Talk

Advanced search

Names whose popularity mystify you

(304 Posts)
Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 16:57:27

I feel I must be showing my age because I don't understand the popularity of Fern/e. I don't hate it, I am just amazed at it's immense popularity. Why do you think it has caught the zeitgeist at the present time?

nutellatruffle Mon 04-Dec-17 16:59:29

Noah. I just don't like it and I don't know why yet it's very popular.

Stringofpearls Mon 04-Dec-17 17:01:06

I dont web to upset anyone, the names I am looking at for my baby are probably not to everyone's tastes either. However, I really don't understand Louis, I find it a bit wet!

Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 17:01:35

I actually think Noah is a great name but will end up as very early 21st century i.e of it's generation.

MrsJayy Mon 04-Dec-17 17:04:46

Millie has a funny ring to it iknow of a couple and it just doesn't sound right

Hassled Mon 04-Dec-17 17:05:15

Oh I like all those names. I don't get using surnames as first names - Madison, Mckenzie etc. I appreciate it's traditional in some areas (North East? Robson Green?) but I just don't understand why you would.

JapaneseTea Mon 04-Dec-17 17:06:25

Stanley! A terrible and ugly name that I cannot believe anyone would use.

Iris, Mabel, Ivy, when I was a child these were totally pukesome.

MaryWortleyMontagu Mon 04-Dec-17 17:06:42

All the granny chic names - Alfie, ivy, Elsie etc. They just scream old person to me and I'm not that old!

Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 17:07:06

I had a Scottish friend who said it was often the mother's maiden name used as a first name.

Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 17:09:20

I think it may be if we are a few decades removed from the younger parents. Stanley may well sound very fresh if you were born in 1995!

Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 17:11:39

I have a second cousin named Millie who is studyng to be a doctor, go Millie!

Dippingmytoesin Mon 04-Dec-17 17:12:23

I dislike Arlo,Miley and Mila they’re very very very popular in my extended friendship circle and I just can’t take to the names.

People probably don’t like my sons name though but it’s not very popular.

Bellybootcut Mon 04-Dec-17 17:13:09

Margot

It's horrible.

And also Ruth, Miriam and Meredith. Often see these pop up on the names board.

SchadenfreudePersonified Mon 04-Dec-17 17:14:41

What Moveable says - mother's maiden name either as a first name or a middle name.

The suitability depends on the surname. We have Scottish friends, one called Hunter, and another, Drummond. (They don't live anywhere near us, so this shouldn't be outing grin.) I think both of these sound really good.

However if the surname was (say) Lumley, or Hogg, it would't be quite as attractive. . . . hmm

Dustbunny1900 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:15:40

The Irish surnames are not to my taste an sound trendy but I get that it’s to pay respect to mothers side. Around here anyways. My niece is a a McKenna as it’s her mother’s real last name.

I dislike Kendra, Kayla, kaylin, kaden, aiden, Braden, etc. too trendy.

I think the top names lily, Amelia, Olivia, Ella, Mia, Sophie, etc are all very pretty but good GOD they are played out. Kind of like when you say a word over and over so many times it sounds like gibberish after awhile.

Mason mystifies me. Unless you are from a family that does mason -work. confused

badabing36 Mon 04-Dec-17 17:15:45

Teddy is very popular near me, I really don't like it.

Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 17:16:56

I know an adult Mila pronounced Mi-la and a baby Mila pronounced Mee-la.

MrsJayy Mon 04-Dec-17 17:19:18

Maybe i am not saying Millie right or something grin

BewareOfDragons Mon 04-Dec-17 17:20:24

I don't get the popularity of George, Eddie/Edward, Alfie, Aaron or Harry. Really dislike them, probably not helped that a high percentage of the children I know with these names aren't very nice at all.

CheeriosEverywhere Mon 04-Dec-17 17:22:14

I've never in my life met a Fern/e, or ever even hear of them. Immense popularity may be stretching it a bit?

MonumentalAlabaster Mon 04-Dec-17 17:24:26

I was bemused yesterday to be told a baby girl was called Quin. I had to control my facial expression as it seemed uncomfortably close to quim!!!!

Movablefeast Mon 04-Dec-17 17:24:39

Maybe I'm taking the MN baby naming threads too seriously then Cherrios it seems to be a big hit around these parts!

Dippingmytoesin Mon 04-Dec-17 17:25:27

Nope, it’s pretty popular in Liverpool cheerios

MikeUniformMike Mon 04-Dec-17 17:25:50

Darcey/Darcy. I think it looks plain and sounds like a surname.
Actually I think it sounds a bit like Arsey.

MrRayaUmasTurban Mon 04-Dec-17 17:26:10

'Maison'. Spelt like this. It's French for 'house' and sounds silly as a name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now