Talk

Advanced search

Oliver - is it just toooooo popular?

(32 Posts)
mummytwoh Sat 13-Jan-18 12:52:33

My baby boy is a week old and we haven't got a short list.
Ideally I wanted a name not in the top 50 - however the more I look at him the more he looks like an Oliver 🙈 I do really love the name but the popularity is bothering me.
I have 2 under 6s and haven't actually come across any - all the boys here are Jacobs / Jakes and Harry's.

Should I let its popularity put me off? Does it matter?

Oysterbabe Sat 13-Jan-18 13:05:10

It's entirely up to you but it would put me off. It's not just popular, it's the most popular boy's name in the country ATM. I had the most popular girls name for the year I was born and there were bloody loads of us at school, I hated it.

DuruttiColumnist Sat 13-Jan-18 13:09:48

I know lots of secondary-age Olivers, not so many primary. It's a nice name, you should use it if you like it.

MikeUniformMike Sat 13-Jan-18 13:11:48

It's nice but very popular. If you like it then use it.
I'm not keen on Olly but the Olivers I know don't get called Olly.

rachrach2 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:13:15

It's a lovely name and popular for a reason. There are none in my daughter's pre school though! It being popular wouldn't put me off.

daisypond Sat 13-Jan-18 13:15:53

All the Olivers I know are in their 20s. Is it really still popular for babies? If you like it, then use. It's a nice name.

MiaowTheCat Sat 13-Jan-18 13:16:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeathByMascara Sat 13-Jan-18 13:16:56

I felt like that, but it was my favourite name, and a family one. So we used it.

squoosh Sat 13-Jan-18 13:17:35

If you love the name Oliver and you think he looks like an Oliver well then I'd call him.....Oliver.

It's popular but that doesn't necessarily mean he will be one of three in the classroom.

CharlotteC77 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:21:20

If you love it, use it. It's a lovely name. I haven't come across any Oliver's under the age of 10 (although clearly they must be out there somewhere!!). My daughter has a name that isn't even in the top 50 and there's another one in her class!! Pick a name you love, and the rest won't matter.

WhiteHartLane Sat 13-Jan-18 13:24:33

My 11 year old is called Oliver. Its not very common in my area (I know of one other). My youngest is 4 and there are no Olivers in his Reception class or at his pre-school last year. I love the name and would personally choose it regardless.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 13-Jan-18 13:34:05

Lovely name, won’t date, suits kids and adults. Go for it.

StellaTins Sat 13-Jan-18 13:35:17

It's very popular because it's nice.

If he's an Oliver then he's an Oliver wink

athingthateveryoneneeds Sat 13-Jan-18 13:35:54

It's popular for good reason. I grew up with several classmates with my name, didn't doe any harm. I come across fewer name twins as an adult, now.

BewareOfDragons Sat 13-Jan-18 13:36:50

I personally wouldn't use it; it's wildly popular.

Anything similar that might work? Like Jasper?

ladybirdsaredotty Sat 13-Jan-18 13:41:51

I only know 1! Ah if that's what he looks like go for it. My daughter's name was 250th-ish (but rising) when we named her. She's 4 now and is friends with 2 others with her name!

DramaAlpaca Sat 13-Jan-18 13:44:11

If you love it, go for it.

RaeSkywalker Sat 13-Jan-18 13:47:58

If he looks like an Oliver, I’d name him Oliver.

That said, Oliver was on our list for DS for a long time, but we ended up discounting it because of how popular it is- there are loads around here though!!

HolyShet Sat 13-Jan-18 13:51:27

Depends where you live

Up here in the frozen north there's hardly any

Rock up at a Dorset music festival you are deafened by the shouting of the name Ollie.

I've got one, btw. Was one of two in his whole primary and now one of two in his secondary year of 150. Not met any baby Olivers lately - they are all Jack/Alfie/Reggie/Archie.

DoYouSupposeShesAWildflower Sat 13-Jan-18 13:51:57

I have one and don't know any others.There are none in dd's class of 60, but there are two of her name which is not top 50 and not one you would expect to be more than one of. It isnt a problem though. All of the boys names that there are more than one of are names that would be considered as much less popular than Oliver. If you pick a name you love less based upon popularity you may end up being disappointed depending on where you live.

Trialsmum Sat 13-Jan-18 13:53:52

Ds is one of 3 in his class!

Trialsmum Sat 13-Jan-18 13:55:28

Having said that though, there are non in any of the years below him so maybe it’s becoming less popular!

XxMagpiexX Sat 13-Jan-18 14:30:31

My nephew was born 5 days ago and he is called Oliver 😍

Theclockstruck2 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:43:46

I think it’s easier to picture our children being names we have heard a lot. They feel very wearable to us because we know of a few people with the name!! So that might be why you feel he ‘looks like’ an Oliver even though you want an unusual name. I say this as someone who has picked the more popular of the two options both times for my kids.And I like Oliver it’s lovely.

pipilangstrumpf Sat 13-Jan-18 18:19:56

It is VERY popular and has been for a number of years. Depends if that bothers you (or your ds), whether he minds having to add a surname initial to his name?

We sometimes forget why we name people - mainly so that they can be easily identified smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: