Talk

Advanced search

Alexa, nn Lexie? Just wondering about certain comments I’ve reveived

(68 Posts)
Lucylookingforhelp Wed 08-Aug-18 18:00:37

After hearing everyone tell me not to use it due to Amazon I’m quite sure Alexa is out of the running but just had some questions spurred by other posters. Have been told Lexie is chavvy (please don’t come at me with how horrible the word is as I’m simply parroting what I’ve been told) and am just confused/wondering how? Is it just me who sees it as a perfectly reasonable nn? confused

guiltynetter Wed 08-Aug-18 18:02:30

sorry but it is associated with being ‘chavvy’ where i live. especially when hyphenated with May!

ProseccoPoppy Wed 08-Aug-18 18:04:24

I just think it sounds like a name for a vehicle - maybe a boat - rather than a person,

Lucylookingforhelp Wed 08-Aug-18 18:04:24

Alexa? Or Lexie? @guiltynetter

Lucylookingforhelp Wed 08-Aug-18 18:07:51

Oops. Just seen the typo in the subject blush

Namelesswonder Wed 08-Aug-18 18:24:17

Lexie makes me think of Superman! Lex Luther. I have never heard it in real life so no idea if it’s Chav or not.

Sirzy Wed 08-Aug-18 18:26:06

I don’t mind Lexie but would probably go for Alexis instead of Alexa

twilightcafe Wed 08-Aug-18 18:27:27

Lexie is chavvy where I live. Sorry, you did ask!

Daphnedolittle Wed 08-Aug-18 18:27:45

Lexi is a nice nn, if you like it use it. I personally like it as a nn for Alexandra.

Alexa is nice but will always remind me of the amazon echo now. Alexi or Alexis?
Mumsnet is particularly snobby when it comes to names and isn't representative of real life. It is a name that would cross all classes I would say, not a bad thing.

CherieBabySpliffUp Wed 08-Aug-18 18:29:53

I agree. Alexandra or Alexandria could shorten to Lexie

JenFromTheGlen Wed 08-Aug-18 18:31:10

Alexia translates as inability to read.

foxtiger Wed 08-Aug-18 18:31:59

I know three Lexi(e)s - two are short for slightly different names and one is "just" Lexi. I have to say two of them are not terribly nice children. I wouldn't describe them by the word you mentioned but they are kind of "mean girls." The other is really lovely. I don't think I've developed any prejudice against the name because of the two mean ones and if I had an Alexa or Alexandra, I wouldn't be horrified if she wanted to go by Lexi.

If you're not sure about Alexa, how about Alexia? It gets round that particular association and you can see the link with Lexi more clearly too.

KatnissK Wed 08-Aug-18 18:36:12

No chavvy connotations in my area. I teach a few girls called Lexie and they are all lovely, bright pupils so I actually have positive associations with it.

PinkCalluna Wed 08-Aug-18 18:38:53

Depends where you live. Not chavvy (though I hate the word) where I am in Scotland.

pinkhorse Wed 08-Aug-18 18:40:47

It is chavvy where I am (East Anglia)

AppleJuiceFlood Wed 08-Aug-18 18:41:50

My daughter is a Lexie and she is definitely no chav and I love her name. We call her Lex most of the time. She seems happy with her name too. 🙂

guiltynetter Wed 08-Aug-18 19:00:38

sorry yes i meant lexie, not alexa

TheDinnerWitch Wed 08-Aug-18 19:06:51

It is 'chavvy' where I live I'm afraid (South Yorkshire)

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Wed 08-Aug-18 19:12:41

Alexis is a boys name across mainland Europe, and if on a girl I'd think Dynasty fan.

What about Alexandra, which can be shortened in lots of ways?

MrsKyloRen Wed 08-Aug-18 19:13:23

Agree with PinkCalluna, I’ve lived various places in Scotland and wouldn’t associate the name with being chavvy at all, I quite like it. Reminds me of Monarch of the Glen! grin

Lynne1Cat Wed 08-Aug-18 19:21:14

The name Alexia is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Alexia is: Defender of men, helper. Alexander the Great was a 4th century Macedonian king for whom the Egyptian city of Alexandria is named.

My granddaughter is named Alexia, and she's not Chavvy at all. She's intelligent, well-spoken, well-mannered and gorgeous...just saying.

MariaMadita Wed 08-Aug-18 19:48:40

Alexa is fine.

Lex/Lexie sounds like you really like the law or statutes... Not a fan, tbh.

ReginaPhalange89 Wed 08-Aug-18 19:50:57

I'm in Scotland and wouldn't say it was chavvy. I'm not overly keen on Lexie though, I'd rather Alex or Ali as a nn personally

pixieloux Wed 08-Aug-18 19:54:39

Everyone has their own personal associations with a name, no matter what it is but a name doesn't define a person. Being called/nicknamed Lexie won't make your daughter a "chav" just like the majority of people who are named/have named their daughters Ophelia or Persephone* don't actually think they're above everyone else.

*Using those two names as examples as they were on my list but been told they're too try hard lol.

WhyAreWeddingsSoAwks Wed 08-Aug-18 19:55:10

My niece is an Alexa nn Lexi. Parents are both high earning professionals, wouldn’t associate it with chavs at all personally smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: