Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Stuck on baby name for second son

(58 Posts)
HJL2506 Thu 14-Jun-18 16:01:09

Hi ladies!

I am 21 weeks pregnant with out 2nd son and not having an awful lot of luck with names.

Our little boy is called Stanley. As it stands I'm torn between Sidney and Ellis. I feel that Sidney may be too similar, but Ellis may be too modern to go with it. These are the only 2 names we love at the moment and are names we have loved for years.

Every time I hear a little boy being called one of these names I smile and prefer that name, until I hear the other and think the same!
Any help or inspiration would be appreciatedsmile x

Ps our boys will be 22 months apart if that helps.

DuchyDuke Thu 14-Jun-18 16:02:53

Alfred? Arthur? George? I quite like Sidney - think Sidney and Stanley go well together!

LuMarie Thu 14-Jun-18 16:05:19

I usually stay well clear of the name conversation as wthsmile It's up to you!

However to encourage, I don't think Ellis is too modern to go with your first. Classic names have become modern! Plus sounds lovely together I think.

For the names being too similar, many people go with a theme and no one cares, it's thought of as a nice family thing.

So both are good and you love them both! Go with whatever you end up feeling, don't worry about them not working because they both do/

HouseOfLynx Thu 14-Jun-18 16:08:14

I think I'd avoid two with the same initial. Too tricky when it comes to letters, school databases etc. Ellis is nice.

princessdaffodil Thu 14-Jun-18 16:10:18

They are both lovely names, I think I prefer Ellis but only just.

HJL2506 Thu 14-Jun-18 16:11:13

Hi ladies. Thank you for your replies. No offence to others but I really didn't want children with the same initials. But I do love both of these names but I just can't sit with one. I love Arthur too but that's Stanley's middle name. If I could predict the future and.know I'd have a third boy I would save one of the names for him lol x

Slippery Thu 14-Jun-18 16:14:15

My friend has Stanley, Arthur and Ernest. Another has Stanley and Cecil.

Chocolatecake12 Thu 14-Jun-18 16:14:53

I do think Sidney and Stanley are very similar.
Stanley was on my list, others on it were:
Joseph
Isaac
Oliver
Edward
William
Elias (similar to ellis )
Marcus
Joshua

MikeUniformMike Thu 14-Jun-18 18:46:36

Patrick?

Flamingosnbears Thu 14-Jun-18 20:28:08

Percy
Albert /Albie
Reginald /Reggie
Archer / Archie
Morgan
Milo
Leighton
Preston
Parker

Disfordarkchocolate Thu 14-Jun-18 20:30:23

Joseph? It means the lord has added. Nice for a second son.

gracielacey Thu 14-Jun-18 21:47:42

I think same initial is fine by itself, but only when the names are very different, that one letter withstanding.

E.g. Alex and Arthur - fine
Alex and Alan - not fine

And I think Sidney and Stanley are too similar - same first letter, same number of syllables, same vowel sound at end, same "rhythm"

gracielacey Thu 14-Jun-18 21:48:38

Also dislike same initial when it's more than 2 siblings.

2 siblings with same initial - could easily be coincidental

3 + is clearly deliberate and is a bit twee

missjsays Thu 14-Jun-18 21:57:24

Ellis is lovely, congrats x

Sophronia Thu 14-Jun-18 23:32:57

I like Sidney.

Picknickers Thu 14-Jun-18 23:48:11

I love Ellis and it sounds great with Stanley. Sidney always makes me think of kidneys!

Carouselfish Fri 15-Jun-18 00:08:38

I like Elliot with Stanley.

HJL2506 Fri 15-Jun-18 06:34:34

Thanks for your replies smile

Still no better off. I agree about Ellis and then agree with Sidney. So stuck. I guess will just have to see what we feel when baby is here.

If they were twins I wouldn't have named them Stanley and Sidney as that is too much. But seeing as they aren't I thought maybe we could get away with it.

The thing is I do prefer old fashioned names. If we did name him Sidney and had a third child, girl or boy, there would be no way their nme would also begin with an "S" as I haven't chosen to purposely do that.

My husband prefers Sidney but he would go for Ellis if I wanted to but the truth is I actually cannot decide.

Jospeh is lovely but I have a cousin with this name and don't really like him haha. It's funny how people can put you off. I understand about Sidney rhyming with Kidney but it hasn't put me off in all the time I love it. People said Stan the Man before my Stanley was born but again it didn't put me off. (He isn't known as Stan).

If we named him sidney we would use Ellis as a middle name, but not the other way round. X

GreatDuckCookery Fri 15-Jun-18 07:05:43

I wouldn't use Sidney with Stanley, it's a bit twee. Ellis doesn't go with Stanley, not that it actually matters though.

Arthur
Gilbert
Gulliver
Rupert

Bubblesoup Fri 15-Jun-18 07:58:54

Personally I really dislike Sidney, sorry. Especially Sid, which he is very likely to be referred to at some stage in his life. Ellis is better.
Stanley i love!

DwangelaForever Fri 15-Jun-18 08:03:20

Ellis isn't really modern it's been used for years and years! I like both your names I think they both go well, wait til you see his wee face and decide what he's more like!

HJL2506 Fri 15-Jun-18 08:32:59

Not he's fine everyone has different tastes so no offence taken. We wouldn't ever call the boys Sid and Stan and we will correct people if they do haha. Equally if we go with Ellis I won't have him called "El". Yes I think it will be best to wait until we see his face.

Arthur is Stanleys middle name and I'm not keen on the other suggestions. I think it will definitely be between Sidney and Ellis.

So tough as I love both names! I hear more of the name Ellis than I do Sidney. Oh I don't know 😫

Thurlow Fri 15-Jun-18 08:35:45

Douglas?

MinaPaws Fri 15-Jun-18 08:41:04

If you aren't going to shorten to Sid and Stan (I love both of those) then I do think they're too similar, sorry. People will constantly get them mixed up. That's tiresome for them, embarrassing for other. The focus of who they are in other people's minds becomes 'which one is which?'

Ellis goes well with Stanley imo. Other ideas you might like:
Elliott
Finlay
Alfred
Raymond

HJL2506 Fri 15-Jun-18 08:44:56

@MinaPaws

Yes that's true, especially as they will be so close in age 😫

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: