

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in