Talk

Advanced search

Ada

(29 Posts)
AurelieFizz Fri 19-Jan-18 08:30:19

I love the name Ada but with my 7 letter, 2 syllable surname it looks a little short written down. I think this is because my mum's name is Amanda (same surname) so the two names would be identical apart from three middle letters missing. It is a lovely name and might not bother me if the kid had a different surname to my mum's so it looked like a different name and not someone mistyping my mum's. Not really sure what my question is but do you think this is an issue or not? Any suggestions?

GlorianaBanana Fri 19-Jan-18 08:33:53

I don't think it's an issue, but you could use Adeline/Adaline/Adelina/Adabelle etc

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 19-Jan-18 08:49:14

I love Adeline (Addie).

villainousbroodmare Fri 19-Jan-18 08:54:15

I think it's a bit ugly and makes me think of a downtrodden scullery maid but that might be because it's a brand of mops, basin, scrubbers etc.

Zampa Fri 19-Jan-18 08:58:13

I love Ada, always have. However, it just didn't go with OH's surname. Use it!

SwinginFromTheChandelier Fri 19-Jan-18 09:05:29

I can't see an issue!

For example these sound fine-

Ada Johnson
Ada Jackson
Ada Goodman

Or Ayda as alternative spelling or Ida if the association is more to do with your mothers name?

Rebeccaslicker Fri 19-Jan-18 09:50:52

It reminds me of the stubborn old grumpy pony in "national velvet", miss Ada!

I like the idea of using a longer name like Adeline and then calling her Ada for short? Then she has other options too like Addie if she decides she doesn't like Ada when she's older.

stellarfox Fri 19-Jan-18 09:52:46

I don’t think there’s an issue at all. Ada is a lovely name. My nan had 6 letters in her whole name - 3 as a first and 3 as a surname!

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Fri 19-Jan-18 12:09:25

I don’t see that as a problem tbh op, but I do really like Adeline, which you could shorten to Ada, as suggested^^.

DiegoMadonna Fri 19-Jan-18 12:34:02

I love the name and don't see any issue with it being paired with a 7-letter, 2-syllable surname at all.

Nor with your mum's name being Amanda.

DiegoMadonna Fri 19-Jan-18 12:34:29

Ada Lovelace sounds awesome and her surname had 8 letters and 2 syllables!

DiddlySquatter Fri 19-Jan-18 12:51:13

PN how? Adder or Aider

1haudyerwheesht Fri 19-Jan-18 14:44:06

I prefer Ida to Ada.

AurelieFizz Fri 19-Jan-18 20:38:25

It was more about my mum's name really.

Eg let's pretend her name is Amanda Jackson and I have grown up seeing Amanda Jackson written everywhere, then visually to me Ada Jackson looks like someone forgot the "man". However, since we are just pretending and her name is not Jackson, I don't see the problem as much with Ada and Amanda Jackson compared to our actual name so it may just be because it is my mum's actual name that it bothers me in a way I can't explain. But my partner wants to use my surname and we both like Ada.

AurelieFizz Fri 19-Jan-18 20:42:04

Ay-duh. Definitely not pronounced Ad-uh.

MikeUniformMike Fri 19-Jan-18 20:46:06

Don't like Ada, Adeline ... but I do like Amanda.
If you like Ada then just use Ada.

GreatDuckCookery Sat 20-Jan-18 23:11:08

Ada, Addie, Adeline are awful. Don't understand the love for these at all.

thUnderdog Sat 20-Jan-18 23:14:54

Read through the thread just to find out how to pronounce it - my first instinct is Ah-da. sorry, not helpful

SwinginFromTheChandelier Sat 20-Jan-18 23:33:39

Fowl it Ayda! It's definitely an acceptable form wink

NatureWalk Sat 20-Jan-18 23:36:55

I hate it sorry but it is mils name and she's an evil witch so that may be affecting my judgment!

DramaAlpaca Sat 20-Jan-18 23:49:04

I think Ada and Amanda are so different there isn't an issue.

It does slightly amuse me that as Ada is a 'granny chic' name it sounds to me like a much older person than Amanda.

I really like Amanda, actually. It must be due a revival too grin

Mrsknackered Sat 20-Jan-18 23:57:56

I love Ada

BalloonsPop Sun 21-Jan-18 00:05:00

Ada is definitely one of those Granny names like Edith or Ethel, personally I don't find them pleasant at all.

Amanda, just to say to DramaAlpaca, I hope not. I did a deed poll to get rid of Amanda. I hope that's consigned to the 70's/80's history books.

Missadasmith Sun 21-Jan-18 20:27:38

I am an Ada (but not a Smith obviously grin). It's a great name and I had lots of compliments for it over the years!

midsomermurderess Sun 21-Jan-18 21:00:49

Island in Turkish, fwiw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now