Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Same name

(12 Posts)
ellalouise90 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:00:20

anybody else notice how there are names everybody has on here? everyone seems to like the same names , feel as though I'm the only one who likes names a bit more different 🤭🤭

MeyYael Wed 13-Jun-18 21:41:51

Popular names are usually popular for a reason, aren't they? ;)

I love outrageous names. But I wouldn't actually use the truly uncommon names for a child...

(But many of the names I like are still quite uncommonnin the UK and where we live... Which I won't complain about wink)

0lwen Wed 13-Jun-18 21:46:03

what do you like OP?

AlbaFloss Wed 13-Jun-18 21:47:58

It's MN. They are notoriously top ten on here!

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 22:07:15

I feel that the same names get trotted out again and again. I probably do it myself. Girls names tend to be a bit frilly and boy's names tend to be nicknamey.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Wed 13-Jun-18 22:10:55

MN is extremely conservative when it comes to names. Anything not English Jane or Michael gets a “but no-one will be able to pronounce it” grin

Picknickers Wed 13-Jun-18 22:26:56

I asked about Vera and one person said I'd be subjecting my child to a life of misery 😂😂😂

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Wed 13-Jun-18 22:31:12

Poor Vera! sad grin

MeyYael Wed 13-Jun-18 22:31:42

Vera is such a pretty name (imo) smile

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 22:32:26

I know a lovely Vera but I still think Duckworth. Vera Duckworth won't mean a thing to youngsters though.
If you suggested Jane or Michael somebody would say "Bland" or how about Darcey or Dylan.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Wed 13-Jun-18 22:34:04

The classroom assistant in my primary school was called Vera and she was the loveliest, cuddliest woman ever. This was back when she was allowed to cuddle you and kiss your knee better. I used to pretend to fall so I would get a Vera kiss. blush

MikeUniformMike Wed 13-Jun-18 22:51:46

I'm curious as to the age of the posters sometimes, if older parents are more conservative, or if their background makes a difference.
The names from different cultures or languages - I made the mistake of suggesting Grainne, and someone said it was very middle aged.
The welsh names trotted out again and again sound middle aged to me.
You're not allowed to say a name will cause any prejudice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: