Talk

Advanced search

Ziggy King

(62 Posts)
InRainbows Wed 22-Nov-17 05:58:28

I just love the name Ziggy and think a little girl called Ziggy would be the cutest name in the world! But you can't actually call your baby Ziggy... Can you?

SoulStew Wed 22-Nov-17 06:00:27

No. No you can’t. Please don’t.

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Wed 22-Nov-17 06:01:59

Ziggy's fine as a pet name when your child is young. As long as that's all it is.

drinkswineoutofamug Wed 22-Nov-17 06:03:34

No. Think of the child!
Are you a Bowie fan by any chance. Choose a nice solid name , that the child won't hate you forever, end up changing their name by deed poll and hating you for making their childhood hell.

Littlehouseonthepraririe Wed 22-Nov-17 06:05:14

As a nickname fine. Not as an actual name IMO smile

WellErrr Wed 22-Nov-17 06:05:29

'Ziggy's' was the name of the main takeaway in my home town. Fun fact.

Very odd name for a little girl.

CarlHickbread Wed 22-Nov-17 06:07:25

I think it would be better suited for a boy

InRainbows Wed 22-Nov-17 06:09:25

Wow, that prompted a lot of feedback! Thank you for confirming that calling a child this is not an option! I'm struggling with girl's name and think I might be clutching at straws!

eltsihT Wed 22-Nov-17 06:11:04

About 10 years ago I taught a little boy who was a ziggy. But as a teacher I wouldn’t blink an eye at it. Both my children have foreign names

eltsihT Wed 22-Nov-17 06:12:03

But also have more common names as middle names they can use if they don’t want to stand out that way later in life.

AuntieStella Wed 22-Nov-17 06:20:26

It's a boy's name. Probably best as a MN for Sigismond?

Though on Grange Hill it was just a random NN - or was it? I've just had a quick Google and it's not clear if he had a 'real' name as well

TroysMammy Wed 22-Nov-17 06:26:58

AuntieStella his name was Eric.

AuntieStella Wed 22-Nov-17 06:37:20

Thank you Troysmammy

Perhaps Erica or Heather, OP?

17caterpillars1mouse Wed 22-Nov-17 08:44:13

I thought not when i saw it but I don't like it and if King is the surname it sounds way too rockstar. Not in a good way. Imagine if she's a shy little thing it would be such a hard name to pull off

daimbar Wed 22-Nov-17 08:47:23

It’s a fabulous name and I know an adult Ziggy who loves her name - I say go for it!

lovelyjubilly Wed 22-Nov-17 08:49:00

I taught a boy called Ziggy a couple of years ago. He had the wildest afro around and the name suited him perfectly! Can't imagine the name on anyone else though, especially not a girl.

Lavabravacava Wed 22-Nov-17 08:52:11

I'd say yes but give her a more "normal" name and shorten it to Ziggy.

sparechange Wed 22-Nov-17 09:09:11

I went to primary school with a boy called Ziggy. He was from the traveller community

And I know a woman who goes by Siggy, short for Sigrid. She is Swedish.

ShotsFired Wed 22-Nov-17 09:12:58

@Lavabravacava I'd say yes but give her a more "normal" name and shorten it to Ziggy

This is the least worst option. Or get a hamster and use it for that.

(Saying that I've just seen "Kyson" which sounds like someone tried to say three names at once. Compared to that, Ziggy sounds pretty harmless.)

SuperBeagle Wed 22-Nov-17 09:14:53

I think it's horrible.

Someone in my family briefly considered it with their last baby, but it got a resounding "Hell no" from the rest of the family, and she didn't end up going with it.

winterhappiness Wed 22-Nov-17 10:39:59

There was a female Ziggy on Australian Survivor this year. I think she was an Olympican. I don’t know if it was short for another name, but Ziggy really suited her ! I think it’s a great name! If you like it, I think you should go for it!! Definitely not the most unusual name I’ve heard of ! smile

buttercup54321 Wed 22-Nov-17 22:58:54

Its terrible.
Zoe nickname Ziggy
Xanthe
Maggie
peggy
Penelope
Isabelle (Izzy)
Tamara (Tizzy)
Michaela
Sara

bridgetreilly Wed 22-Nov-17 23:22:24

I've only known male Ziggys so I wouldn't pick it for a girl anyway.

CrypticClues Thu 23-Nov-17 00:44:33

I think it's great! If you're not sure, how about calling her something like Zoe Ingrid King? Then just call her Ziggy anyway – you can claim it as a nickname, and if she loves it her whole life, great. If she doesn't she has two pretty names to work with.

Battleax Thu 23-Nov-17 01:10:21

Ziganna is a Hungarian (?) girls' name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now