Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Trixie or Dolly

(41 Posts)
Zeelove Tue 20-Mar-18 06:57:40

Beatrix (Trixie) or Dorethy/dolores (Dolly)....
Which is nicer? smile

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 20-Mar-18 07:38:17

Trixie.

CocoLoco87 Tue 20-Mar-18 07:38:59

Beatrix

Chathamhouserules Tue 20-Mar-18 07:43:30

Beatrix (bea) nicer for when she's older. I think you should think which name is nicer over the long term as neither trixie or dolly has much longevity in my opinion

ReversingSnail Tue 20-Mar-18 08:17:17

Trixie. Dolly is a toy's name.

pipilangstrumpf Tue 20-Mar-18 08:20:41

Why choose nicknames?

Choose the name you prefer. Names don't always get shortened.

BossWitch Tue 20-Mar-18 08:25:54

I'm ignoring the Trixie/Dolly bit because they are names for toys or pets not people.

Beatrix- great name. Suits a little girl, and a 25-35-45 year old. Not common but not really unusual, so shouldnt be issues with pronunciation or spelling.

Dorothy - very 1950s. Still feels old fashioned, not in a renaissance of old lady 1920s names (Lily, Hazel etc). Pros - not likely to be another one in her class. Cons- she may dislike her old lady name. Shortening is usually Dotty though I think, or Dot.

Dolores - again, very unusual and of a time, I can't help but think Lolita but if you've not read the book you most likely wouldn't make the connection. Feels like it would suit a woman in her 60s but it's a lot of name to live with until then.

ladybirdsaredotty Tue 20-Mar-18 08:38:41

Dorothy is spelt like that, not Dorethy.

DogWoman123 Tue 20-Mar-18 08:40:19

Neither, both really awful. Dolly would likely get them teased from the off at school and Trixie wouldn't be much better.

Zeelove Tue 20-Mar-18 08:45:40

Trixie and Dolly are both nicknames for people. The may be used as pets, but originally they are female nicknames. I see what you mean about names not always being shortened, but we were planning to use the names from the off and keeping the full name for bc like we did with my son.

User27839494 Tue 20-Mar-18 08:47:23

I always wonder if the people who claim children will be bullied in school because of their names spend any time is schools at all?? Kids literally don’t bat an eyelid at others names. There is such a wide variety nowadays Princess Marmite Ferrari could walk in and they would just accept it. Adults are the ones with the issues, not the children.

toomanyweeds Tue 20-Mar-18 08:47:51

Beatrix is great.

Dorothy is fine but I don't like Dolly - too many little girl connotations.

User27839494 Tue 20-Mar-18 08:48:19

Anyway, back to the point. I prefer Trixie, I don’t even think it’s that ‘out there’ either

TempusFugitive Tue 20-Mar-18 08:51:12

Trixie but like others beatrix is better.

Dolly is irresponsible. I hope the registrar forbids it. Never said that before on name board

juneau Tue 20-Mar-18 08:52:31

Dolly is awful - sorry.

I would go with Beatrix (nn. Trixie).

User27839494 Tue 20-Mar-18 08:53:17

Tempus how is Dolly any worse than Teddy? An extremely popular boys name

pipilangstrumpf Tue 20-Mar-18 08:55:14

Dolly sounds ridiculous and cutesy to me, like a little Doll or other toy.

But that's just me opinion and thankfully we all have different tastes smile

MiniTheMinx Tue 20-Mar-18 09:03:19

Trixie and Dolly sound like strippers. Nothing wrong if you're happy with that.

juneau Tue 20-Mar-18 09:05:55

Well if Jordan can call her kid Bunny and Jamie Oliver can call his Bear then I doubt Dolly wouldn't be allowed! In this country you can pick just about anything, as long as it's not offensive or an incitement to hatred or violence.

Zeelove Tue 20-Mar-18 09:15:35

Great, stripper names. Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for hmm. It find it quite amusing that Dolly was the (shortened) name of an old neighbour of mine who died a few years back. She definitely was not a stripper. Maybe they've been out for too long to be classed amongst the Ivy's and the iris's and the Mabel's that there seem to be a lot of?

DogWoman123 Tue 20-Mar-18 09:27:03

I was teased mercilously about my name because it sounds like something else. I think whoever said kids don't do this must have kids at a very nice school, you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think it doesn't go on now.

toomanyweeds Tue 20-Mar-18 09:30:12

TBF there is a Trixie in Deadwood who works as a prostitute be she is ACE and a role model in a number of ways.

deadwood.wikia.com/wiki/Trixie

I still like Beatrix/Trixie smile

User27839494 Tue 20-Mar-18 09:31:38

I actually work in a behaviour school😂 so the complete opposite of a ‘very nice school.’ Sorry if you had a bad experience but children are a lot more accepting of diverse names nowadays, a name is just a name to children, it’s adults that label names ‘stripper names’

Flamingoringo Tue 20-Mar-18 09:32:17

I always wonder if the people who claim children will be bullied in school because of their names spend any time is schools at all??

I agree. I once taught a class with a King David, a Farty and a Sugar. No one said a word.

Beatrix is my choice. It’s what my unborn child was going to be had he been a girl.

BossWitch Tue 20-Mar-18 09:32:48

One of the advantages of asking about baby names online is people will tell you what they actually think. As opposed to real life, when people will smile and now and say 'lovely!' when really they are thinking 'wtf?!'.

You can name your child however you like, but you can't control what people think about that name.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: