Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Blossom or Dolly

(166 Posts)
ellalouise90 Mon 21-May-18 16:35:49

I know these names won't be everyone's cup of teas but I have a 3 year old daughter named Heidi Rose and I really love how Dolly sounds with Heidi , 'Heidi and Dolly' but ever since I was a teenager I have had a huge love for the name Blossom.. what do you think? smile

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Mon 21-May-18 16:37:33

honestly?
You are naming children that will become adults, not pet cows or dolls.
Sorry.

SisterA Mon 21-May-18 16:37:56

I love Dolly!!!

Fluffiest Mon 21-May-18 16:38:50

Do you not like this third child?

FloatyFlo Mon 21-May-18 16:39:02

Can't say either are nice tbh but prefer Blossom over Dolly. Dolly is just awful!

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 21-May-18 16:39:14

What about Dorothy, nn Dolly? Heidi and Dorothy sound lovely too.

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 21-May-18 16:39:21

An actress in Coronation Street is Dolly-Rose, sounds cool!

ellalouise90 Mon 21-May-18 16:40:07

I really like them both , I personally don't understand why people associate the name 'blossom' with a cow? Heidi is a beautiful name as is Dolly and blossom. Just my opinion 😊

withsexypantsandasausagedog Mon 21-May-18 16:40:13

I think Dolly is preferable to Blossom (I just can't imagine being an adult with that name, sorry!) but don't like Dolly either. Just bear in mind that they won't always be 'Dolly and Heidi' as they grow up and do their own things etc. I think Heidi Rose is cute - and can picture a grown up Heidi!

Sessy19 Mon 21-May-18 16:40:30

Wow. Chicken! Ouch!!

I think both names are so lovely. And both go equally nicely with Heidi

Jammycustard Mon 21-May-18 16:40:50

Have you two threads about this?

I’m not wild about Blossom, but prefer it to Dolly.

LighthouseSouth Mon 21-May-18 16:40:50

I'm biased because I was nicknamed "dolly" as a baby, so to me it's a pet name, not a real name

then as an adult I read the Susan Hill book and now it's the first thing I think of, sorry!

Blossom - hmm, no, sorry, think there's a very high chance a child would hate that. Plus can you imagine being called Blossom in your career?

bookmum08 Mon 21-May-18 16:41:34

Hamster names. Or guinea pigs. Or ponies. Or as someone already said - cow names.

FloatyFlo Mon 21-May-18 16:42:07

Oh c'mon people! A grown woman called Dolly!! Nooooo! (Ignoring Dolly Parton - was that actually her name or a stage name??)

Cockmagic Mon 21-May-18 16:42:15

Heidi is gorgeous!

Sorry but dolly or blossom is shit!

Please pick a normal name, like Heidi.

TwitterQueen1 Mon 21-May-18 16:42:38

They are names for horses IMHO - or cows. Not girls. Dolly is worse. Can you imagine the teasing? She'd be forever called Barbie...

iklboo Mon 21-May-18 16:43:08

* Please pick a normal name, like Heidi.*

OP already has a daughter called Heidi.

iklboo Mon 21-May-18 16:44:22

@Cockmagic - sorry! Totally misread what you meant (blames steroid injection in ear) blush

Cockmagic Mon 21-May-18 16:46:51

nameberry.com/nametalk/threads/154354-Sibling-for-Heidi

Have a look at this op, some suggestions

TigerBubbles Mon 21-May-18 16:49:03

My LO is called Dolly after my grandma and honestly I've never seen a child suit there name more. We do also call her by her middle name which is a 'normal' name so if she dislikes her name when she's older she can always go by that. Although tbh I have a normal name and people still managed to think of stupid nicknames, I'd have much rather had something a little different

TroubledLichen Mon 21-May-18 16:50:56

Heidi is beautiful. Dolly and Blossom sound like you’re naming livestock.

autumnkate Mon 21-May-18 16:52:40

I really like them both but I would have used Blossom if I had been braver!

Have you heard the James Taylor song ‘Blossom’- one of my all time favourites- it might sway you!

rainbowstardrops Mon 21-May-18 16:53:46

Go with what you love!

I like less common names more individual names too and I prefer Blossom over Dolly.

I'd be tempted to give them a more standard middle name that they could use if they preferred when they're older.

HeyDolly Mon 21-May-18 16:54:40

You’re having a baby, not buying a pony. Honestly OP, this is pregnancy hormones clouding your rational judgement grin

Sophronia Mon 21-May-18 16:57:01

You’re not just naming a baby, she’ll be an adult at some point. Can you imagine a 40 year old Dolly or Blossom?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: