Talk

Advanced search

Surprised by choice of Deborah

(65 Posts)
Emileee80 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:39:49

One of the mums at the school has just had a baby girl and called her Deborah! Her nickname is Bee as that's apparently its meaning. Are 70s names due a revival??

Her son is called A m o s (separated so not googlable!), which seems more cool and on trend.
WDYT?

NannyR Fri 01-Dec-17 13:43:11

I quite like it - she's not likely to be one of several in her class. Both sibling names are old testament biblical names.

Flippetydip Fri 01-Dec-17 13:44:26

Um, at the wish of sounding a bit preachy - Deborah is not from the 1970s, it's a Hebrew name and occurs in the Book of Judges in the Bible. Hence, it goes quite well with Amos.

That said, I can't ever get past Tony singing "ditteny da, dittany da, Deborah" in Men Behaving Badly so I'm probably not one to ask.

IsadoraQuagmire Fri 01-Dec-17 14:12:47

Yes, Biblical, and it does mean "a bee" in Hebrew (as does Melissa in Greek, so I always think of those names as being connected)
It's a nice name.

Intercom Fri 01-Dec-17 14:31:42

I like it, but not so keen on Debbie as nickname - prefer Deb or Debs.

Intercom Fri 01-Dec-17 14:32:06

Bee is a lovely nickname 🐝

orangecloves Fri 01-Dec-17 14:33:28

It was my favourite name when I was little because there was a girl a couple of years older than me called Deborah at school who seemed very glamorous!

Codlet Fri 01-Dec-17 14:34:44

I know what you mean about a 70s name OP - I’m a 70s baby and it was the most common name in my year at school.

I like it.

OuchBollocks Fri 01-Dec-17 14:34:53

I would get Year 2000 by Pulp stuck in my head every time I saw her. Its stuck in my head now.

daisypond Fri 01-Dec-17 14:45:28

I love Deborah. As pp have said, it's an ancient Biblical name. Definitely due a revival - quite a few of these names seem to be coming back now, pushing out the more flowery Olivias and Isabellas.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 01-Dec-17 15:16:02

I like it, spelled this way, and love the nick name Bee, as I don't like Debs/Debbie.

MarklahMarklah Fri 01-Dec-17 15:21:58

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Names tend to come and go in popularity. DD has a name that's been in the top 10 names for ages. I didn't give her the name for that reason, but because of the meaning.
Our area is awash with Evies, Olives and Elsies - all old-fashioned names from my parents' era.
Haven't seen my own name (rather typical of the era in which I was born) making a comeback much yet, but who knows, in a few more years? smile

YouThought Fri 01-Dec-17 15:24:41

I love it and Bee is super cute. 🐝
My D.C. Used to go to a school with a lot of Asian kids (nearly all Chinese) who had an English name along with their Chinese name. The choice of English names was really random. Deborah would have fitted right in. I loved their names they were interesting.

Navegante Fri 01-Dec-17 15:25:36

I would assume if she's immediately calling the baby Bee that Deborah has some family significance.

Emileee80 Fri 01-Dec-17 15:39:18

Yes I guess the siblings names do fit well together seeing as they are both OT. No family significance I don't think....she made a point of saying that they love the name, and also that she will be Bee not Debi!

I'm really warming to it and she will almost certainly be the only Deborah in our school!

ladybirdsaredotty Fri 01-Dec-17 16:01:57

Aww I love it! My DD has a boy called Nick in her class, which I also love smile

greendale17 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:03:19

Don’t like it at all. Very dated.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 01-Dec-17 16:19:08

I had a lovely, lively, funny, gorgeous friend called Deborah, sadly no longer with us, do it has all of those smashing connotations for me. She was always Deb but I think Bee is lovely 🐝

SnowyPolarBear Fri 01-Dec-17 17:37:00

I would never use it. Very dated and not a particularly nice name.

Pemba Fri 01-Dec-17 17:57:57

It's a nice name - has a nice sound. And from the Bible, like pps said. Yes it was very popular in the 60s, but so what? Some people are very narrow minded about names and perceived 'datedness'.

DramaAlpaca Fri 01-Dec-17 17:59:09

It's really lovely, especially with the nn Bee.

EmmaGrundyForPM Fri 01-Dec-17 18:00:12

OuchBollocks

me too!

Blahblahblahzeeblah Fri 01-Dec-17 18:01:37

Tbh I prefer Deborah to the hundreds of Amelias, Olivias etc

Lules Fri 01-Dec-17 18:04:42

I love Deborah. The only one I know is Jewish so I associate it more with that than a 60/70s name.

catsarenice Fri 01-Dec-17 18:23:08

@Flippetydip yes!!! There was a girl in my class called Deborah - she hated it after that episode of Men Behaving Badly aired!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now