Talk

Advanced search

Is Lewis considered a downmarket name in SE England?

(69 Posts)
CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 16:07:44

Just that really!

I didn’t think of Lewis as ‘downmarket’ at all, but I’ve seen a couple of threads on here lately where people have said things like; it’s downmarket / it’s one of those names teachers doesn’t like seeing on their class lists / “dated and chavvy” (not my words).

I am not from SE England, but live there now and am wondering how it’s perceived in the area. I know it shouldn’t matter, and nor would it if we were totally set on it, but as we’re umming and ah-ing anyway, I just thought I’d ask.

TIA

KatnissK Sun 17-Dec-17 16:17:06

I'm in the SW and personally I don't like it, sorry. I'm a teacher and it's very much a naughty boy name to me.

Sashkin Sun 17-Dec-17 16:19:12

Depends on what part of SE England. If you're nowhere near the town (Lewes), it’s fine.

I once had a colleague called Caburn, after the prominent hill fort south of Lewes. I thought that was a pretty nice name, though again it would be a bit weird if you still live in the area (he didn’t).

CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 16:21:55

Nowhere near Lewes! Good point though.

overmydeadbody Sun 17-Dec-17 16:22:17

Yes.

LockedOutOfMN Sun 17-Dec-17 16:23:43

I'm from London and think it's a lovely name that's not downmarket. I knew a few young boys named Lewis and they all have a Scottish parent or grandparent.

Greenshoots1 Sun 17-Dec-17 16:25:38

not any more. 30-40 years ago, maybe

lovingmatleave Sun 17-Dec-17 16:31:22

Wow at the teacher who has preconceptions about kids based on their name! I'd hate to think a child entering school has a teacher like her.

CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 16:39:13

We aren’t Scottish, but we lived in Scotland for a few years after we graduated, so I have a soft spot for Scottish names! I think of Lewis as a classic, Scottish name, so neutral really rather than up / downmarket or trendy / dated.

Lewis is one of the only names we both like, but we aren’t 100% set on it.

DancesWithOtters Sun 17-Dec-17 16:46:45

I don't like it, but I wouldn't put it in the "Jayden" pile.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sun 17-Dec-17 16:49:53

No, not at all. It's a classic, neutral Welsh/Scots name.

whoareyoukidding Sun 17-Dec-17 17:04:00

what about Linus? Similar but also traditional

Smoliver Sun 17-Dec-17 17:30:17

I only know one Lewis, who I grew up with at school. He wasn't a "chav" or naughty at school from what I can remember and he now teaches Biology to Secondary school children.

Long story short, I think it's a good name for a boy - not down market at all!

BonnieF Sun 17-Dec-17 17:37:18

My perception would be that if the family were not Scottish, the boy would likely be named after Lewis Hamilton (who, incidentally, was named after the athlete Carl Lewis). Naming children after celebrities might be considered 'downmarket' by some.

CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 17:39:09

Oooooh @bonnie. You might be on to something there... Maybe people think it’s sleb inspired, which I think people do think is a bit downmarket.

Tour Sun 17-Dec-17 18:02:46

Logan is a similar Scottish name used less.

CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 18:04:35

I’m not keen on Logan or Linus, but thank you for the suggestions smile.

Veterinari Sun 17-Dec-17 18:17:12

Many Celtic origin names are considered ‘chavvy’ in England. I suspect it says more about the judgers than the namers

FadedRed Sun 17-Dec-17 18:19:13

This place amazed me at times.
Innocuous thread about a name, and within a few replies we have a teacher who judges the 'naughty children' based on their parent's name choice, and the most successful British racing driver in the history of the sport dismissed as a 'sleb', instead of feted as an inspirational role model.
Lewis is a good Scottish/Welsh name IMO.

CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 18:40:43

I wouldn’t name my child after Lewis Hamilton. Sorry if that offends.

I don’t see him as a hero. Very good at driving fast though and a nice chap I’m sure.

CaptainChristmas Sun 17-Dec-17 19:29:09

Thanks all for comments.

I think we’re going to go for it, with Arthur as a middle name smile.

MaddeningtheUnhelpful Sun 17-Dec-17 19:49:33

I was going to say (like a lot of others) I don't hear the name a lot down here (1 to be exact and he's 30) I don't hear negativity about the name Lewis but to us South Easties it's a place that's famed locally for a huge bonfire celebration and a cat A prison...

JoJoSM2 Sun 17-Dec-17 20:16:28

DH, who's lived in the SE all his life says that 'Lewis' sounds dorky to him.

Idontmeanto Sun 17-Dec-17 20:26:31

I teach. I’m afraid it is one of “those” names.

RuthW Sun 17-Dec-17 20:31:47

Yes it is a bit chavvy and I'm in SE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now