Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Positive boost for our chosen name please

(80 Posts)
FairyFantastic Sun 22-Apr-18 23:10:34

'Violet'

Feeling a bit down and pathetic and need a boost.

Family have made it clear they don't like our chosen name. I ignored it at first but it is increasingly hard. New suggestions are constantly thrown at me. I too had doubts about it, but DP wouldn't budge and my favourite name changes weekly. The name doesn't fit with family tradition of having long girls names, and as pointed out by mumsnet it is apparently very popular (unusual names are in my family). From all the arguing the name has sort of stuck and now I'd regret not using it in the future.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the name at the start. It was one of 4 names agreed by me and DP (Jennifer, Elizabeth, Lucy, Violet - also Katherine somewhat). I love how it looks and sounds, and out of all floral names this is the only one I'd consider using.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I am fine with people disliking the name, in fact when I posted here originally a lot of people hated it but we went with it anyway! Baby due anytime now and I just need a little positive boost or slap to get these hormones in place.

milkysmum Sun 22-Apr-18 23:12:09

Well i absolutely love it- simple as that really!

Colonelpopcorn Sun 22-Apr-18 23:12:43

I love violet.
Dh has vetoed.
Stick to your guns. It’s your baby and your choice.

PerfectlyDone Sun 22-Apr-18 23:13:54

It's a lovely name smile

You like it - go with it.

You newbie mistake was to tell anybody about your chosen name before your new arrival had actually, well, arrived.

AnnaY94 Sun 22-Apr-18 23:14:22

I think it’s a lovely name smile

Atalune Sun 22-Apr-18 23:15:33

I love love love it!

Little baby violet, so pretty and a dynamic name.

Do not be swayed.

DramaAlpaca Sun 22-Apr-18 23:15:33

OP, Violet is gorgeous.

Please ignore all negative comments from family & go with the name you love. Remember it's your choice, not theirs. They'll change their tune and like it after she arrives anyway, family usually do.

And next time, don't tell them in advance!

neighbourhoodwitch Sun 22-Apr-18 23:15:59

love it

Ketzele Sun 22-Apr-18 23:16:04

I got talked out of my favourite names by family, too.

Go with Violet - it's really pretty smile

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 Sun 22-Apr-18 23:19:25

For what it's worth, I think it's gorgeous OP! It's a lovely natural name - natural names are beautiful due to their connotations - but it's not the usual 'Iris' which is ridiculously popular at the momoment. I'd ignore at your family say (my family can never agree on things like this - and I'd be surprised if yo find anyone with a family who have 1000% surported a name)- and I'd make sure that your dh really does love it. However, the most important thing is that you yourself really, really love it!!! Stay strong flowers

AnotherRoadsideAttraction Sun 22-Apr-18 23:19:43

Gorgeous name.

Stop discussing names with people. You and DH love it (rightly so, it's a lovely name), so you don't need to bring anyone else into the conversation!

PerfectlyDone Sun 22-Apr-18 23:22:04

Once you introduce baby Violet to her family she will very soon inhabit the name and nobody is going to think of her as anybody other than 'Violet'.

FairyFantastic Sun 22-Apr-18 23:23:09

I wanted to keep it quiet but when people would ask DP what names we'd thought of, rather than think of a random list (like I did) he would just say 'Violet' - even before I had agreed to it. sigh

JustSeeingHowManyCharactersWeC Sun 22-Apr-18 23:23:22

Wait until baby arrives. I was certain mine was one of three names. She wasn't. Four days later we found a totally different one that didn't fit the formula of the other three (if that makes sense).

Oddly our son we picked a name around 20 weeks and he came out and he was that name, he couldn't be anything else if he tried!

FairyFantastic Sun 22-Apr-18 23:24:18

Thank you for your support mumsnetters. I'm sat reading AIBU threads and just feeling bleh. Damn hormones!

KirstenRaymonde Sun 22-Apr-18 23:26:00

It’s a lovely name, not super popular, timeless and suits all ages. Ignore others, they get to name their own babies.

Ohyesiam Sun 22-Apr-18 23:28:24

Beautiful name

IthinkIsawahairbrushbackthere Sun 22-Apr-18 23:29:14

I think it is a beautiful name and has such a lovely associations - abundant love.

Nottalotta Sun 22-Apr-18 23:31:03

I love it! I'll never have a girl now but if I did she'd be violet or Clementine.

WhereIsBlueRabbit Sun 22-Apr-18 23:37:09

It's lovely! Such a pretty name and I love the flower too. Plus good nicknames: Vi and Lettie. Great choice!grin

Weezol Sun 22-Apr-18 23:41:33

I'm in my forties and have never, ever met or come across a Violet - and I have been in jobs with thousands and thousands of application forms, birth/marriage certs and credit checks through my hands.

I like it very much. You three are your own little family now - make your own traditions.

Weezol Sun 22-Apr-18 23:45:44

Another thought, it's also one of the three colours adopted by the Women's Suffrage Movement, so extra historical meaning too, especially this year. Even if you don't care much about this, it should give the 'traditional' brigade a moments pause.

Joeybee Mon 23-Apr-18 00:53:12

I'm having a boy. However if this baby had been a girl then i would've called them Violet.
Violet is a name which was popular in the early 1900's to 30's then declined. Now it is raising in popularity again. A lot of people in your family (the generations above) probably associate Violet as an old lady name, because that's where they will have heard it. However names tend to go round on a 100 year cycle, so what seems dated or clunky to one generation wont to the next.
I really think it is a good name because it manages to be both elegant and floral, but also quite a strong, bold name. It's also 3 syllables, so not really a short name. I really think you should just go with the name you like, to hell if family feel the need to be critical or negative. My family are the same with voicing their negative opinions. It's not helpful at all. That's why we will not be announcing the name or sex of our baby to family until he is born.

Good luck.

AdultHumanFemale Mon 23-Apr-18 00:56:28

The name that got away, for me. So lovely! Very nice with Lucy, now that I see them together...

FairyFantastic Mon 23-Apr-18 00:57:09

Ok, my mood is lifted somewhat!

I hadn't thought of the suffragettes at all, but that's another lovely link Weezol especially as I am from Manchester myself.

Just needed that little boost of reassurance. Thank you mumsnetters!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: