Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Babies born 2018

(44 Posts)
Gates Wed 21-Feb-18 10:32:26

Hello. Just joined so hi everyone.

Im not currently expecting but hopefully soon smile Probilly far too early to be thinkig of names but just wondering what recent new babies have been called?

I just keep hearing the same names over and over eg, Theo/Arlo/Edward/Archie girls all seem to be Isabella/Bella etc. Work in a school so all the names seem to be repeated so many times.

Wanting Ideas for when time comes nothing too wacky but nothig too popular. Made the same mistake with my 10 year old 😂

So basically just wanting to know what this years popular ones are so far.

Many thanks

Songofthesouth Wed 21-Feb-18 10:45:51

I hear a lot of Florence and Teddy. Matilda seems to be quite popular too. I know loads of baby Jacks but that’s always been a popular one.

HeyMicky Wed 21-Feb-18 10:48:09

For both of mine, I looked at the full ONS list from the precious year and picked names we liked outside the top 100, and I then checked those against the list of highest climbers.

But remember it will vary from region to region, and they won't always be in a class with 30 kids the same age. Pick a name you like, that works with your surname, doesn't give weird initials and suits both a small child and an adult.

NameChangeDestroyer Wed 21-Feb-18 10:48:54

You probably just want to avoid anything that is currently top 100 (look on ons website). Arlo and Isla are significant risers, but historically, names generally climb up gradually.

Gates Wed 21-Feb-18 10:50:36

Yes Ive seen the name Florence keep popping up on another site. Not that keen although it is a family memebers name (in 80s). Matilda is nice. We have a few Teddys in the younger years in school. Think Jack is always going to be popular. X

Gates Wed 21-Feb-18 10:53:48

Thanks ladies. Well ive got to admit I love the names Francesca/ Georgia for girls. Boys ive no idea 😄

EekThreek Wed 21-Feb-18 11:03:15

I've just had an Erin.

Friend from work had an Aoife the same week. Another friend had a Douglas nn Dougie.

We shared a bay in hospital with a Theo and an Isla.

Those are the only babies I know of so far this year.

Stringofpearls Wed 21-Feb-18 11:26:10

Oliver is continuing to be popular, also Milo seems to be around a lot in the last couple of years.

masktaster Wed 21-Feb-18 11:29:25

Noah, Phoebe, Florence, George, Isabelle/Isabella etc, Oliver - all names I've seen on multiple 2016/7 babies, and not going anywhere popularity wise.

Somehow managed to give DS a name that only 30 ish kids had in 2016 according to ons. It's a real name, just not quite due a comeback yet... Maybe look to eras of names not currently enjoying a renaissance?

IVflytrap Wed 21-Feb-18 12:32:00

Only know two babies born so far this year, both girls: Robin and Sienna.

Babies I know born last year include Ava, Isla, Freya, Scarlett, Summer, Luke, Charlie, Henry and Xavier.

I've still yet to meet any Olivers or Olivias.

Amelia, all the Isabel variants, all the Eve variants, Teddy and George seem to be more popular for slightly older children, say 3 and over.

Dixiestampsagain Wed 21-Feb-18 14:21:23

The two last babies I know were called Harry and Seren.

KatnissK Wed 21-Feb-18 14:30:55

I know of a Felix born this year.
Last year I knew lots of people who had babies (me included): Arthur, George, Alice, Scarlett, Melanie, Isaac, Arlo, Freya, Eloise, Stanley, Florence, Lily, Daphne, Elsie, Antonia, Sophie and Maggie.

Gates Wed 21-Feb-18 16:24:51

Ooh thanks a mixed bunch. Must say school I work at we are over run with Olivers.

Love the name Antonia not heard of much might have to add that to list. I personally just dont like any boys names how is that possible? Knew with my son straight away. Problem I have though is Ive had 2 miscarriages a few years ago now but had names planned out for both of them so want to avoid them as much as I like them x

Sophronia Wed 21-Feb-18 18:14:49

The two I know of born this year are Wilfred and Olivia.

happytobemrsg Wed 21-Feb-18 18:19:24

DS' name is in the top 5. Unfortunately it was the only one we could agree on. As you work in a school it'll be so hard to choose a name - you'll associate all the nice names with students you don't like!

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Wed 21-Feb-18 18:20:14

So far this year: Edward, Selene, Sabrina and Clara.

ErrantBakedBean Wed 21-Feb-18 18:35:57

This year and last year I've seen an India, a Seraphina, a Theodore/Ted, a Harrison, a Louis and an Izzy.

LittleBlueFish Wed 21-Feb-18 19:48:56

Babies I know of born this year:
Edith
Harper
Mei
Oliver
Alexander

deptfordgirl Wed 21-Feb-18 19:57:16

Definitely look at the ONS list from last year, it doesn't change much from year to year so you can get a good idea of what's popular. Anecdotally, I go to a lot of baby groups and the names which I have encountered multiple times have been: Theo, Teddy, Charlie, Noah, Jude, Ezra and Matilda, Grace, Sophie, Olivia.

MikeUniformMike Wed 21-Feb-18 20:10:26

Keep looking at Baby Names. If they keep recurring in suggested names, they are probably more popular than you think.
Look at name charts or charts from years ago. Some of the very popular names then will be getting unfashionable.
Are any babies called Shannon and Jordan these days?
Avoid names that are linked to TV shows or films, sportspeople and celebrities unless they are classic names.
I would avoid names from a different country/language or culture too, because you run the risk of them causing spelling or pronunciation issues.

EekThreek Wed 21-Feb-18 20:43:33

I can add Stanley to my list, found out about him today.

I know 4 Olivias turning 8 this year (DD1s age), and 2 Olivers the same year.

I haven't met any Olivia/Olivers age 3 (DS's age) or under - they've really dropped off the charts in my circles. There are multiple Elliots and Amelias though.

littlebillie Wed 21-Feb-18 21:38:36

Congratulations but no idea 💐

Gates Wed 21-Feb-18 23:31:46

Ive just heard of an Oscar been born few of them around aswell at moment.

Whats opinions on Caleb?

Grimmfebruary Wed 21-Feb-18 23:36:35

Celeb is quite common where I am. And variants of it. Calem, etc. Also both spelled with a K. Lots of Leo and Leon’s around here too.

We’ve just had a Jesse and we’ve had a massive mixed response to that.

deptfordgirl Thu 22-Feb-18 00:13:00

I love Caleb and don't know any.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: