Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Which boys name do you like best?

(32 Posts)
Iknowacrackingowlsanctuary Mon 21-May-18 21:41:34

Due DS2 in a few weeks and DH and I seem to be going round in circles thinking of names. My only ‘criteria’ is that it is a proper name and one which could be used whether DS is a judge or a builder IYSWIM grin

DS1 is called George and our middle name has been decided as Alexander.

Our list is:

James - but is this too similar to George?

Thomas - I love this name but DS1 is obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine so it seems a bit odd using it now.

Matthew - recent addition from DH and I love it but DH is now not sure hmm

Oliver - not sure how this sounds with Alexander as the middle name? Also not keen on Ollie.

Henry/Harry - DH wants Harry but I feel it’s too nicknamy and would want Henry on the bc and Harry doesn’t seem like a natural nickname of Harry to me....

So out of this list which do you like best? What do the names make you think of? Or any other suggestions along these lines because if I have another conversation about names I may well explode grin

Joeybee Mon 21-May-18 21:59:15

Love your names.
James is too similar to George.
Thomas is a lovely traditional name that's totally being underused now. However if you're having reservations because your associating it with the tank engine, then I'd stay clear. You don't want to end up with name regret.
Matthew is totally underused too, and was on my list. I think this is a safe choice, you couldn't judge a Matthew.
Oliver is too popular - it's a bit boring now and will sound dated when it starts to fall from popularity in a few years.
Henry/Harry. I agree Henry on bc. Henry is an awesome name. Harry is the accepted nickname for Henry so would be fine to use this name. I do prefer Harry to Henry also. However Henry and George is SO cute together. Whereas Harry and George reminds me of Harry Potter!
Good luck with your name choices

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 21-May-18 21:59:24

James Alexander or Thomas Alexander.
George would probably love his baby brother to be called Thomas.😄

user1498549192 Mon 21-May-18 22:02:07

Love Matthew! Gorgeous and underused name. I've only ever met nice Matthews.

IAmALamp Mon 21-May-18 22:02:56

Benjamin?
Isaac
William

Pudding01 Mon 21-May-18 22:08:05

Henry/Harry Alexander fits perfectly with George smile

If I have a boy, I've always liked the name George Alexander. Good taste OP! X

BB2018 Mon 21-May-18 22:20:25

Definitely don’t think James is too similar to George - they go well together. But I think Matthew Alexander is my favourite option...

bridgetreilly Mon 21-May-18 22:24:43

Thomas or James. By the time he's older, no one will care about the Tank Engine, but when he's little it's a cute reference that his older brother will also love.

OrlandaFuriosa Mon 21-May-18 22:27:56

James Alexander Matthew or Matthew Alexander James. James is one of the few names that crosses the social divide, judge, peer, builder, vagrant.

Good classic names,

applesandpears56 Mon 21-May-18 22:32:51

Jacob Alexander

ellalouise90 Mon 21-May-18 22:33:53

Henry or Matthew!
Matthew is so under used and is such a cute name x

InkSnail Mon 21-May-18 22:36:29

James

applesandpears56 Mon 21-May-18 22:45:46

Actually I’d have Alexander as a first name
Alexander Matthew smile

RavenWings Mon 21-May-18 22:48:40

James, Thomas or Matthew. I'm not seeing the issue with George and James tbh.

Oliver is a bit weak sounding, and Henry does nothing for me.

Awrite Mon 21-May-18 22:52:13

I like Matthew.

For me, James is too close to George.

Iknowacrackingowlsanctuary Mon 21-May-18 23:11:58

Thanks for the quick replies!

Glad not everyone thinks James is too similar to George as it’s one of my favourites, just had a wobble when trying them out together like signing a card “Owl, DH, George and James” grin

Also feeling the Thomas and Matthew love - yay! It just feels weird saying Thomas for the baby when DS makes reference to Thomas the Tank constantly and is standing there in his Thomas tshirt, hat and socks pushing a Thomas walker along! grin And I adore Matthew, agree that it is such an underused name at the moment.

Striking Oliver off the list as I’m not keen and still not sure about Henry/Harry.

I’d love Alexandar as the first name but it’s to honour a close, living relative and would just be weird to use as a first name. Surname begins with B which rules out Benjamin unfortunately.

Sophronia Mon 21-May-18 23:29:10

Matthew

MrsCD67 Mon 21-May-18 23:30:43

Thomas, Matthew and Henry are the best!
Congratulations smile

Dixiestampsagain Tue 22-May-18 00:14:23

I know a few sets of siblings called Harry and George, but Henry and George does sound a bit T the T. James is lovely.

InkSnail Tue 22-May-18 01:29:37

George and...

Luke
David
Samuel
Frederick
Daniel
Theodore
Aidan
Isaac
Edward
Victor
Felix
Peter
Nathaniel

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 22-May-18 06:53:03

way like James but wouldn't use it if I had a George

Love Thomas a remember his obsession with Thomas will be so short lived in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't see it as a reason not to use in fact it might help your older DS bond with his little brother

Matthew is nice enough

Oliver is nice but I do know alot of them. I think Ollie is avoidable in the early years as non of the preschool Oliver's I know to by Ollie. School will probably bring the shortening though

Love Henry but hate Harry. Your husband loves Harry though so in your case I would avoid Henry

I'd go for Thomas Alexander

Proudmummy2MA Tue 22-May-18 08:14:15

Love all of your name choices!

My favourite is Matthew Alexander, followed by James Alexander. Thomas is lovely but we didn't use it for our second as our first is a huge Thomas the tank engine fan!

AnyaMoondial Tue 22-May-18 08:19:04

Really love Matthew.

Iknowacrackingowlsanctuary Tue 22-May-18 08:51:01

I think top 3 are:

Matthew Alexander
James Alexander
Thomas Alexander

And now it’s just a wait until we meet him and see which one suits (leaning heavily towards Matthew though....grin)

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 22-May-18 16:43:24

All of your name choices are really lovely OP, you can't go wrong. 😄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: