Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Twin name help!

(107 Posts)
TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 17:32:20

Hi! Our twin girls could make an appearance anyday now and we are still struggling on finalising their names! I've posted on a couple of other sites but we need all the help we can get lol.

We will be naming one of our girls Violet but we're still undecided on her sister's name. It will either be Darcey/Darcy or Penelope. Nicknames will be LettY (Violet), Cece (Darcey) and Penny or Poppy (Penelope)

We then have these full name options to chose from...

Violet Cecilia Terese & Penelope Margot Kate, Penelope Beatrix Kate or Penelope Winter Kate

Violet Cecilia Kate & Penelope Hazel Terese

Violet Penelope Kate & Darcey Ophelia Terese

Violet Penelope Terese & Darcey Aurora Kate or Darcey Aurora Caitlin

Which do you prefer; Darcey or Penelope? Also, which full names would you go with? We're not wanting matchy names for our girls but we would prefer for them to sound nice together and be similar in style.

A bit of background: We're using two middle names; one of our choice and our honor names, Kate and Terese. Using two middle names is set. Our surname is short, one syllable and begins with Y. Our surname has been very difficult to work with! We had settled on Violet and Aurora for first names since finding out we were having two girls, we then realised Aurora sounded awful with our surname. We then went through a very long list of potential names and decided on Cecilia to again have to give it up because of our surname. That left us with Penelope which we love and couldn't imagine not using somewhere now. Losing Cecilia, with the nickname Cece, was really tough however so we decided to play around with our other options and decided to either use it as Violet's middle name or debated using Felicity (Cici) or Darcey instead of Penelope. We recently gave up Felicity as it didn't work for us and with our other options. Ophelia is the middle name we always thought we'd use with Violet but bumped it for Cecilia when we couldn't use it as a first.

Sorry for that long winded post! Thank you so much for all your help.

Isadora2007 Tue 20-Feb-18 17:38:52

Hmmmm.

Firstly I wonder why you’re agonising over names that you’ve also got chosen nicknames for that you love as well. To me the name Poppy is very different from Penelope and I also feel the extra nicknames and middle names etc are just so very busy and full on.

Whilst I applaud the twin names not being similar, I worry you’ve lost sight of choosing girls names that you actually like just the way they are and have focussed too much on nicknames. Once you name a child and they’re known as that (whether it’s a nickname or given name) that will probably be what they’re known as. So if you like Cece just go with Cece... not Darcey known as Cece or Penelope known as Poppy and Violet known as Letty...

It’s all a bit Showy.

Tretchikoff Tue 20-Feb-18 17:41:42

Lovely names OP just not sure about three names for each. It seems fussy to me.
I believe that Nicole Richie's daughter is Harlow Winter Kate.

Songofthesouth Tue 20-Feb-18 17:45:53

I have to admit took me ages to get my head around your post!
Violet Cecilia Kate and Penelope Hazel Terese.
I like Letty but my chosen nn preference for Penelope would be Nell. Don’t like Poppy as a diminutive.

Darcey is not in the same league as Violet.

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 18:00:16

Honestly, I did agree about the Poppy nickname at first but it was suggested to me many times on another site so I just assumed it was a popular choice. Penny is as an option because we're not 100% sold on Poppy.

It's not that we're choosing names based on there nicknames. We love Cecilia but couldn't use it, we had Felicity and Darcey as other options on our list so played around with them because of that similarity and liked what we came up with. We had a huge list of names after not being able to use our first choice and these are what we reduced them to.

We've picked names we love and the nicknames we love to go with them. We aren't going to never use their actual names. I simply just added the nickname information to my post. Nothing showy

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 18:04:14

Poppy was just suggested to me. The only nickname we liked was Penny so I asked for suggestions on another site. It came up a few times, we liked it so kept it as an option. It's not a major deal to lose it. We'll use nicknames but getting a full first name we love is priority.

Cosmoa Tue 20-Feb-18 18:05:26

I don't like Darcy (I think of Mr Darcy) and I think Penelope is gorgeous and underused do definitely Penelope! (although I will say I love the nn Cece)

Penelope Winter Kate is beautiful...

And I think Violet Aurora/Ophelia Terese would be lovely with it! (not that it was an option...)

HotCrossBunFight Tue 20-Feb-18 18:05:57

One of my twins in Penelope. I call her Pops. Its a lovely, lovely name!

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 18:07:45

We're happy with 2 middles. Our surname is very short and it's very rare that all 4 names will be said out loud together. I know people who have 2 or have given their children to who haven't had any issue. If we were just having one, they'd have 2 to honor both sides of the family, we just decided to stick with that decision and spilt to honor names to one each.

KatnissK Tue 20-Feb-18 18:08:55

I prefer Darcey to Penelope.
I would go with Darcey Aurora Kate and Violet Penelope Terese.
Violet is a lovely choice!

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 18:11:10

Thank you.

Those two have been options but we want to keep Cecilia and use it somewhere . If we went with Darcy/Darcey then we wouldn't because it feels too matchy. It's one of the reasons why I included what nicknames we'd use in my post lol.

HotCrossBunFight Tue 20-Feb-18 18:12:54

She's actually Penelope Cecelia so I very much approve of your taste in names!

Pittcuecothecookbook Tue 20-Feb-18 18:15:28

Wow, I'm struggling to name my 1 baby girl and you've 6 names!

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 18:16:34

Gorgeous name! I think we have had Violet Ophelia Terese and Penelope Cecilia Kate as option along the way lol.

Pittcuecothecookbook Tue 20-Feb-18 18:16:56

Scratch that, 13 names! Also, what's an honor name?

They all seem a little OTT to me but then I have a shortened name as my first name and no middle name to speak of at all!

LoveB Tue 20-Feb-18 18:22:03

Violet Penelope Kate and Darcey Ophelia Terese

Lovely!

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 18:23:40

As I've said two middles is a set decision. It's fine if people wouldn't personally do it but we are. Kate and Terese are their grandmas' names, well variants of.

KnockMeDown Tue 20-Feb-18 18:29:16

I think Violet nn Letty and Penelope nn Poppy are fab - cute for when they are little and great grown-up names to.

KnockMeDown Tue 20-Feb-18 18:32:59

I also think that using their grandmother's names as middle names is a lovely thing. The other middle names are a matter of personal preference.

MikeUniformMike Tue 20-Feb-18 20:27:53

Penelope and Violet. aka Penny and Letty. Ditch the third middle names.
Darcey/Darcy/Darcie is awful.

Use Kate and Terese as middle names.
Penelope Kate Surname and Violet Terese Surname look much prettier than the other strings of long middle names.

mathanxiety Tue 20-Feb-18 20:33:15

I hate Darcey. It's got 'arse' in the middle. Arsey is a much more likely nn than Cece.

I thought when I read your first paragraph that Violet and Cecelia would be a lovely twin set, especially as you intend to use the nn Cece.

If you don't want to use Cecelia as a first name then I would choose Penelope.

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 20:35:49

Again, we're using two middle names. This is set and not what I'm looking for opinions on. Looking pretty when written down isn't a priority for us.

TillyLucille Tue 20-Feb-18 20:41:13

We can't use Cecilia as a first name as it doesn't work with our surname. It would be first name if it did.

My mind would have never gone there with Darcy/Darcey. I think we're likely to stick with Penelop. I was more so looking for opinions on Darcey so that's something to consider. These are relatively new combos that we've thought of. They allow us to use more of our favorite names, it's a brainstorm more than anything.

HotCrossBunFight Tue 20-Feb-18 20:41:42

I don't get all the middle name hate!

MikeUniformMike Tue 20-Feb-18 20:42:06

No, but it won't be you living with the names.
Call them whatever you like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: