Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Mary

(52 Posts)
goldenslumbers1 Mon 27-Nov-17 00:08:12

Hi all,

DH and I have a very short name shortlist for our first baby, due in Feb.

We’re having a surprise - boys name has been decided, but we can’t quite agree on a girls name.

DH likes Beatrice but I prefer Mary - I think Beatrice is a little formal, and he thinks Mary a bit plain and old fashioned!

Your thoughts please? No ideas re middle names for either name yet! confused

Buntysoven Mon 27-Nov-17 00:14:08

I actually like both. Beatrice is quite formal but I see Mary as sweet rather than plain. Beatrice Mary is lovely!

stopbeingadramallama Mon 27-Nov-17 00:14:48

Really don't like Beatrice.

Mary is nice but prefer Marilyn.

Pemba Mon 27-Nov-17 00:14:54

I like Mary, it is simple and classic. It may have been overused in the past but quite a few decades ago. I prefer it to Beatrice (although the French pronunciation is nice, 'beer-triss' is not a particular attractive sound, although it seems fairly popular). Mary sounds fresh again now.

octonaught Mon 27-Nov-17 00:15:41

Mary is probably due for a revival. I don't think I have met a single one in RL

NamasteNiki Mon 27-Nov-17 00:16:05

I love Mary.

Beatrice is alot more common.

Just so you know Prince Andrew's daughter is Beatrice Elizabeth Mary. So they've used the combination of names which are nice.

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 27-Nov-17 00:16:38

Mary is a really sweet name - you have just reminded me of the Mary Plsin books I adored as s child!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 27-Nov-17 00:23:24

Yes definitely. Very sweet pretty elegant and strong.
MN ideas
Mary Beth
Mary Alice
Mary Jane
Mary Grace
Mary Kate
Mary Frances
Mary Anna
Mary Faith
Mary Elena
Mary Teresa
Mary Eliza
Mary Florence

AnyaMoondial Mon 27-Nov-17 03:03:28

I absolutely love both. Beatrice is very sweet and pretty, Mary is incredibly classic and warm. I think either way round works well too (Beatrice Mary or Mary Beatrice ). Excellent choices!

Iwanttousethatname Mon 27-Nov-17 06:37:56

I like both , also Beatrix?

liquidrevolution Mon 27-Nov-17 06:44:29

Mary was on my short name namelist!

Also

Anne
Fay
Lucy
Emma
Rose

Have a ridiculously long surname grin

ChocolateCrunch Mon 27-Nov-17 06:54:57

Not keen on Beatrice and its very popular right now.
Mary is classic. I don't know any young Marys, just one older Mary-Ann.

goldenslumbers1 Mon 27-Nov-17 07:21:39

Thanks everyone! It’s reassuring to know that people like Mary, because it really has fallen out of fashion, but I think it’s very pretty and deserves a comeback!

We won’t decide until baby arrives anyway, so I’ve still got time to convince DH. Although, our boys name was his first choice (name passed down through family), so I think it’s only fair I get to choose the girls name wink

DaisyDaisydoo Mon 27-Nov-17 07:24:08

I love both but prefer Mary. Classic and beautiful

helpmum2003 Mon 27-Nov-17 07:30:49

I love both and Bea is a cute nickname.

Love Mary Rose

17caterpillars1mouse Mon 27-Nov-17 08:57:25

I like both. If neither of you like the others choice though maybe you should keep looking until you find a name you both like

PandaCat Mon 27-Nov-17 08:57:56

I prefer Beatrice!

MammieBear Mon 27-Nov-17 09:26:08

As you say if OH has picked Boy's you should pick Girl's name if that's the way you're doing it, Mary is timeless.

SuperBeagle Mon 27-Nov-17 09:27:55

Prefer Mary, but would never personally use it because of the religious component.

MontyPants Mon 27-Nov-17 09:29:42

Eeek, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but in some places Mary is a euphemism for vagina. Mary is my middle name. I hate it because of this.

Meeep Mon 27-Nov-17 09:34:43

Mary is lovely and cute and so unusual these days. Totally vote Mary!

stopbeingadramallama Mon 27-Nov-17 09:39:20

@MontyPants yep hairy Mary. Forgot about thta😂

Idontlikeunicorns Mon 27-Nov-17 09:46:12

Sorry, where I live a Vjay is refered to as a ‘Mary’ 😳 so it’s what I think of first sorry OP. It’s the reason I don’t like Minnie either.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Mon 27-Nov-17 10:29:06

❤️ Mary.

LadyGAgain Mon 27-Nov-17 10:59:44

Mary is gorgeous

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: