Talk

Advanced search

Help

(30 Posts)
Saz626 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:00:54

I'm starting to panic a bit now. I'm 39 weeks tomorrow and we still don't even have a short list of baby names we both like. I'm worried we'll wind up just picking a name for the sake of it because our time is up. We know we're having a boy. I like a traditional name but not ones that are overly used and overly popular. We like a strong name too. Any we have liked have already been taken by family/friends. Any suggestions mumsnetters? Some examples of ones we liked but were taken or are just too popular,

Oliver
Charlie
Thomas
Joshua
Edward (NN Teddy)

We do like maximus too which isn't taken but whenever we mention this to family or friends it gets laughed at a bit, people don't realise they can give too much of an opinion clearly.

lovelyjubilly Thu 08-Feb-18 18:06:34

Samuel?
Benjamin?
William?
George?

ChocolateCrunch Thu 08-Feb-18 18:09:51

Magnus
Hamish
Leo/Leon
Alexander

Meemzinha Thu 08-Feb-18 18:10:24

Maximus is a lovely name! Once you choose it people would stop laughing.. People are less rude/honest once the name is chosen and the child is born.

Saz626 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:11:15

@lovelyjubilly thank you for responding! My step daughter is called Samantha, NN Sammy so I feel Samuel is too close to that. Love all of the others but they are all taken by family or friends.

Saz626 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:14:01

@ChocolateCrunch not keen on magnus and hamish, feels a bit too traditional Scottish for us. Leo is lovely and Alexander is too. Thank you.

Saz626 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:17:54

@Meemzinha we do both really like Maximus and feel if he's anything like his dad then it'll suit him to a t. We know he would wind up being called Max for short but we like that too so it's fine. Just can't shake people's initial reactions to it. I don't mind people expressing an opinion but I think it can be done better.

Meemzinha Thu 08-Feb-18 18:30:47

@Saz626 I know what you mean but you don't want to end up regretting it down the line... I imagine the regret would be a stronger feeling than the sneers you have had!

We had Aurelius as a name for our baby!! I imagine that would have gotten some odd reactions. But we're have a girl.. So she is getting a Hawai'in name that means a lot to us. Some people think it's weird to do that as we don't have any family links to Hawaii but I know I'll regret it if we don't use it.

There's been names I don't like until a friend or family member use it.. Then suddenly I like it because I love the child! smile

Maximus fits perfectly with what your after. Strong classic name but not too popular like Alexander or Oliver... (probably because you have to be a little braver to use it)

MikeUniformMike Thu 08-Feb-18 18:35:45

I vote for Maximus.

LoveB Thu 08-Feb-18 18:38:20

Go with Maximus! People sneered at my DDs name (there's nothing wrong with it). Someone's always going to sneer. Max is lovely!

AnyaMoondial Thu 08-Feb-18 18:42:11

Maxwell is also lovely nn max.

IVflytrap Thu 08-Feb-18 18:43:16

Maxwell
Maximilian
Macsen
Marcus
Owen
Eric
Elliot
Lewis
Jasper
Robert
Frederick

FlipflopFifi Thu 08-Feb-18 18:53:45

Andrew
Edmund
Jonathan
Richard

Ickyockycocky Thu 08-Feb-18 18:54:45

Jonah

strawberrypenguin Thu 08-Feb-18 18:59:13

Maximus is lovely. Other ideas Robert, Daniel, Oscar, Stephen, Richard

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 08-Feb-18 19:01:53

Maximus Robert

Just introduce your new baby son as Max if people are dickheads. Congratulations on your baby flowers

17caterpillars1mouse Thu 08-Feb-18 19:09:27

What about Nicholas? A classic but not overly popular with a few nn options

17caterpillars1mouse Thu 08-Feb-18 19:09:53

Or Dominic?

Saz626 Thu 08-Feb-18 19:17:35

Thank you everyone for your input on Maximus and for the name suggestions. I guess I should just brush people's opinions off my shoulders and get on with calling him whatever we like. It's just difficult to do and I'd hate to pick a name that would make him subject to any negative comments

LynetteScavo Thu 08-Feb-18 21:05:25

What's wrong with Maximus?

He'll get called Max anyway.

It's hardly "out there"

LynetteScavo Thu 08-Feb-18 21:06:58

Don't panic...have a few names lined up, then look at him when he's born. He might look like a Teddy. smile

PeasAndHarmony Thu 08-Feb-18 21:08:54

Maximilian
Vincent
Patrick
Alexander
Frederick
Henry

wizzler Thu 08-Feb-18 21:44:41

Matthew,
Jonathan
Caleb

pilates Thu 08-Feb-18 22:13:26

Nathan
Luke
Joseph

NewYearNiki Fri 09-Feb-18 00:59:45

Maxwell instead of Maximus.

I knew a Maxwell at university. Maxwell James. Nice name I thought.

Conrad is a strong name I like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: