Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Romée

(23 Posts)
stellinaa Mon 23-Apr-18 03:57:28

Opinions? How would you pronounce Romée?
Absolutely love the name but feel like it may be mispronounced (Ro-mee vs Ro-may).

Please suggest any similar names. smile

pingoose Mon 23-Apr-18 04:00:00

The e acute means it is correctly pronounced Ro-may. If you wanted it to be pronounced Ro-mee, you would need to drop that.

stellinaa Mon 23-Apr-18 04:09:52

I like it as Ro-may (hence the accent), but just curious if people may still mispronounce it. Wouldn't want to burden DD with having to correct people all the time

TroubledLichen Mon 23-Apr-18 04:21:13

There’s a Dutch Victoria’s Secret model called Romee (no accents) Strijd who I believe pronounces it Ro-may. But as it’s so unusual I think 99.99% of people would pronounce is Ro-mee. I’ve only ever come across the accented version as a surname in France but I suppose that would ensure Ro-may was the ‘correct’ pronounciation although not everyone would actually know that. If Romee Strijd takes up with Leonardo DiCaprio, she’s about 22 and a blonde underwear model so she no doubt ticks all his boxes, then you never know it might become a well known name! Baring that do you like Romilly instead perhaps?

Raines100 Mon 23-Apr-18 07:03:25

Never heard of it, but I would say Ro-may due to the acute accent.

Dixiestampsagain Mon 23-Apr-18 07:57:43

I know a Romy, so would assume Romee (don’t know how to do the thingy!) was different.

TatianaLarina Mon 23-Apr-18 14:53:28

Romy would be a lot easier everyone will mispronounce Romée

AnneTwackie Mon 23-Apr-18 14:56:59

I would think that was pronounced Romee, sorry.
Could you perhaps go for something like Rose-May and use it as a nickname?

YourVagesty Mon 23-Apr-18 15:04:20

It's absolutely lovely. I would pronounce it 'Ro-May'

HappyLollipop Mon 23-Apr-18 15:07:47

I would pronounce it Ro-may because of the accent at the end but a lot of people would probably pronounce it Roo-me but it's a lovely name.,

TatianaLarina Mon 23-Apr-18 15:35:40

I have a friend called Romani which is pronounced RoMarni rather than Romany as in gipsy. (She’s not English) I’ve always thought it was very pretty.

TatianaLarina Mon 23-Apr-18 15:36:08

Also like the name Romilly which could be Romi for short.

florascotia2 Mon 23-Apr-18 16:52:43

I'd say 'Rom-ay' (to rhyme with 'Tom'). And I'd roll the 'R'.
Not 'Row-may' (as in Rose).

stellinaa Tue 24-Apr-18 11:53:43

Thanks all!

Not a big fan of Romilly (knew an awful girl name Milly which puts me off). So gotta keep thinking.

lindyhopy Tue 24-Apr-18 11:59:53

I would have pronounced it ro-mee

ILikeMyChickenFried Tue 24-Apr-18 12:01:41

I'd say Rom-ay

MargoLovebutter Tue 24-Apr-18 12:02:44

However it should be pronounced, in the UK, it will end up as Roomy!

Mrsknackered Wed 25-Apr-18 23:47:23

Renée is fairly well know, so I don’t think Romée is particularly testing.

It was DP’s first choice for a girl for DS2, he has a very similar name!

TonicClonicAndTheWaves Wed 25-Apr-18 23:55:57

I'd say Ro May, but only because that was the name of the lady who officiated at our wedding. She's a lovely lady so it's a posit connotation here.

LittleLightsShineBright Thu 26-Apr-18 00:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SheGotBetteDavisEyes Thu 26-Apr-18 00:03:43

The e acute means it is correctly pronounced Ro-may

This ^^.

SheGotBetteDavisEyes Thu 26-Apr-18 00:04:13

I know a Roma, in her early 40's. Similar?

Alexia05 Fri 27-Apr-18 12:01:26

I'm not from G.B, I speak French and we have a lot of French names here, so I know a young girl whose name is Romée. It is almost pronounced like Ro-may but without the 'y'. Try Googeling the pronounciation of the French é or ée (dubble ée is femine), you'll see that it's a sound that doesn't really excist in English. It's like the month May but you need to drop the y. I know, it's sounds weird like this but it's very difficult to explain this if you can't hear it. ;-)

I like the name, but I wouldn't choose it if I was living in an English speaking country, to be hones,t cause to me, it would always sound like a wrong pronounciation. Then again, Esmée is a French name that became known in English. The pronounciation in French is the same as Romée but I know it's a little bit different in English and I got used to that. So perhaps that will happen with Romée too? ;-)
It's like Caroline. In French, that name is always pronounced as Carolyn (often Karolyn in English) so with an y like in Cindy. But written like Caroline, it is pronounced like the word 'line' in English, isn't it?
A less confusing name is Romy (like the actress Romy Schneider). That sounds the same in every language. But if you like Romée, go for it. But I would leave the accent on it cause otherwise some people might confuse it with Romee.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: