Talk

Advanced search

Help me like Amelie again!!

(67 Posts)
Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 14:47:30

I named my daughter who is now 1 Amelie and I no longer like her name...please help me love it again! Please only nice comments sad

MaryPoppinsStoleMyHandbag Fri 02-Mar-18 14:49:24

Why do you no longer like it?

It is a nice name btw smile

helpmum2003 Fri 02-Mar-18 14:49:47

It's a gorgeous name! When did you change your mind? Why don't you like it?

Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 14:52:31

Thanks 😰 Doubt kicked in with people's initial reactions, and still to this day no one gets it right! Amelia, Emily? Or pronounce it wrong! I worry Iv saddled her with a silly name now

RockafellerSkank Fri 02-Mar-18 14:55:22

It's absolutely beautiful, and very popular for good reason.

Do you like any nicknames? Amy, Millie, Mel?

Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 14:57:17

We have just never found a nn she has grown into ..... I don't like milly which is the obvious one xx

FreeNiki Fri 02-Mar-18 15:00:42

I adore it.

Would be one of my first choices

Annabelle4 Fri 02-Mar-18 15:02:22

If I had another dd she would be Amelie. It's a beautiful name OP.

Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 15:04:24

Thanks for reassurance ladies has really helped!!! Xx

Lobsterface Fri 02-Mar-18 15:06:01

I have a 30 year old friend called Amelie, it’s lovely and timeless

Thunderthunderthundercatshooo Fri 02-Mar-18 15:26:33

I kind of feel your pain a little, we named our 2 year old Amelia. I loved the name, my nan's sister was called Amelia and years ago as a teenager I thought I'd love to call one of my children that one day.

The only reason I now (secretly) dislike it is the fact there are so many and the popularity within certain kinds of circles seems to have rocketed. I also didn't factor in how it sounds when people where I live say it too, I shudder when I hear it yelled across the park etc!! Our daughter calls herself "me me" it's starting to stick even though I'd never have chosen to nickname her that, it does suit her.

I do like Amelie though, it's a pretty name and a bit different from the other 10 Amelias who will be in her class at school grin.

Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 15:31:48

Yes I understand what you mean, people cannot pronounce Amelie and I cringe too!! At least Amelia is definitely easier to say! Sometimes I think Amelia would have been a better option X

AnyaMoondial Fri 02-Mar-18 15:38:14

No need to worry ladies, both Amelie and Amelia are ace names smile

BrendasUmbrella Fri 02-Mar-18 15:41:56

You could rewatch the film? smile That should make you like it again!

Sharri1 Fri 02-Mar-18 15:52:53

Amelie is an absolutely beautiful name, and definitely not silly at all! It's girly and pretty, but sensible at the same time, and suits all ages. Good choice! You should definitely fall in love with it all over again! xx

ChocolateCrunch Fri 02-Mar-18 15:53:08

Amelie is a beautiful name. Not overly used - I only know one, aged 10. It has a lovely sound to it, much like Elodie, which is gaining in popularity.

Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 15:54:44

Thankyou everyone!! I wish I never left others put me off in the first place, months of "Emily , no Amelie" has become irritating!!!!

ladybirdsaredotty Fri 02-Mar-18 16:07:59

Ha OP, I have an Elodie and get 'Emily? Melody?' grin Amelie was also on our list, I love it smile

ladybirdsaredotty Fri 02-Mar-18 16:10:16

Also don't forget that people not having babies now don't necessarily have their finger on the baby naming pulse, hence repeating names they are more familiar with. Please don't let it taint your DD's gorgeous name ☺

wibs77 Fri 02-Mar-18 16:24:13

How about melly as a nickname? Amelie is a beautiful name though. I wouldn't worry at all.

Busymummy83 Fri 02-Mar-18 17:06:01

Melly is rather cute smile Thankyou

Annabelle4 Fri 02-Mar-18 17:11:19

Melly could be teased as Smelly.

Really, it's such a beautiful name that I wouldn't do a thing with it

Baubletrouble43 Fri 02-Mar-18 17:14:17

Gorgeous name. Different without being odd. I used to know an Ann-Marie whose family called her Ammie. I think its cute.

pipilangstrumpf Fri 02-Mar-18 17:14:32

I know a few Melanies names Mel or Mellie, I prefer the full name Amelie

CorianderSnell Fri 02-Mar-18 17:38:56

I go in and out of liking my kids names - I think it’s hard saying the same name over and over again, and also hearing lovely new names you hadn’t considered and getting name envy!

When DD was born I got, “oh... is that a family name?” at least a handful of times. hmm That didnt help.

In the end you love your kid and their name is just their name.

And fwiw I think Amelie is gorgeous

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: