Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Charlotte nn Lottie

(27 Posts)
cttontail Wed 13-Jun-18 21:47:50

Too bland?

Any famous Charlottes in STEM? Or anyone else noteworthy who might help persuade me it's not too soft/girly?

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 13-Jun-18 21:52:51

I think they're both lovely. Quite girly, yes, but nothing wrong with that! Can't think of any famous Charlottes in STEM (but my old GP was a Charlotte and she was great, if that helps!).

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 22:08:56

It's fine. Always popular. Won't date. Classic.

Lifeaback Wed 13-Jun-18 22:11:21

Think it’s a lovely name- classic and feminine but definitely not too girly/cutesy

tissuesosoft Wed 13-Jun-18 22:21:43

I can think of Charlotte Brontë, Charlotte Gilman, Charlotte Hawkins Brown and Charlotte Grimké.

tissuesosoft Wed 13-Jun-18 22:22:56

Not specifically STEM but notable Charlottes ^^

tissuesosoft Wed 13-Jun-18 22:28:35

Oh and Charlotte Auerbach, Forten and Mason- more STEM related

SeamusMacDubh Wed 13-Jun-18 23:10:52

I don't like Lottie as a nn. I always find it a bit forced. Most Charlottes I have known go by Char as a nn rather than Lottie.

cttontail Wed 13-Jun-18 23:13:54

Thanks @tissuesosoft. Charlotte Auerbach is the sort of inspiration I need!

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 23:14:24

I know a Charl (sharl) and I think that's ok, Lottie is fine. Not keen on Charlie although it's a great boy's name.

moredoll Sun 17-Jun-18 00:03:14

Prefer Charlie for a nn.

Octopeppa Sun 17-Jun-18 01:06:53

I like Charlotte but dislike Lottie.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 17-Jun-18 01:09:46

Charlotte Perkins Gilman (/ˈɡɪlmən/); also Charlotte Perkins Stetson (July 3, 1860 – August 17, 1935), was a prominent American feminist, sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and nonfiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist and served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and lifestyle.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 17-Jun-18 01:11:13

Charlotte "Lotte" Auerbach FRS FRSE (14 May 1899 – 17 March 1994) was a German-Jewish zoologist and geneticist who contributed to founding the science of mutagenesis

MatildaLovesBooks Sun 17-Jun-18 09:38:21

Charlotte is nice if it’s ‘nice’ and normal you want to go for. It is bland.

If you go for Charlotte, I would personally avoid Lottie. Lottie is very precocious.

Fibbertigibbet Sun 17-Jun-18 16:38:47

I'm a Charlotte (nn Charlie) and my name has never cause me any issues. I feel I have the kind of name that allows me to be anything- I currently work in a STEM field, but I could just as easily be a lawyer or banker or anything, really.

I actually like Lottie. I wish I was a Lottie, but it's just not my nickname.

Itchytights Sun 17-Jun-18 16:40:08

Gorgeous- I love it

bychoiceornot Sun 17-Jun-18 16:45:03

My little sister is Lottie (Charlotte), not the 'typical' Lottie you might expect, as Matilda mentioned I suppose it could sound precocious... she's a great lass and it suits her well. But when my she was born, my brother and I both nagged my parents to make 'Charlie' her nickname instead. No dice! Be aware of kids and their fondness for rhyming names. She had the 'grotty spotty botty potty dotty Lottie' thing throughout school, although it never bothered her! She used to tell me herself she would rather have been Charlie, but now in her 20s, it's who she is, and wouldn't change it.

MissCharleyP Sun 17-Jun-18 16:45:38

I'm a Charlotte, nn; Charley, Char, Sharles. DF hated Lottie and always called me Charley so no one would use Lottie as a nn.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jun-18 16:49:47

Charlotte Forten and Charlotte Ray look pretty cool.

I work in STEM - there’s a rather formidable engineer called Charlotte who works for one of our partners. The kind of person you don’t say no to!

daisypond Sun 17-Jun-18 17:20:59

I actually do think Charlotte is a bit...limp. But it's fine, of course. Caroline has a bit more oomph about it and it's the same name, really.

Glumglowworm Sun 17-Jun-18 17:28:43

I love it

Charlotte is classic and timeless, and I think Lottie can be anything she wants!

Using Charlotte as the full name means if she decides she wants to be Charlie or Charl or whatever when she’s older, she can do.

NukaColaGirl Sun 17-Jun-18 17:34:06

I know a Charlotte/Lottie. She’s an absolute bad ass - just finishing her Virology PhD grin I’m biased as she’s my younger sister. Not even remotely precocious.

Starsandpancakes Sun 17-Jun-18 20:20:40

This thread makes me sad as it is what we’ve called our little girl. Op, I would just say the name is very popular despite lots of people seeming to dislike it!

Octopeppa Sun 17-Jun-18 21:37:29

Stars I'm sorry the thread has made you feel sad. Every name will have some who like it, some who don't. I think Charlotte is a lovely classic name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: