Advanced search

(42 Posts)
MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 10:42:01

I'm set on a name for baby #3 and have been for years but every person who knows the name says that alliteration is awful as our surname has the name first letter as the name and that our name isn't very feminine if our baby is a girl (we don't know the sex yet).

Is alliteration that bad? The middle name is a different letter but we won't often use that except on forms and when they're in trouble grin

ReinettePompadour Tue 06-Feb-18 10:48:06

It can be difficult for children to say their full names if theres alliteration. Sometimes they might leave off the first letter of their surname when writing if they dont realise that it actually does start with the same letter as the end sound of the first name.

Once I married I had this issue. Its fine if I'm sober but half glass of wine and I usually end up saying just call me 'Dave' or something. grin

MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 10:51:12

The end of the first name is nothing like the beginning of our surname, just the same beginning letter in both the first name and surname (WW - both two syllable names)

creaturefeatures Tue 06-Feb-18 10:51:48

I quite like name and surname start with the same letter, as does the DC of one of my close friends.

As long as it's not Minnie Mouse I think it's fine grin

creaturefeatures Tue 06-Feb-18 10:54:32

Come to think of it, loads of people have the same initial forename and surname don't they?

Jenny Jones
Michael Mosley
Andre Agassi
Charlie Chaplin
Daniel Defoe
Greta Garbo
Farrah Fawcett
James Joyce

I've never heard their names and thought there was something wrong with them

<possibly biased as have alliteration>

MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 10:56:54

That's what I thought and they're all lovely. I've always wished I had an alliterative name because I think they sound great but people's opinions have really got to me and now I'm canvassing further opinions hopefully to validate my choice.

TheVanguardSix Tue 06-Feb-18 10:58:38

I don't see any problem... unless you're naming him (?) Walter White or her(?) Gesche Gottfried (a notorious female serial killer).

I like alliteration. Go on, tell us the first name!

SleepingStandingUp Tue 06-Feb-18 11:01:02

I think Wendy Wentworth might be a bit ott but Wendy Willums is fine.

Whether you have given yor Dd a boys name is a different thread though

Funclesmuck Tue 06-Feb-18 11:01:10

I was going to comment, yes, that’s a horrible name, but now I understand that the word alliteration isn’t the name grin I think same letters for surname and forname are great and a bit superhero.

MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 11:01:58

Wyatt W (two syllable surname, quite common).

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:02:33

I think it's fine, but it really does depend on the name.

SleepingStandingUp Tue 06-Feb-18 11:03:08

I don't like it for a girl though I know it's popular -Mina Kukis and Ashton Kutcher i think?

MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 11:04:37

I've been sitting on it for a boy for the past eleven years. We obviously don't know the sex of our baby yet and won't know for another month or so but we've both agreed to use it for a boy or a girl with a feminine middle name.

I saw that Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis used it for a girl and it gave me the push I needed.

RatherBeRiding Tue 06-Feb-18 11:04:43

I'm thinking Wilson. Wyatt Wilson has a nice ring to it!

Don't see a problem with alliteration so long as the syllables aren't too similar. (Jennifer Jefferson for example).

MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 11:05:55

Not Wilson. A family name of one of the children in Stranger Things.

Wow1234 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:09:42

Ignore everyone else's opinion other than your partner!!!

No way everyone will agree and it really is irrelevant what they think.

I think it's best not to share till after the baby is born and you've decided. Then people just accept the name

SleepingStandingUp Tue 06-Feb-18 11:10:31

What Wow said

MonaTheMoaner Tue 06-Feb-18 11:13:49

Because we've been trying for so long my sister, best friends etc already knew the name we were sitting on (and hoping we'd change our minds). Nobody in the wider circle will know until the birth.

DiegoMadonna Tue 06-Feb-18 11:17:26

Walt Whitman is another famous WW.

I think it's fine. I wouldn't deliberately do it for my DC, but it wouldn't stop me either. My Dad and brother both have DD initials.

DiegoMadonna Tue 06-Feb-18 11:22:13

William Wallace! William Wordsworth!

KatnissK Tue 06-Feb-18 11:24:19

I think it's fine. There are lots of alliterative names in the school where I teach - I don't think it would seem odd in the slightest.

athingthateveryoneneeds Tue 06-Feb-18 11:25:56

I like it! I wouldn't do it on purpose, but it wouldn't put me off a beloved name.

troodiedoo Tue 06-Feb-18 11:26:03

My dd1 has same letter h for first and last name. She is mildly peeved about it.

Enidblyton1 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:30:38

I think alliterative names are great - memorable! Go for it (though I really don't like Wyatt for a girl grin)

Twooter Tue 06-Feb-18 11:34:20

What Enid said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now