Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

I've done something awful

(87 Posts)
Jux Sat 17-Feb-18 18:40:36

My cousin (many years younger than I) has had her 2nd baby, a boy. While she was pg, I had joked that she could call a boy Harbottle - this is something I occasionally suggest on threads here.

This is what she has decided on. blush She has sent me a thank you card for suggesting the name, and the invitation to the christening confirms the name. I have rung various other cousins, expecting to be laughed out of court for taking it seriously, but they all confirm it too.

I guess there is nothing much I can do, except hope that it's an elaborate joke at my expense and I shall not discover the true name until the priest says it at the ceremony.

The middle name is to be Barrington. I am between laughter and tears! The poor little mite wouldn't have a chance at a comp, but perhaps luckily will be going somewhere like Eton. Maybe it'll be normal there?

Whisky2014 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:42:30

I don't get it. Harbottle? What does it mean?

BlackberryandNettle Sat 17-Feb-18 18:43:49

Oh no... It is a bit bizarre. Sounds weirdly ok with the surname although pretty posh in the ridiculous posh name way. I'm assuming you made it up as a joke? Or is it an actual name?

Littlepond Sat 17-Feb-18 18:44:19

What? What is Harbottle?

Thistlebelle Sat 17-Feb-18 18:44:45

It’s ok, he’ll become Harry very quickly. (That or Botty)

Could have been worse, could have been Huckleberry...

peachypetite Sat 17-Feb-18 18:44:55

🤔

Snowydaysarehere Sat 17-Feb-18 18:45:05

Like a mix of Haribo and Cola bottle??

BlackberryandNettle Sat 17-Feb-18 18:46:30

I should think he'll start going by Harry/Barrington

BlackberryandNettle Sat 17-Feb-18 18:46:59

Btw if this is true it's pretty outing

MadisonAvenue Sat 17-Feb-18 18:47:00

Wasn't Harbottle the cute little hamster who used to be on a range of greeting cards?

Laquila Sat 17-Feb-18 18:50:11

Tbh it’s not really you who’s done something awful, is it? It’s your cousin.

Snowydaysarehere Sat 17-Feb-18 18:53:28

Maybe the effects of the gas /air /drugs haven't worn off yet??

AfterSchoolWorry Sat 17-Feb-18 18:56:21

Yeah. She's having you on.

Biscusting Sat 17-Feb-18 19:06:27

The more I say it in my head the cuter it sounds 😂

Maybe it’ll be shortened to Harb, Harby, bottley, <clutches at straws>

Jux Sat 17-Feb-18 19:07:42

Harbottle is an actual name, or it was in Elizabethan times, several centuries ago. Yes they are bloody posh so maybe it's not so bad.

The middle name will apparently be Barrington, that's not the surname. There will be a few other names as well - about 4 more, all family names - but the surname is not particularly strange or posh.

Jux Sat 17-Feb-18 19:09:00

If he goes to the sort of schools his big sister goes to, he'll be known mainly by his surname I suppose, or is that just in secondary?

SoupDragon Sat 17-Feb-18 19:09:25

So, his first two names are Harry Barry...?

Jux Sat 17-Feb-18 19:10:18

grin apparently, Soup

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 17-Feb-18 19:15:47

If she suggested she put her hand in the fire would she have taken you up on it.
She's big enough and ugly enough to decide her child's name herself. It's not your blaming or doing

Jux Sat 17-Feb-18 19:25:35

I know, Awww, but it really was a joke when I suggested it, and I'm sure she would never even have heard of it if I hadn't said it. He'd probably have been called Barrington, which he could have shortened to Barry easily, but Harbottle??

Mind you, Harry isn't too bad as a short name (though much of the family would look down on it as aping royalty).

hairylegsdontcare Sat 17-Feb-18 19:30:06

Harbottle Barrington?!?!?!? I'm crying!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 17-Feb-18 19:38:09

It's not fault she took it seriously.

HolyShmoly Sat 17-Feb-18 20:58:38

Suppose it could be worse, it could be Shilbottle. (An area in Durham that I always misread.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 17-Feb-18 21:03:33

Are you sure it isn't just an elaborate joke, at your expense, for being a bit of a smart arse ? 😂⭐️

Rainbowsandflowers78 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:06:25

She’s having you on - surely?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: