Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

James as first name and Jonathan as middle name?

(17 Posts)
bluebabydinosaur Fri 09-Feb-18 10:33:55

Do James and Jonathan work together as a first and middle name? I think they do apart from they both start with a J - does this matter? Many thanks

SlimeSlimeEverywhere Fri 09-Feb-18 10:35:31

I like it. Nice and traditional. He could be JJ as a nickname if he wants.

AvoidingDM Fri 09-Feb-18 10:37:50

Jonathan James sounds better than James Jonathan.
No issue with the two J's although he night end up as JJ!

HandbagKrabby Fri 09-Feb-18 10:41:09

Jonathan James was a discount shoe shop chain in Yorkshire in the 90s - I loved it! I like JJ

GU24Mum Fri 09-Feb-18 10:41:27

I think it's fine as actually you won't ever call him James Jonathan - he'll presumably either be James (most of the time), James Surname a bit, James Jonathan Surname very occasionally if he has to say his full name or JJ (or something else completely) for short.

MammieBear Fri 09-Feb-18 10:47:39

Not at all gives you the Nn JJ as well quite cute, also sound good together no one uses or says middle names day to day so your fine.

happytobemrsg Fri 09-Feb-18 10:50:10

I like JJ!

PassTheAfterEights Fri 09-Feb-18 10:56:54

Not the same but I know a couple of Jonathan Joseph's who go by Jonjo now - and I really like it! Another vote for JJ.

MistressDeeCee Fri 09-Feb-18 11:37:27

He'll end up being called Jimmy John or JJ anyway. I don't know a single James who is called by his name especially from young teen to adult years, unless he is on TV. This thread has made me realise I have a work friend I've got close to, her son is JJ he's 25..I don't even know his real name. He's just JJ everyone calls him that. I'm curious now

TheCatsPaws Fri 09-Feb-18 14:12:04

I have a friend called James who is James. Not Jim or anything else, we are in our early twenties.

Jonathan James goes better but either order is okay

mimibunz Fri 09-Feb-18 14:14:27

I know a James Julian who gets called JJ

Christmastits Fri 09-Feb-18 14:14:57

My husband is Jonathan James or JJ

Marmite27 Fri 09-Feb-18 14:15:56

Was going to say the same about the shoe shop grin

floriad Fri 09-Feb-18 14:25:55

I prefer Jonathan James but James Jonathan is also nice.

As long as your surname doesn't start with a J as well. James Jonathan "Jenkins" would be a bit too much imo...

SadieHufflepuff Fri 09-Feb-18 14:32:19

I think they work together well but I personally wouldn't use them together because of the shoe shop!

NotAnotherEmma Fri 09-Feb-18 17:39:41

I like James. But 2 JJ's can earn the JJ nickname as others said.

JumpingFrogs Fri 09-Feb-18 22:43:41

JJ nickname is nice but my teenage son is Joseph John and no one has ever called him JJ !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: