Talk

Advanced search

Wdyt of names with multiple spellings?

(17 Posts)
MrsNjie Mon 11-Dec-17 12:29:21

We are thinking of calling our baby boy Zayne - (middle name Adam) but are we subjecting him to a lifetime of correcting people?

Other spellings.. Zain Zayn Zaine Zane...

Does it matter when there have always been names such as Catherine/Katherine/Cathryn/Kathryn around anyway?

Tia smile

saritah Mon 11-Dec-17 12:50:29

Haven't come across the Zayne spelling before. Zayn Malik is the best-known one around, so you might get it corrected to that a lot?

cakeymccakington Mon 11-Dec-17 12:59:44

My first name is Claire. I have to spell it pretty much every time.
Surname also has 2 equally common variations in spelling so I have to spell that too!

So in short, don't worry about it

BlueChampagne Mon 11-Dec-17 13:06:09

W have an Aidan. Not an Aiden, or an Adan, or an Aden ... mutter and carry on.

helpmum2003 Mon 11-Dec-17 13:48:16

Personally I would try to avoid names with variable spelling as much as possible. I have a classic name with 2 options and that's bad enough.....

ItsTuesday Mon 11-Dec-17 16:34:42

My first name has 3 common spelling variations. Unfortunately, mine doesn't make it to that list which does make it quite a pain in the arse.

newtlover Mon 11-Dec-17 16:39:08

I think it's OK as long as you are using a common variant (Catherine/Katherine etc) and not a made up spelling like Lekksy-Maye - I can't comment on Zayn/e as I'm not familiar with it

UsernameInvalid66 Mon 11-Dec-17 17:53:11

All three of my names (and my maiden name too, come to think of it) have at least 2 acceptable spellings and my first name has about 8. I think I would try to avoid names with that many variants, and especially avoid choosing one of the less common variants.

MrsNjie Tue 12-Dec-17 04:30:52

Thanks everyone smile
Zayne isn't a made up spelling, according to name books it's the Hebrew spelling opposed to the Muslim or English (we are British Christian/ Gambian Muslim but just preferred that spelling)

We might go for the more common spelling though... poor kid will always be spelling his surname as it is!

Cavender Tue 12-Dec-17 04:35:50

I have to spell both my names every single time. It’s really not that big a deal.

People occasionally get it wrong and I politely correct them. <shrug>

MNers seem to have a horror of having to spell stuff. Honestly it’s never bothered me.

pipilangstrumpf Tue 12-Dec-17 10:27:12

Personally I would avoid names with multiple spellings because it's a pain to ALWAYS spell it out.

I know a Katharine and her name is more often misspelled than not. (Katherine, Catharine, Catherine, Kathryn etc).

Sarahjconnor Tue 12-Dec-17 10:35:10

I think it's a middle eastern name so going with the Jewish/Muslim spelling may be meaningful in some contexts and worth investigating.

mum2be2boys Tue 12-Dec-17 10:54:29

My name has 3 possible options so I've always had to spell it. I don't think it will be a problem, but aa pp have said I would use one of the known spellings.

The only time annoys me is when my mother in law still spells my name wrong (after 10 years!!)

EekThreek Tue 12-Dec-17 12:10:10

My first and middle names have multiple spellings, so I'm forever saying "Katy with a Y, Jane without a Y"

It's fine, it's just part of life. I just can't find it within myself to get worked up about it!

What does annoy me is that I married into a v uncommon surname, so I'm always explaining how to spell and pronounce that. But it's only annoying because I chose that. I still don't lose sleep over it grin

MrsNjie Thu 14-Dec-17 09:28:05

Thanks again all smile I won't lose sleep but I will discuss it again with my husband... we still have 10 weeks to decide for sure

PinkCrystal Sun 17-Dec-17 01:32:17

3 of my 5 DC have names that often need spelling as there are multiple varients. I would choose the most common form just to save some hassle. I know a Zane.

Koala2018 Sun 17-Dec-17 02:32:07

If you like the name then go for it smile

With the up-rise in social media, his peers, associates and work colleagues will know exactly how his name is spelled. It'll just be clarifying the spelling on forms which won't be too much of a strain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: