Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on names Madison and Elsie???

(58 Posts)
Nayynayy Thu 11-Jan-18 09:46:18

Usually keep names I like to myself, told family these two last night and remembered why I do that 😂
Interested in what other people think of these names now and any other girl suggestions?..

SuperBeagle Thu 11-Jan-18 09:55:53

I prefer Madeleine or Madeline to Madison, but I don't dislike Madison. Ultimately, all of those names will be shortened to Maddie anyway.

I like Elsie, also. smile

TalkinBoutWhat Thu 11-Jan-18 09:58:30

I quite like Madison. A strong sounding name, but still feminine.

Elsie, not so much. You'll also likely be in a sea of little Elsas after Frozen (human AND animal). So for that reason alone I would avoid it.

duckponds Thu 11-Jan-18 10:00:45

Elsa is only number 300 or so in the chart but Elsie is now top 50.

Madison sounds too American for me and is quite a different style to Elsie?

Nayynayy Thu 11-Jan-18 10:06:42

I love Madeline but can't help but think of Madeline McCann when I hear it, is that stupid?
Have had Madison all along, just the last week or two feel ive gone off it. Mum made me think I was crazy for suggesting Elsie! Said it's an old woman name but I think it's cute

Figgygal Thu 11-Jan-18 10:08:05

Madison's too American for me
Elsie is very popular at the moment I know 3 babies born in last year with the name

BoredOnMatLeave Thu 11-Jan-18 10:15:37

I don't mind Madison but I prefer Madeline
Quite like Elsie too but very popular at the moment

ChocolateCrunch Thu 11-Jan-18 10:26:03

Not keen on Madison, sorry. Elsie is OK, prefer Elsa or Elise.

FrancisCrawford Thu 11-Jan-18 11:18:14

Madison is very American as a forename

In U.K. it’s a surname and sounds masculine. Really dislike it for a girl

Elsie will always be the drippy kid in What Katie Did to me

Coey2016 Thu 11-Jan-18 11:28:22

I like both names. I know quite a few little Elsies but only one Madison.

Nayynayy Thu 11-Jan-18 13:07:28

@FrancisCrawford I've never heard of what Katie did?

If you don't like either did you have any suggestions?

LittleTinyPig Thu 11-Jan-18 13:10:08

I think Elsie is a lovely name. It seems old fashioned to older people, but I know a few young Elsies now and to their friends it is just a name. And the Elsie in What Katy Did grew up much less whiny 😀

I am not so keen on Madison but there’s nothing wrong with it, just personal taste.

omBreROSE Thu 11-Jan-18 13:12:34

Maddison is beyond popular in the US.
Elsie is amazingly popular here (UK)
Unfortunately, for that reason l don’t like either.
I met someone called Unity the other day. I think that is really pretty.
I also like Avril !
Sorry, not much help...

Helpotron3000 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:14:55

I prefer Elsie, because I don't like the shortening Maddy

MikeUniformMike Thu 11-Jan-18 13:20:15

Elsie is very popular at the mo. Once you've heard a parent call out the name in Lidl it is never the same.
Madison is the name of a former president of the USA. Have you thought of Clinton, Bush or Trump?

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 11-Jan-18 13:20:56

Yes never tell people your suggested names before the baby arrives! My mum really disliked DD's name when I told her (even though it was her own mother's name!) but I think it's grown on her now DD is 9!

I like both Elsie and Madison but prefer Elsie, I think it's a lovely name. I only know of one (aged 12) so it's not that common where we are. I wouldn't worry too much about popularity, we gave DS a name that we thought wasn't very common and now there are three in his class. It's doesn't bother me though.

Other names I like (for my fictional third child!) are Matilda, Violet, Mabel, Annabelle, Evelyn.

TatianaLarina Thu 11-Jan-18 13:21:59

Madison is chav via US, Elsie is an old lady.

heron98 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:23:28

I'm afraid I think they are both hideous

ShatnersBassoon Thu 11-Jan-18 13:24:43

I'm not keen on any of the Maddy names.
Elsie is OK, but I think I'd go for Elizabeth or Eleanor, in case my daughter didn't want a 'pet name' all her life.

Nayynayy Thu 11-Jan-18 13:24:47

@MikeUniformMike Trump is a beautiful name, can't believe this hadn't crossed my mind

ThreeOwlsInATrenchcoat Thu 11-Jan-18 13:24:48

Honestly? Elsie's ok, nice enough but I'm not a fan of abbreviated names given as the full name.

Madison is a very American-sounding name to me.

But, if you and your DP love the names then use them; they're not terrible names, they're simply not to my taste, and that shouldn't matter much.

AnyaMoondial Thu 11-Jan-18 13:28:31

Elsie is cute.

LittleCandle Thu 11-Jan-18 13:30:47

Madison is horrible, sorry. Elsie is an old lady's name for people of my generation!

I would go with a classic, simple name like Jane, Susan, Mary, Sally. There are loads of lovely names out there that aren't being used at the moment.

Nayynayy Thu 11-Jan-18 13:31:57

@iwouldgoouttonight haha I know I really shouldn't of said anything last night. Funny because I know my nan was the same with my mum about my name, but I love my name.

I know people's opinions don't matter was just putting them out there for suggestions as well really. Thanks for everyone's input, even the ones calling them hideous 😂👍

trevthecat Thu 11-Jan-18 13:41:18

Dd middle name is Elsie. I love it and often wish I'd used it as her first name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now