Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Spellings for this middle name

(27 Posts)
ExhaustedAndHormonal Thu 15-Feb-18 00:12:57

So we have chosen a first and middle name for out girl but I want to have a diff spelling. So we decided middle name Taylor. But wanted it less unisex if that makes sense so thinking either

Tayla
Taylah

Dp likes it as standard Taylor tho so this will take some convincing hahaha

LilaBlue Thu 15-Feb-18 00:19:25

What's the first name?

Taylor is just like that I think. Tayla isn't quite as bad as Taylah.

SuperBeagle Thu 15-Feb-18 01:08:34

Tayla was dirt common in the 1980s and 1990s here in Australia. I know loads, all with that spelling, none with the correct spelling (Taylor).

It's considered low class here, in general, but the spelling Tayla just takes it to a whole new level.

If you must use the name, spell it Taylor.

missmorleyme Thu 15-Feb-18 01:24:52

My daughters first name is Taylor, i never once thought of using a different spelling. But niw after numerous s from the doctors(reminders for needles and such) and school last week telling me that 'he' has a place in nursery in September. What realygrinds my gears is that her full fisrt name is Taylor May, how many boy Taylors have the name may in the first name? I think its either ignorance or plain stupidity. But i like either, mainly the one without the h.

missmorleyme Thu 15-Feb-18 01:25:46

*numerous calls from

EleanorXx Thu 15-Feb-18 02:00:30

Personally, I'd use Taylor, but of your two choices Tayla is better

Sophronia Thu 15-Feb-18 08:33:26

Taylor

MammieBear Thu 15-Feb-18 08:58:38

Just use Taylor spelling to avoid miss spelling and a life of correcting people.

Redpramlady Thu 15-Feb-18 09:00:41

Taylor, as it's a middle name is less likely to be confused anyways?

LadyPug Thu 15-Feb-18 09:14:58

Taylor is really nice, don’t like all of these alternative spellings

happytobemrsg Thu 15-Feb-18 09:19:14

Agree with PPs - I prefer the original spelling Taylor

fearfultrill Thu 15-Feb-18 09:19:21

Definitely just Taylor. The other two are awful, sorry.

PinkAvocado Thu 15-Feb-18 09:20:21

I prefer Tayla to Taylah. Taylah makes me want to pronounce it Taylarrrrrr

MikeUniformMike Thu 15-Feb-18 09:28:32

Taylor. The other 2 are awful. As it's a surname, it will look like a mother's maiden name used as a middle name similar to Elsie Naylor Smith... . Surely with all the names available you could find something prettier.
You could use Tala, I guess.

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Thu 15-Feb-18 09:31:35

Like Taylor Swift?

MikeUniformMike Thu 15-Feb-18 10:17:41

James May, Brian May and Philip May are men.
Taylor May Morleyme sounds like an accountancy firm.

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 15-Feb-18 11:41:07

Taylor.

GummyGoddess Thu 15-Feb-18 11:59:41

For a middle name it would be fine. If it was a first name you might have issues with the pronunciation, I would probably say tay-LA instead of the usual pronunciation.

I am biased against unique spellings as I have a unique spelling of my (very normal) first name. It is an absolute PITA having to constantly spell it to people. Even work emails which have my name in them still have people typing it incorrectly. I really hate it and would change it if my DM wouldn't get upset.

PuppyMonkey Thu 15-Feb-18 12:02:27

I think you need Teilagh grin

sycamore54321 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:15:30

It's a very specific accent thing. For the way I speak, Taylor and Tayla are completely different names, with only the first syllable in common. i haven't come across Tayla before but it sounds quite nice the way I would say it. For me, your choice is not which way to spell Taylor, but rather whether you want name 1 or name 2.

FogCutter Thu 15-Feb-18 12:21:32

My DC have a Tayla in their class, she is often asked why her name isn't spelled correctly and is always having to correct the spelling for people.

SummerRoberts Thu 15-Feb-18 12:27:27

I'd personally use Taylor. The other spellings are really ugly.

ExhaustedAndHormonal Thu 15-Feb-18 12:40:00

It was just fob a middle name, but yeah the more I think of it the more I think the original is best.
I just didn't want it to look like a double barrelled surname that was all. Xx as Taylor is a common surname.
Dp wins haha

MrsMarigold Thu 15-Feb-18 12:47:06

How about Thalia? it has fewer negative class connotations.

TulipsInABlueVase Thu 15-Feb-18 15:10:10

Taylor or Tayla are both fine. As it's a middle name, I would go with Taylor. Taylor is the more usual spelling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: