Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Boys’ names. Top 100 it is (sigh)

(33 Posts)
Maplessglobe Sat 10-Feb-18 09:11:43

Having difficulty with boys’ names.
DH and I agree on very little. We are from very mixed heritage and have discounted a lot of names based on the fact they either sound odd/rude in various languages we speak or doesn’t go with our surname.

I like Nico, short for Domenico, Elisha, Mateo, Joel, Rafael, Robin, Simeon, Alexander

He likes Sebastian, Rocco, Pablo, Athanasius (!!)

We both like Leo but this, along with Sebastian is getting very popular. Which is not a problem in itself, but I’d rather not call my child something that might date.

We also both like Micah but think this would constantly get ‘Michael?’ And someone said to me, ‘isn’t that a girl’s name?’

I prefer names with nice meanings, he just cares about the sound, sometimes the namesake.

I feel like I’ve looked at baby name lists forever. I don’t think we’ll agree, eventually it’ll be a compromise of some sort. So should I just suck up that my kid might have the same name as many others? I suppose it doesn’t matter really, does it?

floriad Sat 10-Feb-18 12:13:10

Names in the top 100 aren't as popular as they used to be. Or no, that's the wrong term. They're obviously still popular but they tend to be used less often than a name with the same rank used to be. (I hope that makes sense... I've never tried to explain statistics in English.)

A child named Michael (ranked 80, dropping in popularity) probaly won't be one of "many" Michaels.

I'm not sure what you'd classifiy as a nice meaning (seeing as this is very personal and subjective but you might also like:

Nathaniel (no recent popularity spikes, 129th)
Alfred (111th)
Leon (92th)
Frederick (76th)
David (43rd, a bit more popular but a lovely meaning imo)
Anton (212th)
Matthias (really not popular)

I really like Micah, btw.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 10-Feb-18 12:20:46

I like Mateo and Rocco, also love Pablo.

Pinkywoo Sat 10-Feb-18 12:31:59

What about Aurelio, with Lio/Leo for short?

Mrsknackered Sat 10-Feb-18 13:03:05

I love Micah!

Nathaniel is a good shout

Mrsknackered Sat 10-Feb-18 13:03:47

Posted too early, what about:

Leonidas (Leo)
Roman
Silas

MikeUniformMike Sat 10-Feb-18 14:55:06

Pablo is good. Mateo is good too. I don't like Sebastian.

lovelyjubilly Sat 10-Feb-18 15:03:37

How about Rico?

Maplessglobe Sat 10-Feb-18 15:19:37

Thanks everyone.
@floriad that makes sense, thank you. It probably doesn’t matter that much. Second child had an extremely uncommon name when born (well out of top 100) but now is one of two in the class.

Matthias is one I liked a lot but struck off my list because of the face that DH made.

Nice to see there’s a bit of love for some of these choices.

Nathaniel I really like but we know a little one whose parents were very happy he was ‘unique’ so don’t feel we can go for this.

Leonidas I wrote down but eventually crossed out as I think is a little fussy.

I liked Silas but DH countered with Cyrus and, I don’t know, it seems like an old man name.

Don’t like Frederick or Alfred.

Leon also a possibility but I just thought I preferred the sound of Leo.

Rico DH originally liked but then said it reminded him of the RICO act in the US.

Interesting people like Pablo. I initially thought Neruda, DH thought Picasso, and then my sister ruined it all by saying, ‘my first thought is Escobar....’

MikeUniformMike Sat 10-Feb-18 15:23:54

I like Leo a lot. Leon is not as nice.
Matthias is nice but in the UK, it will be "Math-eye-us" not Mat-ee-as.
Pablo will always be Picasso for me.

Halebeke425 Sat 10-Feb-18 15:26:38

Micah is a great name for a boy. If you both like it that's a good start!

I also like Rafael, Silas and Leo from your list. You have a good selection of possibilities there, why not wait now for baby to arrive and see what 'feels right' when you see them. That's what I usually do, have a list of possibles then see what baby looks like before deciding.

TheLegendOfBeans Sat 10-Feb-18 16:08:11

Micah is a boy's name!

May I ask what your heritage is? Just because I urge caution as some names have really negative meanings in some faiths. We nearly called our son after some horrid man in the Torah.

pipilangstrumpf Sat 10-Feb-18 16:10:17

Micah is lovely and not too common

BikeRunSki Sat 10-Feb-18 16:15:34

Leonardo?

loveisenough Sat 10-Feb-18 16:18:02

I really like Pablo too, I know of only one Pablo who is an adult.

Maplessglobe Sat 10-Feb-18 18:44:07

Thanks all. Am surprised people like Pablo! Maybe I will warm back to it.

*legend- I know! A minor prophet. But apparently it ‘sounds girly’ hmm
Our heritage is mixed, with Italian, French, North African, Greek. Am trying to be careful about avoiding difficult meanings in other languages!

happytobemrsg Sat 10-Feb-18 18:48:12

The ONLY boy name we could agree on was Noah. This was before we knew how crazy popular it was. Unfortunately it was the only name we loved. I have yet to meet another Noah through friends, family or baby groups though I'm sure there will be a few in his school. Everyone tells me how lovely the babe is so that's a plus. I guess what I'm saying is if you truly love the name then I'd go for it. My name was super popular (3 in my year group) & it was annoying but fine.

happytobemrsg Sat 10-Feb-18 18:49:37

BTW of the names you've mentioned I really like Michah. I mentioned it to DH but it is the name of a footballer he doesn't like so he vetoed it hmm

RaindropsAndSparkles Sat 10-Feb-18 18:57:45

Guy
Gawain
Merlin
Zak
Maxim
Felix
........John
Caspar
Tobin/Tobias

deptfordgirl Sat 10-Feb-18 19:35:01

Micah is lovely. Very few people would think it was a girls name or Michael.

delilabell Sat 10-Feb-18 19:40:34

There's a cbeebies programme at mo called Pablo (which we watch all the live long day) I don't know if that changes your opinion or might change the popularity??
I like Rocco and Rafael (Rafe)

KarineAimee Sat 10-Feb-18 20:40:08

Micah is lovely.

How about Lorenzo? I know a fabulous teenage Enzo. Gorgeous name x

RaindropsAndSparkles Sat 10-Feb-18 20:44:49

Surely Micah comes with a lollipop.

Maplessglobe Sat 10-Feb-18 21:06:28

Thanks, happy, you’re right, we should just choose what we love. I love Noah too btw but have a family member with this name.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Felix, Caspar, Tobias, Maxim and Enzo (and its various root names) were all suggested by me previously and vetoed by DH.

delilah did not know that. Is it a human boy or an animal/cartoon?

raindrops enlighten me; I don’t get the lollipop reference.

Buxbaum Sat 10-Feb-18 21:20:11

I like Micah too. How about Malachi?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: