Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Teddy

(84 Posts)
mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:32:56

I absolutely love the name Teddy and it's a strong contender for our baby boy due in May but I really don't like Theodore and I can't have Edward as it's my brother in laws name. Is Teddy a name that can be used just by itself? Others opinions would be great!

BiscuitTinClarabel Tue 12-Dec-17 10:34:49

How about Edmund? Personally think Teddy is a lovely name but would want a more serious name as a back up.

MaroonPencil Tue 12-Dec-17 10:36:12

I love Teddy but I do think you need a longer name. I wanted to use it but DH didn't like Edward and I wasn't that keen on Theodore - I didn't think of Edmund, but DH probably wouldn't have gone for that.

BiscuitTinClarabel Tue 12-Dec-17 10:36:25

(have never been first on a thread before! How exciting!)

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:36:54

Yes that's my concern too, I'm not a huge fan of Edmond. If we went with Teddy I think we would use Ted later on! It's so hard!!

crumpet Tue 12-Dec-17 10:39:08

Why can’t you have Edward? It won’t be used day to day, and is there as a back up or for use in future years. Not keen on Teddy as a given name, Ted if you must, with Teddy as nn.

ShizzleYoDrizzle Tue 12-Dec-17 10:41:33

I think Teddy is too babyish for a grown man. He may of course love being a 50 year old Teddy but there's a chance he won't. Give him an Ed name, Edward, Edgar, Edmund.

SoupDragon Tue 12-Dec-17 10:42:32

I don't like names like Teddy as the actual name because you're naming an adult. Fine as a chosen nickname but, for me, not as a full name.

Google isn't helping, it's given Edwin Edison or Edmund amongst some odder ones.

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:42:56

Just feel a bit odd giving my son the name Edward when my sister is married to an Edward and they have had a little boy and again, Edward is his middle name. I agree that perhaps a longer name may be better for his adult years but then again there are Ted's and Teddy's out there who have always been known as that e.g Teddy Sheringham lol

IVflytrap Tue 12-Dec-17 10:47:12

Thaddeus.

Fatso1978 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:54:13

Teddy? Latest name fad from the US I suppose. Why would you name your child after a stuffed toy?

FartnissEverbeans Tue 12-Dec-17 10:57:55

Why would you name your child after a stuffed toy?

The stuffed toy is named after Theodore Roosevelt

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:58:53

When I think of the name Teddy I definitely don't think of a stuffed toy (genuinely). I think of an old mans name 'Ted' and I think it's a lovely name in this day and age too. It's better in my opinion than the likes of 'Junior' etc but that's just me! I only wanted to see what people thought about a longer name for me then to shorten it not for it to be criticised as I believe it's entirely personal choice what you would like to call your child ☺️

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 12-Dec-17 11:01:22

If BIL is known by his full name or even Ed I don't see why you can't use Edward and choose Teddy as your son's everyday name.
BIL and DSis would probably consider it a compliment.

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:02:56

Yes you're right they definitely would see it as a compliment lol!! I may consider Edward. My husband likes Teddy on its own at the moment and some colleagues at his work say they know a few Teddys that have just been Teddy so that reassures me it's not too crazy!

Chaosofcalm Tue 12-Dec-17 11:04:05

Can you imagine Teddy will you take this women to be your wife? Or Teddy we would like to offer you the job? Or another other adult situation?

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:05:37

But you can totally say that about so many names in this day and age can't you. Chaosofcalm

Unicornwhiskers Tue 12-Dec-17 11:20:31

I would go with Ted as it’s more ‘grown up’ but call him Teddy.

GiveMeTheTeaAndNobodyGetsHurt Tue 12-Dec-17 11:21:30

How about Edwin as a full name?

moggle Tue 12-Dec-17 11:22:46

It'll naturally shorten to Ted though by the time he gets to marriageable age I'm sure!
Edwin is another option.
But in this situation i would go for Edward and introduce him as Teddy.
Love Ted and I know a few plus a couple of Teddies. Theodores and Edwards, but one Ted is actually Thomas Edward D-surname. so has the initials T.E.D, we all thought it was a bit random at the time but no-one bats an eyelid now!

Fatso1978 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:23:19

But she isn't calling the child Theodore. So it isn't being used because of a famous person.

I am entitled to my own opinion. If you don't like it, don't post on a public forum.

Chaosofcalm Tue 12-Dec-17 11:25:12

Yep you can. That is why I would apply the question to any name.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 12-Dec-17 11:33:19

*But she isn't calling the child Theodore. So it isn't being used because of a famous person.

I am entitled to my own opinion. If you don't like it, don't post on a public forum*

I don't care what your opinion is. I think you're taking an innocuous comment quite personally.

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:35:02

But I'm also not calling my child after a stuffed toy which is what you originally said. I've posted on here for ideas of a longer name like I previously said not to be criticised!

mum2bemay22 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:36:51

My nephew is Thomas Edward, good way of getting Ted though with the initials I suppose. My surname starts with W. The more I say Teddy the more it grows on me just as Teddy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: