Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Any welsh name experts out there?

(13 Posts)
Welshboysname Wed 23-May-18 09:18:47

I’ve been told that the name ‘Roe’ is welsh but can’t find any evidence of it online. Been told it is has been used in the south valleys. Would like to use it as a middle name if it does indeed have welsh roots (for my father) Anyone heard it before and knows it’s background? Many thanks.

AjasLipstick Wed 23-May-18 10:26:37

I am from Wales....Roe is most definitely of English origin. Late Middle English.

If you really want a Welsh name then don't choose one of dubious origin. It's perfectly possible the name was used in the South Valleys but that could have resulted from one English parent naming a son Roe and then that name getting passed down among subsequent sons.

It's not a Welsh name. So many wonderful boys Welsh names out there.

Owain
Gwyn
Rhys
Llyr
Afon
Emlyn

Spam88 Wed 23-May-18 10:41:29

I've never come across it in South Wales, it doesn't look very welsh either.

Welshboysname Wed 23-May-18 11:34:09

Thank you, I didn’t think it was but wanted to check. There is significance of Roe for me but wanted to be clear on origin.

spiderlight Wed 23-May-18 11:34:26

I've never encountered it in South Wales either and agree that the spelling doesn't look at all Welsh.

MikeUniformMike Wed 23-May-18 12:00:28

I think OP is referring to the surname Roe (remember Erika anyone?)
I looked for it on named.publicprofiler.org/
and it seems to have a hot spot in South East Wales. It isn't a welsh name.
I have not heard of the name Afon. It is the welsh word for River. I wouldn't use it unless you wanted to subject a child to a lifetime of misspelling and mispronunciation.

SemperIdem Wed 23-May-18 12:37:34

As others have said, Roe isn’t Welsh.

I’ve met an Afon, Mike. In his early 30’s...English though. I was a bit confused when I first met him.

MikeUniformMike Wed 23-May-18 12:46:13

Oh Ok. Sounds a bit wet to me.

Hogtini Wed 23-May-18 12:55:36

Pun intended Mike? grin

MikeUniformMike Wed 23-May-18 13:13:00

Oh yes!

Dixiestampsagain Fri 25-May-18 00:27:08

I know people here with that surname (in the SEWales valleys) but have never heard of it apart from that.

LadyMisty Fri 25-May-18 00:34:17

In in south east valleys and never heard of it for a first or second name.

Dixiestampsagain Fri 25-May-18 00:42:46

It’s alwsys struck me as an odd spelling; I know plenty of Rowes but only one Roe family (our Valley is just north of Newport)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: