Talk

Advanced search

Can I still name my baby ... if niece has the spanish femine version as second name

(10 Posts)
Cigna Mon 04-Dec-17 13:55:40

Will anonymise a bit:

We´re looking for an international boys name (have posted here before and got some great suggestions). I think the pool of names we could choose from is about 7 (think Nicholas, William, John, etc. , due to our mixed marriage and the names of my other three, there are some limitations smile).
Have only now realised that my niece who lives on another continent with my sister/bil has as a second name the spanish version of one of the names in our top 3. She is only known by her first name though (although probably my sister would be the first to point out that we would be ´using´ their name). Would this stop you from picking this name?

rubberducker Mon 04-Dec-17 13:57:38

Nope, go for it! If it was a double barrelled name and they lived round the corner I wouldn’t, but a middle name that’s never used on a different continent? Why wouldn’t you?!

Love51 Mon 04-Dec-17 14:00:52

Be prepared for them to think that your child is named after theirs. It's a different version, so essentially a different name. And it is niece's middle name. No problem.

LemonysSnicket Mon 04-Dec-17 14:01:02

Its not the same gender or language as youe choice and its not even her first name ... go for it, would be ridiculous to have an issue with it.

Blahblahblahzeeblah Mon 04-Dec-17 14:05:38

My son has his uncle's middle name as a first name. No one has ever mentioned him being named after his uncle.

DiegoMadonna Mon 04-Dec-17 14:14:03

I would have no problem using it.

Jedbartletforpresident Mon 04-Dec-17 14:32:12

Plenty of first/middle names crossover in my family - none of them are "family" names either - we just like similar names. If our youngest DD had been a DS she would have had the same name as one of her cousin's except the Greek version of the Hebrew name cousin has.

No-one has ever batted an eyelid at it.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 04-Dec-17 18:20:56

Go ahead, it's absolutely fine. 😄

kaytee87 Mon 04-Dec-17 18:57:28

It doesn't matter at all.

SumAndSubstance Mon 04-Dec-17 21:43:25

So, do you want to call your son John and your niece's second name is Juanita (or similar)? I don't think that matters at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now