Talk

Advanced search

Lovely, Gorgeous, Irish Girls Names Please!

(178 Posts)
HolyShmoly Wed 31-Jan-18 21:17:32

DH and I are really struggling with names. We are Irish, living in England with a very English surname (think Smith.) Baby will be born and raised in England and I'd like to give her an Irish name as a link to our home and also so she doesn't have the dullest name ever (I have a really plain name which I disliked and then ended up having a very dull surname to go with it so it's a pain I feel.)

I'd like to avoid names with fadas or that are too difficult for a non-gaeilgeoir to get a handle on, I think two syllables would be preferable. Scan says baby is a girl. Lots of family so Maeve, Niamh, Roisin are out and DH doesn't like Aoibheann or Mairead.

So far we love Aoife. That's it. Just one name shortlisted. Ideally I'd like to have at least two names to choose from, or else we might end up with a not-at-all-Irish Eleanor.

Thanks in advance!

Genevieva Wed 31-Jan-18 21:22:26

Bridget, Margaret, Mary.

ginpig Wed 31-Jan-18 21:22:49

I really like Aoife- but might be a bit difficult for some..

My DH is also Irish and we did similar so we have an Orlaith. Can always spell it Orla to avoid the inevitable pronunciation of the silent -ith

fia101 Wed 31-Jan-18 21:22:58

Niamh

DramaAlpaca Wed 31-Jan-18 21:24:55

Orla. Simple, pretty and easy to spell & pronounce.

GlorianaBanana Wed 31-Jan-18 21:25:19

Eibhlin

missjaysays Wed 31-Jan-18 21:25:39

Such a shame Niamh can't be used as it is such a beautiful name.
I like Aoife too, I think it's fairly common so most people know how to pronounce it.

Sinead?

3littlerabbits Wed 31-Jan-18 21:25:59

Saoirse, Aoibh, Ciara, Clodagh, Cliona, Aine, Eimear

BlackberryandNettle Wed 31-Jan-18 21:26:53

Am not Irish, but Eithne is nice and I think pronunciation is obvious from spelling, unlike a few other Irish names

CountingDownToBedtime Wed 31-Jan-18 21:27:39

Siobhan

HolyShmoly Wed 31-Jan-18 21:28:18

I get that some people will read Aoife for the first time and think 'a-o-eyf-ee?' but surely it won't take more than one correction? It's also not massively uncommon, I don't think.

Bridget, Margaret and Mary are middle aged women in my head, sorry! All aunts or neighbours names, I'd be scared she'd go running to my Mammy to tell on me!

Orla and Niamh are both in the family...

There's a reason we have a shortlist of one I think. confused

Shmithecat Wed 31-Jan-18 21:28:29

Finola 💓

HRHPrincessMegan Wed 31-Jan-18 21:28:35

Alannah, Cara, Iseult, Cliona....

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 31-Jan-18 21:28:42

Roisin
Finola

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Wed 31-Jan-18 21:30:34

Ailis / Ailish

Genevieva Wed 31-Jan-18 21:30:35

Siobhan

I was deliberately avoiding the modern Gaelic names like Saoirse, but it is a pretty name. I like Bridget best. Solidly Irish and not hard for anyone non-Irish to know how to spell or read aloud.

missjaysays Wed 31-Jan-18 21:30:50

Or what about Clodagh?
Pronounced klo-dah
I know a baby Clodagh and she's a delight!

shoofly Wed 31-Jan-18 21:30:54

I love Saoirse and Cliodhna, Aislin is nice too

BarrysnotLyons Wed 31-Jan-18 21:31:06

Had an Aoife born near London.
Think the name is getting quite popular in the UK.
Most people had already met one and had no difficulty pronouncing the name once explained.
In Ireland now and mind the name very common unfortunately lol!

Genevieva Wed 31-Jan-18 21:31:23

Margaret is coming back in. I know a couple of little Maggies. Really cute.

HolyShmoly Wed 31-Jan-18 21:31:37

Eibhlin was top of my list and would be a perfect family connection, but DH has vetoed it. He doesn't seem to like 'v' sounding names so Aoibh is out too, I love those names. And Beibhinn.

I hadn't thought of Eithne. I might be a bit too older lady, but it's definitely an interesting one...

Haudyerwheesht Wed 31-Jan-18 21:31:39

Ailish

mineallmine Wed 31-Jan-18 21:31:53

Eadaoin, Sorcha, Dara, Úna, Clodagh, Ailbhe, Aoibh, Áine, Cliodhna, Féile.

BarrysnotLyons Wed 31-Jan-18 21:31:57

Also like Ciara,Orlaith ams Saoirse.

EspressoPatronum Wed 31-Jan-18 21:32:30

Aine
Patricia
Eilish
Eilidh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now