Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Jude - in a Scottish accent????

(28 Posts)
FlashingLights11 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:04:08

I’m english, living in Scotland and I’m expecting a baby boy. I love the name Jude but I’m thinking of how it will sound in a Scottish accent. It’s a much shorter vowel sound, if that makes sense and I’m not sure if it will sound so good. I don’t want to tell anyone the names we’re considering so I haven’t been able to hear how it actually sounds. Any Scottish people on here who could help me decide?

Glitterkitten24 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:10:17

I'm Glaswegian and it sounds nice to me in broad weegie- I think it's a lovely name. I know 2 young Jude's.

weebarra Fri 15-Dec-17 22:51:32

A little boy I know has just been named Jude. It's just Jood.

kaytee87 Sat 16-Dec-17 03:49:28

Well where abouts in Scotland? There's lots of accents here.

FarAwayFromLand Sat 16-Dec-17 06:52:13

Depends which accent I think as there's a fair variation across Scotland. Here (east coast) it would be Jew-d with quite a long 'oo' sound albeit I have just tried saying it in a flawless English accent and it is longer. I can see that on the west coast it might be quite abrupt and almost 'Jid' (like gid for good in a broad west coast accent).

Nice name though!

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Sat 16-Dec-17 07:13:10

Jude would be said with a schwa sound in the Scottish accent in my head. So it doesn’t have the long oo sound.

FarAwayFromLand Sat 16-Dec-17 07:16:15

What in the world - what? Can you explain more? I've tried and can't figure out what you mean.

jemmysmum Sat 16-Dec-17 07:16:40

Having Scottish relatives and heard the name said ,it sounded more like Judd.

Scottishgirl85 Sat 16-Dec-17 08:54:25

I'm Scottish and would pronounce it jood but I agree I say it very quickly so it appears as a very short sound. My husband is English and he says it with a much longer sound. It is lovely though, you should use it!

trixymalixy Sat 16-Dec-17 08:59:27

I know a couple of Judes and I live in Glasgow. It's a lovely name. I don't think it sounds bad in a Scottish accent.

kaytee87 Sat 16-Dec-17 09:47:30

Jude would be said with a schwa sound in the Scottish accent in my head. So it doesn’t have the long oo sound.

???

NoSquirrels Sat 16-Dec-17 09:49:40

It could come across as a shortened vowel sound, but is still a lovely name and it wouldn’t sound awful at all, just different.

gingerclementine Sat 16-Dec-17 10:01:33

It might get shortened a bit to sound like the u in 'put' - Jud more than Jude. But both sound good (guid) grin and it's a great name.

abiirthdaycake Sat 16-Dec-17 10:02:52

I actually suggested Judith to my SO recently but then decided against it because we live in Northern Ireland and so would have the same problem with the vowel as you would have - it's a shame because I love the name Jude, I just know I couldn't handle nearly everyone (including her probably, if we stayed in NI) mispronouncing it!

EllaHen Sat 16-Dec-17 10:05:16

I'm Scottish and have always loved Jude. I think it sounds lovely.

Don't know why I didn't push for it when we had ds.

mintich Sat 16-Dec-17 10:06:37

It sounds nice in my accent! (Glaswegian)

kaytee87 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:22:32

I couldn't handle nearly everyone (including her probably, if we stayed in NI) mispronouncing it!

They're not mispronouncing it, they just have a different accent to you hmm

abiirthdaycake Sat 16-Dec-17 10:40:57

They're not mispronouncing it, they just have a different accent to you

Sorry, I misspoke - didn't mean to offend

yasmin05 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:29:57

I think Jude is a lovely name.

NinonDeLenclos Sat 16-Dec-17 16:58:32

I can't do a proper Scottish accent but as far as I can it sounds good.

Jude is an ace name.

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Mon 18-Dec-17 18:07:53

A schwa is a phonetic sound. Google will explain better than me. I would say Jood but in parts of Scotland It wouldn’t have a long oo but a schwa. Like in book.

bettybyebye Mon 18-Dec-17 18:13:33

I have a Jude and it still sounds lovely when my Scottish family (Edinburgh) say the name

Madbengalmum Mon 18-Dec-17 18:16:09

Everyone is calling their child Jude. Dislike it alot, reminds me of Jude the obscure, not a good link.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 20:52:24

Really don't like it. Jude the obscure and Judas.
I like Jed.

NinonDeLenclos Tue 19-Dec-17 18:50:45

Jed is a knob.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: