Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Yolanda or Elizabeth?

(17 Posts)
Austinite Fri 20-Apr-18 16:12:01

Given the choice of these two names, which would you go for?

And if you had to mark both names out of 10 what would you give them?

NannyR Fri 20-Apr-18 16:16:04

Definitely Elizabeth - a timeless, classic name, nice shortenings/nicknames. Personally I don't like Yolanda at all, 0/10.

daisypond Fri 20-Apr-18 16:21:22

They're very different. Yolanda is a very Spanish name. Might be odd if you've got no Spanish connections, although I don't dislike it. I'd go for Elizabeth 100%.

Heratnumber7 Fri 20-Apr-18 16:24:52

Elizabeth. It's pretty and has a lot of possible short forms you can use as nicknames.

YoucancallmeVal Fri 20-Apr-18 16:26:01

Yolanda is 46 and works in an office. Lizzie is tall and willowy with flowing hair. For me any way!

Austinite Fri 20-Apr-18 16:42:54

Thanks for the replies. smile

My name is Yolanda and I've never liked it. My middle name is Elizabeth. I've just emigrated to the USA where people pronounce my name as Yo-lond, which is unbearable.

I've been toying with the idea of ditching the Yolanda and doing a switcheroo with my middle name. Honestly, Yolanda is one of the ugliest names I've ever heard, I don't know what my Mum was thinking. Plus, people have been getting my name wrong all my life, you can even see some people glaze over as if to say 'Oh God, I can't be doing with all that'. Over the years I've been called Lolanda, Leander, Alanda, etc etc.

Oh to be free of this name and have a normal name that people can pronounce! Deed Poll here I come!

Thank you for all replies. x

YoucancallmeVal Fri 20-Apr-18 16:50:04

Bugger, sorry OP!!
My parents lumbered me with a hideous name and my middle name is also crap, so am envious of your option!

PinkbicyclesinBerlin Fri 20-Apr-18 16:57:04

If you don’t like your name do it. Elizabeth or Beth or Liz or Eliza are all fab names.

Austinite Fri 20-Apr-18 18:42:32

Quite right, my Mum is from Madrid. Yolanda is a fairly common name in Spain. As you probably know, the letter Y is pronounced as a J in Spain, the correct way to say Yolanda is actually Jolanda. In Holland and Eastern Europe it's Jolanta. Even worse, IMO!

Austinite Fri 20-Apr-18 18:43:57

^ The message above was aimed at the member Daisypond, I thought I was quoting by clicking 'add message'. Evidently it didn't work.

nooka Fri 20-Apr-18 18:59:58

Mumsnet is quite basic (not that that is necessarily a bad thing) OP so you can only add messages to the thread not to particular posts.

I actually quite like Yolanda, I used to work with a Yola (from Eastern Europe) who was lovely. I don't believe that you need a deed poll, I know plenty of people who are known by their second name, there is usually a preferred name option on things like employment applications etc.

Yika Fri 20-Apr-18 21:12:18

I like both names equally - I think Yolanda is really pretty! But just go by your middle name - isn't that what they are for?!

Austinite Fri 20-Apr-18 21:54:35

Thanks, ladies. smile

gettingtherequickly Fri 20-Apr-18 22:07:36

A Yolanda bullied me unmercifully at school, it's an ugly name.
Elizabeth is beautiful and has loads of nicknames, I'd change it in a heartbeat.

BringMeCoffeePlease Fri 20-Apr-18 22:44:16

I really don’t like Yolanda and I love Elizabeth. Why people have struggled to pronounce Yolanda though is beyond me. I would have thought it’s a very easy name to pronounce. Elizabeth is definitely a timeless classic OP.

chezmk1988 Fri 20-Apr-18 23:13:50

Definitely Elizabeth

Joeybee Fri 20-Apr-18 23:18:08

They are both such different names.

Elizabeth is very timeless and classic and has lots of versatility with nicknames and such.

Yolanda is more uncommon and of Greek origin (but also commonly used in Spain), so it has a much different feel.

Personally I'd prefer to use Elizabeth because it's classic. However both a good names.

Elizabeth 8/10
Yolanda 7/10

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: