Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Help! Does our chosen name work?!

(33 Posts)
Bubbaolive Sun 27-May-18 13:17:12

Hi all!
My husband and I after some opinions on our favourite baby name to help us out? We love Scarlett, but the trouble is our surname is similar, it’s Schubert. The Sc at the start and T end, the same number of syllables...I think the sounds are different enough to not be too rhyming but I’ve over thought it now and can’t see clearly! What do you all think?
Thanks so much in advance!

Jj2431 Sun 27-May-18 13:18:27

I think it's different enough. Go for it.

Ohyesiam Sun 27-May-18 13:19:08

May sound cute or a bit comical. Some will like it some won’t. You could have a good middle name she could use instead if she doesn’t like it?

AvoidingDM Sun 27-May-18 13:20:12

It sounds like a screen name to me. I don't think I'd use it

FrogPie Sun 27-May-18 13:21:01

I love it and think it works well - sounds very ‘superhero’y! you see loads of superheroes with alliterative names similar, Peter Parker, Bruce Banner... it wouldn’t put me off whatsoever!

BertieBotts Sun 27-May-18 13:22:19

It might be better with a balancing middle name.

MaybeBabey Sun 27-May-18 13:29:10

Scarlett Schubert sounds great imo smile

But I do feel like it would look nicer (particularly the initials) with a middle name.

Scarlett Elizabeth, Scarlett Carina, Scarlett Victoria, Alexandra, Lydia, Elena etc... (3+ syllable names)

Aprilmightbemynewname Sun 27-May-18 13:33:56

Put a mn in there!! Ime people give dc the full title in the first few weeks to sound out the name!!
After that she will just be Scarlett anyway!!

Bubbaolive Sun 27-May-18 13:38:03

Thank you all! Oh we’d definitely have a middle name there, we were thinking something single syllable to break it up. In reality tho names are usually only pronounced by first and last names, so trying to make sure it’s not too laughable with just the two. I’m too pregnant and hormonal to think straight!

CrikeyGinger Sun 27-May-18 13:40:04

I think they sound good together. Schubert is a cracking surname.

catalinablue Sun 27-May-18 13:45:37

Ooh, Scarlett is such a gorgeous name, absolutely love it! I think that whilst Scarlett Schubert does sound a little rhyme-y/like a stage name, it's not too bad (as in, its not offensive or laughable). So, I'd say to go for it OP, and just be glad your surname is not Letter perhaps. grin

SparkyBlue Sun 27-May-18 13:46:39

I think it sounds fabulous.

MaybeBabey Sun 27-May-18 13:50:52

Thank you all! Oh we’d definitely have a middle name there, we were thinking something single syllable to break it up

That would work as well. (I really wouldn't use a two syllable one, btw.)

In reality tho names are usually only pronounced by first and last names, so trying to make sure it’s not too laughable with just the two

It's not laughable. It sounds a bit superhero-y, sure. But it's honestly lovely.

(I'm somewhat jealous of your surname, tbh.)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 27-May-18 18:41:06

The more I say it, the more I like it ! 😄

daisypond Sun 27-May-18 18:58:49

I think it's fine. It's a bit tongue-twistery but OK.

DramaAlpaca Sun 27-May-18 19:01:44

I've said it to myself a few times. I think I like it.

Sametimesameplace Sun 27-May-18 19:28:54

I think it’s hard to say.

Joeybee Sun 27-May-18 23:52:46

In theory this name shouldn't work. I am also really not a fan of alliteration names. However Scarlett Schubert sounds really good. I think it works fine, and you should totally go for it.

NC4Now Sun 27-May-18 23:56:06

I’d love to be called Scarlett Schubert.

I’m a writer and it definitely passes my byline test.

RedDwarves Mon 28-May-18 00:51:02

Scarlett Schubert is great. Nowt wrong with it. smile

flybabyfly Mon 28-May-18 03:42:58

It sounds great, go for it!

Copperbonnet Mon 28-May-18 03:49:54

Sorry, I think it’s quite hard to say.

Scarlett is a great name though.

MrsCD67 Mon 28-May-18 09:43:47

I think it goes but it also sounds like a character name

BabyItsAWildWorld Mon 28-May-18 10:38:54

I think it's too hard to say- it would work if it flowed but it's a real effort.

Middle name is irrelevant as after the initial announcemen, throughout school and career, in all contexts the first and surnames only will be used together.

I don't think this name works myself.

Bubbaolive Mon 28-May-18 14:09:13

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone! The votes are split so far, and looking like we may need to invest in a supergirl outfit when she’s born if we go for it! Urgh still on the fence...hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: