Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Chelsy and its implications...

(15 Posts)
NameChangedForThisQ Sun 27-May-18 23:46:42

With Chelsy Davy being chatted about due to wedding, it got me thinking. If someone came on here asking about the name Chelsy it would all be...

Spelled wrong
Chavvy
Yooneek
Everyone will spell it wrong
And all the rest

But when the name's actually on a person no one seems to care, do they? And everyone spells it just fine.

Joeybee Sun 27-May-18 23:49:31

I dunno.....I can accept Chelsy being someones name, but I still think it's chavvy and spelt stupidly.
People do accept peoples names, but doesn't mean that people like those names, or don't hold some sort of judgement.

BackforGood Sun 27-May-18 23:50:40

Agree with Joeybee

DuckEgg86 Sun 27-May-18 23:52:00

Isn’t there a tractor called Chelsey?

RedDwarves Mon 28-May-18 00:50:37

I also agree with Joeybee.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 28-May-18 01:28:26

I don't think there is really any such thing as out right hating or even loving a name, really. I know people say "Oh once a child has got their name you can't imagine them being called anything else.However It depends who has got it.
Not everyone grows onto their name
eg I know 3 Lily's I love it on 2 of them but despise it to the point of irritation on the other. She just isn't a Lily by any strech of the imagination.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 28-May-18 01:30:05

Although I must admit it's hard to imagine a Princess Chelsy.grin

Pemba Mon 28-May-18 01:34:05

Yes I thought that too! But apparently Harry had proposed to her - pre Meghan? I think if she had accepted she would have had to change her name.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 28-May-18 01:42:20

Awww it wouldn't have been right or fair to strip away her name.

notsolittlegrebe Mon 28-May-18 07:42:25

DuckEgg86 Chelsea tractor refers to the massive 4x4 driven by a certain section of the population of West London and elsewhere.

I dunno, Chelsey Davey was born into privilege so her parents didn't have to worry about her name, they knew she'd be fine. The parents of a working class Chelsy might worry that teachers/potential employers etc would make judgements on the name which could affect her life.

Also it's not a very nice name wink

villainousbroodmare Tue 29-May-18 14:54:39

Chelsy is South African (I've been living here for a few years now) and there isn't the same standard of what constitutes 'chavvy' or 'yoonique'. For example, this morning I got an email from a Cammi-leigh and met a Charnel (in her 40s; she said "Like the designer but with an R") and a child called Tyger.

MikeUniformMike Tue 29-May-18 15:27:02

Most names are fine when you get to know the person, and unless they changed their name they didn't get to choose it.
People do have prejudice about names, whether we like it or not.
If you saw a name written down, would you expect the person to look a certain way or be from a certain culture or have a different background?
I wasn't aware of Chelsy Davey before she was Hazza's girlfriend, but if I'd seen the name I would have thought her parents can't spell.
Chelsea isn't too bad (e.g. Chelsea Clinton), but it became more popular and downmarket.

TatianaLarina Tue 29-May-18 16:40:00

Being South African no-one expects anything.

TatianaLarina Tue 29-May-18 16:40:40

Charlize Theron is another example.

Sunshiness Tue 29-May-18 20:55:11

There's a US gymnast called Chellsie hmm

I do kind of judge

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: