Talk

Advanced search

Boy names - opinions please!

(51 Posts)
MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 14:51:26

We’re finding it hard to come up with a boys name. Front runner is Huw/Hugh (hubby half welsh but we live in England). Then Frederick as middle name after my grandad. Trying to find something below top 50 names past few years ideally. Other options are:

Arthur
Griff
Freddie/Frederick as first name
Ari
Albert/Albie
Heath
Leonard/Lennie
Rupert

But hubby doesn’t like a fair few of them.
Main concern is whenever I tell anyone we’re thinking of Huw, I never get a ‘oooh that’s lovely’ kind of response 😬!

upsideup Tue 20-Feb-18 14:55:00

I like either Freddie/Frederick or Albert/Albie the most.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Tue 20-Feb-18 14:56:50

I really like Hugh/Huw and prefer it to the others on your shortlist

It suits a boy or grown man equally and no confusion with pronunciation

I wouldn't ask people IRL for their opinion

flybabyfly Tue 20-Feb-18 14:57:38

I really like Huw Frederick! I also think Arthur and Freddie/Frederick are lovely.

HelloBrass Tue 20-Feb-18 15:04:52

I love Huw! I think it would be lovely to have a nod to your dh's Welsh side.

That's why I don't discuss possible names with anyone else - I don't want the magic to be spoilt! I'm sure everyone will like what you choose.

TulipsInABlueVase Tue 20-Feb-18 15:06:10

Hugh is nice but a bit dull, sharp sounding. Huw looks made up (I'm aware that it probably isn't). I would go with the Hugh spelling.

Out of the others, I like Albert, Heath and Leonard.

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 20-Feb-18 15:22:53

Huw isn't made up. It is a lovely name Op, much nicer than the others.

polkydot Tue 20-Feb-18 16:00:07

My 11 month old is called Hugh, and it has grown and grown on me since we had him. It was more my husband’s choice, after our first was more mine. It’s a lovely, classic name, not overused and not easy to shorten.

I also like Griffith/Griffin but was vetoed - great name though!

Thistlebelle Tue 20-Feb-18 16:01:49

I think Hugh is a great name, we would have used it but unfortunately it doesn’t go with our surname.

MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 16:05:17

Good to hear from a Hugh namer! I thought for a single syllable name It’s actually quite soft, which I like, whereas Griff could sound harsher maybe, but I do love it too. Hub or not so much though.

mistermagpie Tue 20-Feb-18 16:07:19

I know a little Hughie, which is very cute on a baby. That's his actual name though and I think they should have for Hugh, which seems more fitting on an adult. I like it though, and like Hugo too.

MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 16:10:02

If Freddie weren’t so popular at the mo I’d be keener, but it’s aroind number 15 in most lists so two per school class. I’m an Amy and there were lots of others with my name at school, so I think that’s made me as keen as I am to find something slightly less popular. Albert not too high up the rankings though...

Duckies Tue 20-Feb-18 16:10:37

Huw is lovely and do embrace the Welsh spelling! I actually think of it as a different name to Hugh, even though that is clearly not the case!

MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 16:10:59

Thanks Maiden :-)

MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 16:13:06

I think Arthur is so lovely, but hear it as something different (someone told me this once and it spoilt it for me!) I don’t want to write it though & spoil it for anyone else!

LovelyBranches Tue 20-Feb-18 16:14:35

I am Welsh and I think Huw is a classic.

I know a baby Griff and I still haven’t got used to it. It’s too harsh sounding. I like Macsen which can be shortened to Max and I think that Huw Macsen sounds like a really strong name.

HelloBrass Tue 20-Feb-18 16:21:29

How has Arthur been spoilt? (it's on my list...)

Jammycustard Tue 20-Feb-18 16:23:03

Like Huw a lot

Brittanyspears Tue 20-Feb-18 16:25:58

Hugh or Huw is great. I know 5 freddies under 5.

Badgoushk Tue 20-Feb-18 16:27:48

What about Hugo?

I love Arthur! Best boys name in the world (I have 2 wonderful DD so never got to use it).

TeaCoffeeCakeGinWine Tue 20-Feb-18 16:28:52

Arthur has a nice nod to Wales too.. King Arthur.. that’s who ours is named after. I like Huw too.

17caterpillars1mouse Tue 20-Feb-18 16:28:58

I like Hugh. I know a 2 year old Hugh and a 1 year old Hughie

FogCutter Tue 20-Feb-18 16:32:06

I don't like Huw at all I'm afraid.

Of your list I like Frederick and Griff.

Other Welsh-ish names we considered for DS were

Cai
Nye/ Aneirin
Ianto or iestyn
Taliesin
Luc

MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 16:42:14

HelloBrass it’s nothing seedy/horrible - just a bit silly. Definitely nothing to stop you using such a lovely name. Can say if you like though!

MarmitePhil Tue 20-Feb-18 16:44:27

Badgoush Hugo is nice, I know one Hugo though & again it is fairly popular. Not so much of a problem as with Freddie though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: