Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

He can’t be serious?

(83 Posts)
Shirleytemple55 Sun 11-Feb-18 16:18:26

We are expecting our first dd in 6 weeks and we literally agree on no names, we’ve been together 6 years and rarely argue but this has been a massive issue for us. DH really like the names Asia and India and Paris, he is generally obsessed with naming her after a place or country, I really like Sienna, Paige and Lily. He suggested having one of his names as a first name and one of mine as a middle but they don’t even go together. I said we should have a first and middle name that we both love but now he won’t even talk to me about it? Anyone been through this?

Asiaticlily Sun 11-Feb-18 16:19:44

What about Vienna?

It's a place name - but very similar to Sienna!

Brakebackcyclebot Sun 11-Feb-18 16:20:43

Siena is a place name though 🤔🤔

Thistlebelle Sun 11-Feb-18 16:20:59

Sienna is a place?

BikeRunSki Sun 11-Feb-18 16:21:14

India Lily would be lovely

BertrandRussell Sun 11-Feb-18 16:21:39

Siena is a place name. Sorted.

RavenWings Sun 11-Feb-18 16:28:57

As the others said, Siena does the job. Problem solved.

smargolis Sun 11-Feb-18 16:31:45

Yes, and we ended up compromising by going to the 10th or so down on our lists that was a common choice. But DH's top names were simply a joke (in my view, of course!). Can you maybe try that? You each could try a long list and see where it coincides... The problem is that it might not be a name you both love. Have you considered Florence (a city)? Good luck!

RickOShay Sun 11-Feb-18 16:39:53

What about Savannah?

Zazia Sun 11-Feb-18 17:02:57

Sierra?

FizzyGreenWater Sun 11-Feb-18 17:15:35

He suggested having one of his names as a first name and one of mine as a middle but they don’t even go together.

Are you married with his surname? Then a fairer way to do it would be YOUR choice of first name, HIS of middle.

Sienna India is ok.
Lily India also ok.

I said we should have a first and middle name that we both love but now he won’t even talk to me about it? If he's going to be a silly sulky pot, then go ahead with what you want.

However I have to say of all the combos I like India Lily the best!

daisypond Sun 11-Feb-18 17:23:24

How do you think "Asia" for example, might feel if she goes to school with children who are actually from Asia? Or later if she goes to work with people from Asia?

MammieBear Sun 11-Feb-18 17:24:04

Sienna is a place name so your sorted, and Lily is good as a middle.

TidyDancer Sun 11-Feb-18 18:16:34

I know four siblings all with geographical names (two boys, two girls) and I think it's a bit ridiculous when it turns into a naming theme in a family. One is probably okay though! Siena is a lovely name if you went with that.

FizzyGreenWater Sun 11-Feb-18 18:19:13

Maybe the place name obsession could be assuaged in another way?

Start calling your DH 'Wolf' and when he asks why, say you're giving him the honorary family name of Wolverhampton - Wolf or Wolfie for short grin

Then call your DD something normal instead.

FartnissEverbeans Sun 11-Feb-18 18:42:54

India is a lovely name I think, but I very much agree that you both have to love it.

Sienna seems like a good compromise!

Adelaide
Florence
Madison
Sierra
Georgia

MiniAlphaBravo Sun 11-Feb-18 18:45:22

You don't have to give in to him! Siena might work but you have to love it, it's not just up to him. Asia and Paris are terrible! You're the one giving birth so you should have final say in my book.

Zaya71 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:03:26

A lot of lovely place names mentioned above. I love Savannah. Is it just any place he wants to name her after, or somewhere with significance? If the latter, could you find something similar to it? My BIL is originally from San Francisco and my niece is named Francesca as a nod to that.

Shirleytemple55 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:05:57

Ok so apparently he hates the name Sienna but wants me to consider Atlanta🙄 (I think he’s just trying to annoy me now). We are married but I actually kept my own surname but I’m thinking of changing it when the baby comes so we all have the same name. Asiaticlily I do kind of like Vienna - what does everyone else think of Vienna?

BertrandRussell Sun 11-Feb-18 20:11:12

Don’t change your name!

Just hyphenate the baby.

Vienna- she will have a lifetime of “oh, were you born there?” Very tedious.

Adelaide? Florence?

PaperdollCartoon Sun 11-Feb-18 20:14:39

I quite like India, it does seem to stand alone as a name for some reason. Vienna doesn’t work for me I’m afraid. Georgia? How about Romily (Rome) or Florence? Why his obsession with place names?

TheChineseChicken Sun 11-Feb-18 20:15:13

Giorgia?

TheChineseChicken Sun 11-Feb-18 20:15:41

Oh, Romily is fab

daisypond Sun 11-Feb-18 20:17:25

I know an Atlanta - named after the Atlantic, not the US city. I actually think that's OK.

floriad Sun 11-Feb-18 20:18:50

Ravenna, Florence, Geneva, Genova, Andria, Aprilia, Vittoria, Merida, Falera, Adelaide, Venezia, Valencia, Carolina, Arizona, Georgia, Catalina, Caledonia?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: