Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Unsure of spelling

(83 Posts)
k4rlyb Thu 22-Feb-18 11:29:19

Hi all

Had a gender scan this morning and found out we're expecting a girl.

My BF really likes the name Harry for a girl, but I'm unsure of the best spelling Harri or Harrie?

Any thoughts please? We're not keen on Harriet.

Thanks

Oysterbabe Thu 22-Feb-18 11:31:15

Harrie so it's clearer that it's not a boy. I think you should reconsider Harriet though, people will assume that's her name anyway.

Thurlow Thu 22-Feb-18 11:32:04

I think if you were to spell it any other way than 'Harry' your daughter would have a lifetime of introducing herself as "my name's Harrie, that's Harrie with an IE instead of a Y". It's a common shortening for Harriet so it wouldn't be that unusual to meet a girl called Harry (like Charlie or Georgie) but not spelling it with a Y might be annoying.

k4rlyb Thu 22-Feb-18 11:43:41

I'm Karly with a K, I spent my whole life saying K not a C. That's not the end of the world saying Harrie with an IE.

SoupDragon Thu 22-Feb-18 11:44:09

"my name's Harrie, that's Harrie with an IE instead of a Y"

Followed by “Yes, I know it’s a boy’s name. No, it isn’t short for Harriet.”

strawberrypenguin Thu 22-Feb-18 11:45:01

I’d go with Harriet with Harry as a nickname.

Cosmoa Thu 22-Feb-18 12:28:54

I actually really love it! Yes it's mostly a boys name but unisex names have to come from somewhere/someone starting the 'trend' right?

I really like it spelt Harri (without the e)

Congratulations by the way! I'm having a girl too grin

Cosmoa Thu 22-Feb-18 12:30:10

And as you say, it's not the end of the world having to correct people..

It's a great icebreaker when you have an unusual name smile

BlueChampagne Thu 22-Feb-18 12:58:10

Henrietta?

tinytowtruck Thu 22-Feb-18 13:15:35

I think Harrie is lovely. I agree although it appears similar, I'm really not keen on Harriet but love Harrie!!

GoJohnnyGoGoGoGo Thu 22-Feb-18 13:21:31

Harri is the Welsh version of Harry.

Peach1886 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:22:06

Spell it however you like, your little girl your rules ! I've always loved Henry short for Henrietta, boy names for girls are fab 😊

alphajuliet123 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:24:36

What about Ari?
(short for Arianne / Arienne / Ariadne etc)

pipilangstrumpf Thu 22-Feb-18 14:33:37

Harrie is better for girl.

Thistlebelle Thu 22-Feb-18 14:34:49

People will call her Harriet.

Songofthesouth Thu 22-Feb-18 14:39:52

People won’t call her Harriet as that won’t be her name :/

I would go with Harri (even though it’s welsh male name) I know a Andi who’s a girl. Works for her.

Willswife Thu 22-Feb-18 14:43:13

I like it & I would probably spell it with an ie at the end rather than a y.

I do think though that some children aren't able to carry off an unusual name. Some would with no problem, but my eldest would struggle if people commented on her name all the time and would be upset if someone told her she has a boys name.

BertrandRussell Thu 22-Feb-18 14:43:33

If you wouldn't call a boy Rose don't call a girl Harry. Or Harrie.

GummyGoddess Thu 22-Feb-18 14:47:39

Use it as a nickname. As someone with a uniquely spelt name, I do NOT thank my parents for this. It is a complete PITA and if my mum wouldn't get upset I'd change it to a conventional spelling.

You will give her a lifetime of constant irritation correcting people and explaining her name. She won't be remembered as 'the girl with the quirky name', she'll be remembered as 'the girl with a boys name' or 'the girl called Harry but spelt wrong'.

I am not being mean, I am speaking from first hand experience.

Enidblyton1 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:58:37

I have a name which people often shorten using an i (like Harri). When I was a very tomboyish teenager I much preferred the Y ending (traditionally male ending - like Harry).

I would have been really annoyed with my parents if they had just given me the name with an i ending. It doesn't give any choice for your child.

I have a friend called Harriet who was known as Harry when she was younger and now prefers Harri or Haz or sometimes Hat.

I just think you give more flexibility if you start with a longer name. Let them decide the shortening.

bridgetreilly Thu 22-Feb-18 15:27:33

Hari (with one r) or Harrie. But I'd really think about giving her another name that won't need so much explanation all her life.

Heliophilous Thu 22-Feb-18 15:30:59

Hari is an Indian boys' name so I really don't think that is a good idea at all.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 22-Feb-18 17:54:05

I'd go with Harri.

LoveInTokyo Thu 22-Feb-18 18:32:04

I wouldn’t do this to your kid if I’m honest. If you call her Harriet and she chooses to be Harrie or Harry or Harri then that’s fine. But otherwise, you’re just giving your daughter a boy’s name and not giving her any options if she doesn’t like it.

TulipsInABlueVase Thu 22-Feb-18 18:45:55

I would choose Harrie rather than Harri. As a previous poster wrote, Hari is an Indian boys' name.

But I wouldn't use this name for a girl. You're choosing a boys' name for a girl.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: